Westin Poinsett Rooftop Sign

gs3

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, 100%! It'd be great if both the Bi-Lo Center and the Liberty Bridge changed color like the BMW ITC at CU-ICAR. Or, at the very least, have it lit up different colors at different times of the year or for various long-running events.

As for the color, g-man430, my wife agrees that it looks pink to her. We drove by this evening just before the hockey game and it was looking pink then; however, I think that's just because the sun hadn't completely set yet.

It looks red to my eyes. The third photo above was taken using a longer exposure setting and a higher white balance, so it may have distorted the color somewhat. The other two photos were taken with normal automatic settings.

I'm not trying to sound picky, but the third photo looks more natural on my computer. But I understand what you're saying about the difference in perspectives. Having the center lit up is really a no-brainer, just as g-man430 said! :rolleyes:

In many cities there are large spotlights shining into the night sky beckoning people to come visit an event. I've seen these a few times in Greenville, but it ought to happen every home game. Maybe the Drive could incorporate this idea as well?

I'm not trying to sound picky, but the third photo looks more natural on my computer. But I understand what you're saying about the difference in perspectives.

I think the automatic settings chose a higher ISO value due to the lower light and shorter exposure...it looks that way anyway due to the graininess/noise on those two images. That may also be why it looks red in those two? Anyways - we should have an off-topic thread for photography. :lol: The bottom line is still that the Bi-Lo center looks OUTSTANDING :wub: lit up as it is and it's a shame that they don't do it year-round. :thumbsup:

The first two look red, the third looks pink. Bi-Lo Center should do this year round....Green for St. Pattys, Blue/Red for 4th of July, Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness, Red/Green for Christmas, Orange for Halloween, Yellow for troops at war, etc, etc.

• 1 year later...

I would like to see the sign restored but I would be more in favor of updating the look of it. I'd rather it be the backlit floresent kinds like they have on the other building downtown and it would be nice to have a logo incorporated. I'm not sure if the hotel uses the Poinsett flower in any of their other communications.

Most people around these parts call it the Poinsett Hotel, the current sign (not in working order) says Hotel Poinsett but it would look pretty classy to have a new sign that says Westin Poinsett with a Poinsett flower off to the right side (yes, I know it's technically not a flower but you get my point)

I think that the sign should be fixed, as is. The Poinsett Hotel, not the Westin Poinsett, is a name that is recognized around the area by numerous generations. Westin has done a good job of restoring the hotel instead of gutting it and completely redoing it, and I doubt that they have to worry about confusion over what the building is.

As it stands, I consider the sign to be of historical significance. If it is altered to read "Westin Poinsett," I consider that nothing more than the tackiest form of advertising.

I think that the sign should be fixed, as is. The Poinsett Hotel, not the Westin Poinsett, is a name that is recognized around the area by numerous generations. Westin has done a good job of restoring the hotel instead of gutting it and completely redoing it, and I doubt that they have to worry about confusion over what the building is.

As it stands, I consider the sign to be of historical significance. If it is altered to read "Westin Poinsett," I consider that nothing more than the tackiest form of advertising.

Well it looks like with all the Hotel competition coming into the area the Poinsett is looking into getting their old sign back into working order and lit up like it used to be, personally i think this great idea and can't wait to see it.

Didn't the Drive stadium project intentionally do a similar sign on top of the condo portion for New York life? Here's a picture I found. Neon, some color, above the roof line, supposedly would have had been approved by the city design and preservation people. Must fit the image the city of Greenville has of itself.

• 5 months later...

Archived