Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JunktionFET

Semi-old map of Greensboro

I was going through some old stuff that I believe came from my grandfather when he passed away almost 5 years ago. One of the things was an old fold-up map of Greensboro and Guilford County, copyright 1984 (if I can read Roman numerals correctly).

It's an interesting glimpse of the area. It shows Business 85 as "Temporary 85", and the real route we know today is marked as "Under Construction", on the part of the county that the map shows anyway. US-220 is not shown as a freeway, and the PTI airport is labeled as "Friendship Regional Airport". US-311 in High Point shows up as a non-freeway, and all the train tracks are still shown as "Southern Railway".

It lists the 1980 population as 154,763, and it has all the local utility providers, state and local tax data, and things like the number of churches (350, 34 dominations), and schools (48 Public, 14 Private, 34 outside the city limits), and provides some additional detail.

Interesting. I happen to have an old Esso map of North Carolina from 1972.

I thought the airport has always been known as PTI. Of course, this was before I was born.

I'm not surprised that US-220 and US-311 were still regular roads. If I'm not mistaken, US-220 was routed along Randleman Road and hit I-85 at Death Valley.

If I'm not mistaken, US-220 was routed along Randleman Road and hit I-85 at Death Valley.

You are correct and for some interesting US 220 history, click here. Just for the heck of it, why not route US 220 through Greensboro along Randleman Road/Freeman Mill into DT (freeman mill breaks up into two way streets [spring and Edgeworth]) then turn onto Battleground? Theres way too many multiplexed routes through death valley and US 29/70 (O'Henry Blvd). If US 220 needs more importance for quicker travel , i would route it along I-40 to NC 68. The mileage is about the same between the current US 220 routing and the I-40/NC 68/ US 220 juncture in SW Rockingham County route.

Somewhat in comparison, US 401 was originally routed through DT Raleigh, shifted along the beltway then back into DT probably because TOO many routes were multiplexed on the beltline.

Interesting. I happen to have an old Esso map of North Carolina from 1972.

I thought the airport has always been known as PTI. Of course, this was before I was born.

I'm not surprised that US-220 and US-311 were still regular roads. If I'm not mistaken, US-220 was routed along Randleman Road and hit I-85 at Death Valley.

I have read about this "Death Valley" here in Greensboro. Is that stretch along 1-85 that curves around and there are exits for Sanford and is just south of downtown? That section on 85 can be scary to drive thru...

I have read about this "Death Valley" here in Greensboro. Is that stretch along 1-85 that curves around and there are exits for Sanford and is just south of downtown? That section on 85 can be scary to drive thru...

Your correct. With the opening of the I-85 bypass south of the city, the old stretch of I-85 (Including Death Valley), has become Business 85.

Death Valley consists of the following routes: Interstate 40, Business 85, US-29, US-70, US-220, and US-421. They all come together to form the craziness. I'd hate to be out there tonight.

I hate "Death Valley"

I try to take the bypass 85 to the south, not the business now

Death Valley is a classic time warp road. It was a road built in the early 60's and it's not built to handle the sprawl of the mid 2000's.

Its true. Before the Interstate hwys were even built in Greensboro, all highway traffic was directed through the heart of downtown. Summit Ave was actually highway 29 before the current one which bypasses downtown was built. 421 went through downtown as well as 220. Interstates were built to parallel these old highways which now bypasses downtown

On the southwest side of town High Point Rd was alternate US29-70 (29-A, 70-A) in 1980. High Point Rd was the original US29-70 before it was bypassed by the current Business 85, US29-70.

Hey Cityboi,

The coolest old map of Greensboro that I've seen is in the library at UNCG. Its in the archive section; second floor I think. Check it out: you can see a trolley that ran along Spring Garden. Pretty cool.

Hey Sean,

alot of the trolley tracks are still under the pavement. Some people have suggested that they reuse the old tracks for a future trolley. I know the trolley tracks exist under Summit Ave. and they ran from downtown to the northeast side of the city near the old Revolution and Cone Mills plant.

Hey Sean,

alot of the trolley tracks are still under the pavement. Some people have suggested that they reuse the old tracks for a future trolley. I know the trolley tracks exist under Summit Ave. and they ran from downtown to the northeast side of the city near the old Revolution and Cone Mills plant.

I have a few books in my collection that includes retro pictures of Greensboro from the 1940's-1970's. A lot of the downtown ones show all of these wires hanging over the streets. Are those the trolleys?

I have a few books in my collection that includes retro pictures of Greensboro from the 1940's-1970's. A lot of the downtown ones show all of these wires hanging over the streets. Are those the trolleys?

Yes they are Roadgeek. Trolleys were very common during those day. When they were first introduced, there were run by power companies and the trolley lines typically ended at amusement parks to increase ridership. But buses then replaced those trolleys before the 1950s because they could go anywhere. today cities are trying to bring back those trolleys which is great transportation for those who live in the downtown areas. Its alot more expensive to build a trolley system today then it was in the old days. It runs in the millions just to construct a 2 mile leg. But if cities can reuse old network lines, it would cut cost down dramatically. Action Greensboro is discussing the potential for bringing back streetcars. Winston-Salem is also doing studies. The plann for Winston-Salem is to run a trolley from Baptist Hospital all the way to Piedmont Triad Research Park. It would be the longest trolley line in the state if built. Charlotte is planning to build in uptown streetcar system as well and is further along than Winston and Greensboro.

The trolley tracks that ran along Spring Garden Street were dug up and removed when they did major renovations to that road a few years ago. (as they widened the road and added the cement lane dividers) I would imagine that if there are any left buried under road pavement, given what happened on Spring Garden, there isnt any real plan to go in that direction again.