Augusta...Downtown, Medical District, Old Towne

socaguy

Well, according to the article, its a 6 acre site... That's a pretty large area, and I'd anticipate that they would try to use most of the site, meaning a shorter tower... Of course, depending on how they have to work around the train depot, it could result in an interesting design...

The way I see it, they HAVE to put a tower there to enable river views. A sprawling 3-4 story structure would barely be able to see over the bluff and the riverwalk, so that wouldn't create very many units with water views... And I don't think it could be too tall either, since, like I said, 6 acres is a lot of land to build on in a downtown area...

The Augusta-Richmond Co. Coliseum Authority welcomed new board members whose goals include getting bigger acts to come perform in the Civic Center. This has always been an issue with the Civic Center as many acts don't come because it's not big enough. Anyway here is more info.

an update on the St. Joseph's Hospital situation here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Building adequate parking may be a problem for the new Augusta Library. The libarary will sit on 2 acres of land and after being built only about an acre of land will be available for parking. That will only make 60-80 parking spaces and 30 across the street and to be at code they must have 300 spots. The library will ask two churches to have use of their parking lots and hope that the county will waive the 300 requirement. Officials are also looking at the cost of a parking deck.

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome! I can't wait to check out some films at these theatres. The Miller refurb is one of the most exciting things happening right now in Augusta. If these are successful, it will be a great boost to the energy and reputation of downtown...

I thought this was a pretty good article in the Metro Spirit about people moving back downtown: Here

That was an excellent article. I wouldn't mind buying a condo downtown myself if it were made more nicer and more accessible retail or other businesses I frequent.

• 2 weeks later...

SNO-CAP, a drive-in restaurant in North Augusta that is over 40 years old will be featured on a special on SCETV. The special covers drive-in restaurants and drive-in movie theatres in South Carolina. There are only three historic drive in restaurants left in South Carolina. Also Monetta's drive in theatre will be featured. Here's the full article.

My bad, this should be under the aiken county thread.

Edited by PJA