Cap. City Bank Property @ Calhoun/Tennessee

poonther

Anyone know what's going on here? They just tore down the ugly grey building that was there. It use to house some of Capital City Bank's operations.

Does Capital City Bank plan to keep ownership of the property? If so what are their plans for the property?

Anyone know the history of this property? What was it first built as? And what the heck was up with that ugly massive grey concrete arm that use to stick out from it? Did that use to be a sign of some sorts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recently a sign was posted out in front of this demo area that states that Capital City Bank will be building their Trust Offices here (thanks for the "heads-up" on that sign AlaninTally) Good to see that the land will not be vacant. T.J. have any drawings be submitted to the City of how this building will look? It's got to better than the ugly ole dinosaur that was there before. I doubt it will be a tall building, two floor probably, three at max??

I've called around about this project today and I'll say this one is a bit more difficult to get information on as it doesn't qualify as a major and ongoing project. However, all hope isn't lost. If I have the time I could make it over to the growth management division which is located just down Adams street, on the second floor there is a computer system set up that allows all interested parties to research project documents and renderings. If I can't make it would be great if someone else wants to get down there and do this research.

I wish it were in City Hall, but we are in the process of reorganizing things here in the building and things change on a daily basis around here.

But if you want the info:

408 N. Adams

2nd Floor

I'll see if I can get over there next week TJ. Thanks for the info. you've given so far.

I made-up my signature line about 4 years ago when the City was searching for a new slogan. They had some type of committee formed, but I don't think they ever came up with one. I never submitted that slogan, I just used it on my emails and etc. They city hasn't come up w/a new slogan have they? I know it use be "Tally:Floridaw/a Southern Accent" which is OK, but not too good for economic development if you ask me. And the other one was "Florida begins here." Which really isn't true. To me it begins over in the Pensacola area. I've seen Jax try and use that one a few times too.

I'm sure you know this TJ and that is why you picked it, but your signature line comes from an old song about Tallahassee that was performed by Bing Crosby and The Andrews Sisters which were both were very poplular during and just after WWII.

You're absolutely right about my sig!!! Finally someone figures it out. I actually think thats a great song and it should be piped through the side walks downtown so all can hear it.

To my knowledge we don't have a new slogan. I sure hate that one Florida, with a Southern Accent. Like you said... not good for economic development.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

As you can read here: Capital City Bank is going to fix and replace their demolished time & temp. sign at Monroe and Tenn. I'm glad to read that since it's sort of a landmark in downtown Tally. Yeah I know, landmark is pushing it. ;)

However a source told me that Cap. City's proposed bldg. at Calhoun and Tenn. may NOT be built. It was stated that cost for the bldg. was just too high. So it looks like that corner may stay vacant a lot longer than we thought. Hopefully if they decide not to build there, they will at least take down the two year old sign that states COMING SOON. Also I doubt they will sale that parcel to someone else. The Smith family tends to hang on to their land. Once Cypress moves into the Waterworks bldg, that entire block between Gadsden and Calhoun on both sides of Tenn. will be empty. Such a shame......

I have further confirmation of the cost issue, but my understanding was that was because of the way the current contractor priced out the current architect's drawings.

I did not take that to mean that nothing would be done there forever.

My suggestion to them was to sell that land in favor of buying 4 floors of the Floridan office condos to get that project off the ground.

• 5 months later...

UP Exclusive update! (Unless you drove by and saw it yourself)

There may be dirt moving on this project soon enough. There is now a trailer on the southeastern portion of the CCBank property (the side where there is already a bank) which os now fenced off. I believe the trailer belonged to Hines Construction Co. Anyway, the property in question, which is across Tennessee, is now fenced off (or maybe it always was), and the fence has a sign which reads Hines Construction Co. Was it ever confirmed how large this building is supposed to be?

UP Exclusive update! (Unless you drove by and saw it yourself)

There may be dirt moving on this project soon enough. There is now a trailer on the southeastern portion of the CCBank property (the side where there is already a bank) which os now fenced off. I believe the trailer belonged to Hines Construction Co. Anyway, the property in question, which is across Tennessee, is now fenced off (or maybe it always was), and the fence has a sign which reads Hines Construction Co. Was it ever confirmed how large this building is supposed to be?

SPC in post #14 of this thread, seminole states it will be a 4 story building w/one floor below ground. I ASSume that is still what the plan is???

We've been talking about this project for over 2 years. This should be called the tortoise building.

You know this is right in my backyard and I've noticed the trailer across from Cypress and the new sign on the property, I just forgot to mention it. Thanks for doing so. The fence surrounding the property has been there since they demolished the old structure 2 years ago, the fence surrounding the construction trailer is new, but there use to be one there before back when they were working on the Tennyson.

SPC in post #14 of this thread, seminole states it will be a 4 story building w/one floor below ground. I ASSume that is still what the plan is???

We've been talking about this project for over 2 years. This should be called the tortoise building.

You know this is right in my backyard and I've noticed the trailer across from Cypress and the new sign on the property, I just forgot to mention it. Thanks for doing so. The fence surrounding the property has been there since they demolished the old structure 2 years ago, the fence surrounding the construction trailer is new, but there use to be one there before back when they were working on the Tennyson.

Archived