Best pizza in the South?

upstate29650

This is a poll of sorts. What is your favorite local pizza place? Try to not refer to chains. I got this idea from the "Best Fried Chicken" poll. Hey, we love pizza in the South also!

I will break my own rules & mention two chains that are based in the South that rock. Double Dave's, primarily in Texas, and the venerable Mellow Mushroom. Yeah, I know Papa Johns is based in KY, (as is Pizza Hut, being part of Louisville-based YUM Foods), but, they are pure evil. :lol:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pizza by the Pound in Paducah, KY is GREAT!!! They have awesome semi-thin crust pizzas with huge end crusts you eat with honey, its amazingly good and affordable. They of course have a 8-9 pd pizza as well, thus where the "Pizza by the Pound" name comes from, although I think "pizza by the pound" as a concept might have originated in the Chicago area.

Pagalia's Pizza in Murray, KY has some of the best thin crust pizza around IMO. Simply amazing stuff. Its actually some sort of independant franchise, but they are far and few between. The one in Murray has been around since the 1970s and is a college hang out (Murray State University).

• 2 months later...

In North Carolina:

Elizabeths Pizza in Sanford. Two locations off US 1

-off the Spring Lane Exit

-off the US 15/501 & BUSINESS US 1 exit (north of downtown Sanford)

Vitos Pizza in Southern Pines and Pinehurst. There pizza is a rip off ($12 for a plain??????) but they do a fair job. You can get a large plain for cheap in Staten Island for $11-12 where most places in NJ charge $9 for a large plain.

then getting downhill a bit in quality/etc

Primos Pizza

-Raeford Road in Fayetteville

-Cross Creek Mall in Fayetteville

The best pizza in the world reigns in northern & central New Jersey, New York City and Long Island, no question about it. Nothing against the south on this one.

Well I work at the Loop Pizza & Grill, which is corporately headquartered in Jacksoville with several nearby locations. They were not a chain just a couple years ago, but now we are in several states, and we feature excellent pizzas of every type, burgers, sandwiches, salads and soups, and many other foods. It is a good restaraunt that is fairly quick and moderately priced. Within a few years we hope to have 250 locations which I doubt will happen (going from 27 to 250), but we have investors and incentive and demand! If one opens up near you give it a try because it IS really good.

As for purely local joints, try Moon River Pizza in Murray Hill, which offers a modern atmosphere like the Loop, but is focused mainly on pizzas.

Also try Pizza Palace, which has a few local locations and is also VERY good. Once again, these are just pizza restaraunts near my side of town that I'm familiar with, there could be several others on the Southside and at the Beaches and in St. Augustine

Tuscaloosa is hurting in the pizza department.

Of what we have, the best independent delivery-type pizza place is Broadway Pizzeria (wood-fired), the best chain is Mellow Mushroom, the best "sit-down" pizzeria is California Underground in Northport (very funky original decor from California transplant owner), and the best overall Italian is DePalma's downtown.

The best pizza I've tried in the Birmingham area is at Tortuga's in a small strip-mall location in Hoover.

Despite the cramped, out-of-the-way location, they have Chicago-style pizza comparable to that I've eaten in Chicago.

Yea yea yea, we also have Mellow Mushroom, let's come up with more originals. Actually this is my excuse for adding one to the list for Jacksonville, adn that is a local chain with only three or four stores, Al's Pizza. It's very retro and the pizza/some Italian food is muy excelente! A little expensive, but worth it!

Greg's pizza here was a lot of locals favorite pizza. It has a different name now, but I cannot recall. I always thought they were too greasy, but there were good. :rolleyes:

Now, Little Italy seems to be a local favorite, but still Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa Johns, Ci-Ci's as well as others still get most of the business.

Primanti Bros. in Fort Lauderdale.

Casola's in Miami

Frodo's Pizza in Greenville. AMAZING!

They've expanded in the same area not too long ago, so hopefully soon, they'll go beyond their original territory and some of y'all will soon have the chance to experience the incredible-ness that is Frodo's.

Archived