Most dangerous, safest cities

Violent crimes are the total composite of Murders, Rapes, Robberies, and Assaults. Murders are actually a very small part of violent crime, with assault being the largest. So, while New Orleans actually has the second highest murder rate in the group, it's total violent crime rate is much lower. I'm guessing its because rapes and assaults are less likely to be reported in New Orleans than in other cities, but who knows.

BTW, this is how the cities rank for Murder rate:

1. Camden, NJ - 60.8

2. New Orleans, LA - 56.0

3. Gary, IN - 53.7

4. Richmond, VA - 47.3

5. Baltimore, MD - 43.5

6. Detroit, MI - 42.1

7. Compton, CA - 40.2

8. Washington, DC - 35.8

9. Richmond, CA - 33.8

10. St. Louis, MO - 33.7

11. Flint, MI - 32.3

12. Newark, NJ - 30.0

13. Jackson, MS - 29.3

14. Youngston, OH - 29.0

15. Atlanta, GA - 26.0

16. San Bernardino, CA - 25.3

17. Kansas City, KS - 25.3

18. Birmingham, AL - 24.8

19. Inglewood, CA - 22.3

20. Little Rock, AR - 21.5

Nobody can beat Highland Park, MI's murder rate: 101.0 per 100,000!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interestingly, Newton, MA, the safest city on the original list, shares a city line with Boston. It has a pop density around 4700/sqmi, and is denser than some of the bigger cities on later lists. BTW - Boston has had about 66 murders this year which is up from last year by a about 2. Any number of murders is too many, but Boston is still a very safe place as far as large US cities go.

nashville needs to be on that dangerous list. I couldnt NOT walk alone in that area. a guy tried to grab me with my hubby present. I kick his arse for that! I lived in Archstone Briley pkwy and it was a nice complex but it was kinda nervy even with teh gate. the gate didnt work alot of the time. I saw the gate people at the office all the time.

If you notice, Nashville is on a list of cities over 500,000. Right above Detroit no less. What you had happen would be an isolated event. Although, Nashville will surprise many people with several seedy areas. As a whole Nashville is a very safe metro. You just have to learn which area's are to be avoided, and which one's are safe to walk around without looking over your shoulder on a regular basis. I, personally feel very safe in Nashville, but then again I spent a lot of my youth growing up in St. Louis. You learn to put it out of you mind and move on with life. Don't let that one event get you down with the city. All metro's have looming dangers. Plus you sounded like you did all right for yourself.

well not if it kept recurring every week or two. it was horrible. traffic was bad. Not planned right ether. the damb lights would stay red forever. also was to sprawly where you had to go 30 miles to walmart, then another 20 to kroger, then another 50 to a mall, and then back home! nothing was centralized and nothing was close proximity to anything else. it was like a walmart was in teh middle of nowhere, then teh mall was too. also kroger was very hard to get into. most of the buildings there werent designed right. One employment agency's building was confusing since it had 6 entrances to get into different parts of the building, but only one took you to the actual tower. it was stupid.

I also hated the fact there were too many slums and too many homless people around.

also people would oogle at anyone that looked different. I have an excotic islander look to me and people there straed at me hard all the time. I was nervous even in t-shirt and jeans I had to wear conservative clothes all the time cause I felt I was going to get raped. Specially at the mall. I also had alot of snotty 1 gallon makeup preppy teens gawking at me that had that cold look in thier eyes. I hated it. and also all the young women had 10 kids dangling off them. They also wore too much perfume. They were sluty and they would make fun of people that didnt act like them and would do bad things to guys all the time.

I REALLY don't think you like it over there.... I don't know if you live there or not, but if I was that miserable, I would move.... :shok:

Besides, every city has problems.... (I guess I didn't realize how nice I have it?!?)

**Charlotte had a worse crime rate than Nashville, and I don't think it's too bad over here)

VIOLENT CRIME RATE FOR LARGE CITIES

Rank City V. Crime

1 Atlanta 2729.5

2 Baltimore 2419.6

3 Tampa 2254

4 Detroit 2253.9

5 St. Louis 2233

6 Orlando 2136.8

7 Miami 2105

8 Chicago 1910.9

9 Newark 1813.7

10 Wichita 1772.6

11 Kansas City 1749.1

12 Washington D.C. 1627.7

13 Nashville 1607.3

14 Philadelphia 1604.5

15 Charlotte 1554.3

16 Oakland 1550

17 Dallas 1414.3

18 Memphis 1410.5

19 Tallahassee 1410.2

20 Minneapolis 1388.7

21 Boston 1302.1

22 Los Angeles 1283.2

23 New Orleans 1273.2

24 Albuquerque 1250.7

25 Omaha 1238.8

26 Portland 1236.6

27 Cleveland 1214.9

28 Tulsa 1162.1

29 Richmond, VA 1142

30 Hartford 1126.3

31 Birmingham 1118.5

32 Buffalo 1077.2

33 New York 1063.1

34 Little Rock 1049.3

35 Milwaukee 1043.4

36 Jacksonville 1034.2

37 Indianapolis 1016.2

38 Fresno 992.2

39 Tucson 913.9

40 Greensboro 907.1

41 Pittsburg 877.6

42 Corpus Christi 870.4

43 San Fransisco 866.3

44 Oklohoma City 859.3

45 Columbus 854.6

46 Fort Worth 851.1

47 St. Paul 849.2

48 Phoenix 832

49 Raleigh 772.2

50 Seattle 767.3

51 Providence 753.5

52 Sacremento 752

53 Long Beach, CA 744.9

54 Cincinnati 732.6

55 Rochester 700.9

56 Toledo 688.4

57 El Paso 686

58 Anchorage 653.7

59 Arlington, TX 627.5

60 San Diego 598.4

61 Santa Ana 588.8

62 San Jose 580.9

63 Mesa 578.5

64 Denver 570.8

65 San Antonio 561

66 Colorodo Springs 548.5

67 Anaheim 547.3

68 Austin 529.1

69 Reno 506.6

70 Houston 446.1

71 United States 446.1

72 Honolulu 253.6

73 Virginia Beach 238.5

^^I don't know if I completely agree, but here are some stats.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Orlando is a DISGUSTING city!

We just went down there(to Disney World) and were secluded in paradise but we landed in the Orlando- Sanford International Airport and Sanford, FL is home to a bunch of mobile home parks, and High Crime. The only nice areas around Orlando are Heathrow, parts of Winter Park, Celebration, and Windermere. Oh and of course Disney World :D

I have noticed that most of florida's crime rate is relatively high, even in cities like Palm Beach and Naples

why is this?

^^You obviously dont know too much about orlando then. Sanford and the older parts of orlando are probably to two worst parts of the metro.

If those areas u listed are what you think of as the only "nice parts", what about winter springs, oviedo, maitland, altamonte springs, baldwin park, dr philips, avalon park, ucf area just to name a few, the list goes on and on.

Orlando is a DISGUSTING city!

We just went down there(to Disney World) and were secluded in paradise but we landed in the Orlando- Sanford International Airport and Sanford, FL is home to a bunch of mobile home parks, and High Crime. The only nice areas around Orlando are Heathrow, parts of Winter Park, Celebration, and Windermere. Oh and of course Disney World :D

I have noticed that most of florida's crime rate is relatively high, even in cities like Palm Beach and Naples

why is this?

I need to defend my city too. You can't visit Orlando on vacation for a week and think you've seen the whole city and then bad mouth it. You landed at the cheaper alternative to Orlando International which says a little about what you're all about to begin with. If you are cheap you will experience the less desirable parts of any area you happen to visit. There's a reason so many sports stars, celebrities, and retired CEO's choose to live in the Orlando area. It is a beautiful city with a great quality of life. That might also be why Disney, Universal, and Sea World all built parks here and why about 45 million people come visit every year. Spend a few bucks and visit the nice areas instead of searching for the nearest Golden Corral and cheapest meal and you might be surprised.

My home metro of Grand Rapids has to be close to number one safest metro overall for metros with over one million in population, when looking at both crime statistics and weather disaster statistics.

Morgan Quitno Press ranks Grand Rapids 8th safest for crime for metros with over 1,000,000 in population.

Risk and Insurance Magazine ranks Grand Rapids 7th safest for weather for metros with over 1,000,000 in population.

Safest 1,000,000+ Population Metros for Crime

Rank Metro								 

1  Monmouth-Ocean, NJ				   

2  Middlesex-Somerset-Hunterdon, NJ	

3  Bergen-Passaic, NJ				  

4  Orange County, CA					

5  Pittsburgh, PA					   

6  San Jose, CA						

7  Rochester, NY						

8  Grand Rapids-Muskegon-Holland, MI	

9  Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI		  

10  Providence-Fall River-Warwick, RI-MA
Safest 1,000,000+ Population Metros for Weather
Rank Metro

1  Sacramento, Calif.

2  Phoenix, Ariz.

3  Rochester, N.Y.

4  Columbus, Ohio

5  Buffalo, N.Y.

6  Cincinnati, Ohio

7  Grand Rapids, Mich.

8  San Diego, Calif.

9  Pittsburgh, Pa.

10  Hartford, Conn.

Pittsburgh is the only other metro on both lists...

EDIT: And Rochester!

My home metro of Grand Rapids has to be close to number one safest metro overall for metros with over one million in population, when looking at both crime statistics and weather disaster statistics.

Morgan Quitno Press ranks Grand Rapids 8th safest for crime for metros with over 1,000,000 in population.

Risk and Insurance Magazine ranks Grand Rapids 7th safest for weather for metros with over 1,000,000 in population.

Safest 1,000,000+ Population Metros for Crime

Rank Metro								 

1  Monmouth-Ocean, NJ				   

2  Middlesex-Somerset-Hunterdon, NJ	

3  Bergen-Passaic, NJ				  

4  Orange County, CA					

5  Pittsburgh, PA					   

6  San Jose, CA						

7  Rochester, NY						

8  Grand Rapids-Muskegon-Holland, MI	

9  Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN-WI		  

10  Providence-Fall River-Warwick, RI-MA
Safest 1,000,000+ Population Metros for Weather
Rank Metro

1  Sacramento, Calif.

2  Phoenix, Ariz.

3  Rochester, N.Y.

4  Columbus, Ohio

5  Buffalo, N.Y.

6  Cincinnati, Ohio

7  Grand Rapids, Mich.

8  San Diego, Calif.

9  Pittsburgh, Pa.

10  Hartford, Conn.

Pittsburgh is the only other metro on both lists...

Hello.... Rochester

• 2 weeks later...

Virginia's independent cities thing makes Richmond look worse than it is. The city's stats are much different from the metro's stats.

Besides, I feel safe here. Just don't go into the areas you know there will be crime.

Monmouth-Ocean, NJ {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Middlesex-Somerset-Hunterdon, NJ {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Bergen-Passaic, NJ

You can thank this for nearly every single municipality providing police protection. I can only come up with Farmingdale, Monmouth County that does not have a police department because it is so small (NJ State Police has jurisdiction NOT Howell Twp). Generally speaking, the police in Jersey are more concerned about public safety than pulling people over for bogus crap.

What is your opinion of the "good looking" ghettos in Orlando?

BTW IMO Parramore is worse looking than anything ive seen in Tampa/st pete and even miami (and yes ive seen liberty city)

I completely agree that Orlando has many "nice looking" ghettos. Orlando's newness can be very deceiving. Metrowest is a perfect example. Driving by on the outside it looks great, but anyone who lives there knows that there is a lot of crime. Parramore may be bad, but it is a very small area. Having lived in Tampa while going to USF and now living in Orlando, I think that Tampa has much worse ghettos based on appearance and size.

I completely agree that Orlando has many "nice looking" ghettos. Orlando's newness can be very deceiving. Metrowest is a perfect example. Driving by on the outside it looks great, but anyone who lives there knows that there is a lot of crime. Parramore may be bad, but it is a very small area. Having lived in Tampa while going to USF and now living in Orlando, I think that Tampa has much worse ghettos based on appearance and size.

I know pine hills and ivey lane are crime areas too

Archived