Augusta...Downtown, Medical District, Old Towne

socaguy

good to see the project underway, i notice it was block off by gates so i assumed construction would start soon. Great addition its supposed to bring 700 new jobs. Now the shopping center off wheeler rd & the old davidson building need to start construction since they're block off by gates also.

• 1 month later...

Interesting. Is this new construction and if so what did they tear down in place of this? A shopping Center as well? Are we talking about maybe street front retail or an actual strip center? I certainly HOPE its not a strip center. I couldnt imagine that on 9th street! Other than that its exiting to see more residential coming to DT!

Where on 9th Street I wonder? I'm trying to think of where the 900 block is. It must be between Telfair and Walton Way. Either way it sounds like great news for the city. I'm with Socaguy. One can only hope that isn't not a strip mall.

Edited by Pillsbury

Google Maps puts 901 9th St. right at Fenwick. The story from WRDW seems to infer that these townhomes (3 floors) are part of a larger group of development around this block including the new courthouse, the shopping center, and single-family homes. The story also mentions that the Rivermark is still expecting a groundbreaking around the first of the year.

http://www.wrdw.com/news/headlines/9160866.html

My unfortunate guess (given the current condition of the block and the name 'The Enclave') is that this will be a gated townhome complex rather than an urban, sidewalk-oriented design. I hope to be proven wrong...

Edited by Topher1

Has anybody heard about them adding stairs to get to & from the canal & them cleaning up parts of it for kayak, & white water rafting. Its progressive ideas like this that augusta has been yawning for. We need a water park since we have the savannah river, but rafting on the canal is a good start.

The Augusta Commission also said yes to a plan that could extend the life of the Georgia Golf Hall of Fame's Botanical Gardens. The city is asking to lease the Gardens for one dollar for the next eight months from the Hall of Fame. Of course, keeping up the gardens will cost more. The hope is to keep the gardens going and open to the public through private funding.

And it was yes to some improvement along the Augusta canal. The idea is to create a park from the 12th Street bridge to Hawk's Gulley along 15th and Broad Street. The city will spend a half million dollars on it.

Another idea Commissioner Andy Cheek pitched wasn't as easy to sell. He wants to create a second canal along Ellis and 12th streets lined with shops. That floats to another meeting.

it would be cool if augusta had waterways directly in downtown with boats going through the city while ppl walked around shopping & eating. Then we would have this, the canal, & savannah river, i know they would have to build a waterpark then because it would already be a mini one.If andy cheek gets this passed augusta would have came along way & could hopefully have more out of the box things when we think of augusta.

Also has anybody heard about when the redevelopment of lower broad will start since the condos downtown will start the physical construction in january & land preparation has already started. Now we just need the kroc center to get off & running to help new construction in the harrisburg area.

Edited by augga706

For some reason I thought about a year or so ago a developer bought some of the older buildings on lower broad street and was going to redevelop them into office/retail space through renovation. I havent heard anything else of this since.

Also, any updated on the JB Whites building.

I LIKE that 2nd canal idea but lets work on the one Augusta has first!

• 2 weeks later...

The new Cardiovascular Center at University hospital topped out its steel skeleton at 4 floors in early August. The building, at 200,000 sq. ft. is the last phase in University Hospitals biggest expansion/renovation project in its history.

I was hoping for something a little taller than 4 floors. I mean, with 200,000 sq. ft. they could have easily had a 10 foor building. HOWEVER....they are leaving space for an additional 3-4 floors to be added later, so we could eventually see a 7-8 floor building come out of this in the end.

It looks like an attractive building in the renderings. Has anyone seen the building yet or know in what part of the complex, (what street) it is being built?

• 3 weeks later...

I read online the other day they made the final decision on where the new Judicial Center will be. It will be at the intersection of James Brown Boulevard and Walton Way. Along with the townhomes being built, the new Library and everything else slated for that area, this, once sleepy and rundown part of Downtown is destined to become a thriving center with shops, restaurants and new mixed use projets near the canal.

• 1 month later...

Here is a link to the rendering of the new Headquarters library Downtown. This will look nice alongside the new Judicial Center and the townhomes going up in that part of DT.

http://www.ecgrl.org/hq_building.htm

Yeah i saw the pictures of the library earlier. It looks nice but why does it take 2 yrs to build a library with only 5 floors. The interior or exterior of the library must be something unique to take that long. The spaghetti juction will only take 3 yrs to complete 1 less than the library.

Edited by augga706

• 2 weeks later...

Some info on whats happening in downtown augusta

Christmas lightup spectacular downtown. Phase I of this exciting million dollar project will include new lights for Laney Walker Blvd., Broad Street, and the Commons.

Demonstration Streetscape Project

The DDA has completed the construction drawings for this 10th Street project from Broad to Ellis Street. Construction is expected to be finish by the Masters Tournament in 2008.

This highly visible block and the original home of Paine College will get a facelift with a new sidewalk with brick borders, street furniture, landscaping, new street lights and banners.

Greenway Improvements, History Museum Railroad Corridor

With the construction of the Watermark Condominium Project and the History Museum

• 3 weeks later...

Medical College of GA expansion

MCG's master plan for expansion over the next five years

- Common classrooms that could serve both a new dental school building and a School of Medicine expansion

- Expanding the School of Medicine from a maximum of 200 per class to 240

- Relying on the Gilbert Manor property in order to grow

Though a new building for the School of Dentistry is already in the planning stages, school officials are also envisioning a new building to expand the School of Medicine from a maximum of 200 per class to 240. And now the two might be done in conjunction "in such a way that they both retain their identities as schools but share common spaces to create a better value for the state and synergy between the two schools," Dr. Ash said.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/120407/met_175450.shtml

Edited by augga706