Augusta...Downtown, Medical District, Old Towne

socaguy

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There was an article in the Metro Spirit talking about bringing big name businesses downtown. The Downtown Authorit is set to send out recruitment packages to 400 businesses but I may be wrong in thinking that they are a little to late. With the Augusta Mall expanding and the addition of the Villages at Riverwatch and the lifestyle center on Walton Way a lot of businesses are going to be taken. Sure there will still be some businesses that could come to downtown but the pool will be much smaller. This should have been thought about 4 years ago.

Here's the article.

The current owners of the old JB Whites Building downtown have almost reached a deal with Atlanta developers who want to turn the building into upscale apartments. This was oringinally the current owners plan for the building but other projects that they are involved in took precedence.

Awesome... I assume/hope they intend to keep the first floor as retail. That's one of the best retail spaces on Broad St. It'll need to be subdivided before it can attract a restaurant or small shop, so I hope that's part of the plans... I also hope the water tower stays...

Did anyone see the 2006 in review article in today's Chronicle by the director of the DDA?

The most surprising stat from the article was that downtown had a net GAIN of 63 businesses and 269 jobs. While I never noticed a huge amount of progress (an unfamiliar storefront here and there), a gain of 63 businesses is a huge deal, and downtown will be looking good if that pace continues through 2007...

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/030507/yrb_118640.shtml

• 4 weeks later...

Good article covering many of Augustas proposed Downtown project. I agree with the prediction that Harrisburg neighborhood is one to watch. Its so close to everything (DT, Med District, Summerville) and has a large stock of nice older homes just waiting to be gentrified.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like city commissioners are now throwing around the idea of putting a new 5000 seat stadium on a parcel on or near the ground of the Golf Hall of Fame and Gardens on Reynolds street. Im all for a new stadium Downtown but would rather see one on or near the canal...since it is so neglected, unlike the river area.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The governor and our mayor met with Cal Ripken Jr to discuss relocating the Greenjackets stadium downtown next to the Botanical Gardens and Golf hall of fame. Of course this would help out the gardens a lot since funding was cut and Cal Ripken and the mayor are very optimistic. If this goes through downtown will definitely be booming again with library and the condos coming and other residential develpments as well as the Village at Riverwatch a few miles away. I'm glad to see some developments happening along the river and the canal. Here's an article from the chronicle...Article

The MCG expansion in Augusta could start soon..here are the details..

Unfortunately according to the article MCG is still considering adding a satellite branch to Athens that would accomodate 40 students. Surely there's a enough room in Augusta to handle those additional 40 students.

There is also a sign for some sort of MCG project way out on Washinton rd. in Evans. Not sure what that is....anyone know?

Well its not going to be part of the school side of MCG but just a medical facilty like those branches that University has all around town. There was an article about it in the chronicle several months back and a link to it may be posted somewhere in the forum.

The Watermark project is set to begin construction in Decmeber. The developer is currently looking for a hotel to also be located on the property. The project will 60,000 sq ft. of retail and office space located in the old depot buildings.