Skybar NWA l Northwest Arkansas Off-topic

Well I guess I'll go ahead and get this started before I leave for Thanksgiving travel. This was something Matt and I discussed about trying to do. We weren't sure if there would be much interest in the Arkansas general forum. Most of it may be between the two of us. But of course everyone else is invited to join in. Not sure if Matt will sticky this to the top or if we'll just let it float like the other topics. I'm hoping we can start a couple of more coffeeshop type topics about other things too. I've been wanting to start a topic dealing with drinks. It doesn't have to be alcoholic. But I do plan on discussing alcohol also in this topic. Eventually I'd like to also discuss things like favorite wines and such. But now I just thought I'd ask what does everyone like to drink? Any preferences? Starting off on a non alcoholic drink I'm a big tea drinker. I'll drink some black tea but I've become a big green tea drinker. Ironically I do carry over some southern traits to this. Unless it's winter I prefer my tea cold, yes even green tea. I also tend to prefer it sweetened at least a little too. I also like wine quite a bit. For stronger alcohols I like tequila and scotch. I usually drink tequila in the warmer months and scotch in the colder months. I bought a bottle of scotch just last week. Blended is okay but I really prefer single malt scotches. Eventually if we can get this topic going I'd go more into detail about some of my favorites of the drinks I've mentioned so far.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Idea Mith.

Do you want this in the Arkansas Forum or the NWA Forum?

For Non-alcholic drinks, I prefer frapuccinos from basically anywhere. I do prefer tea a lot as well.

I used to drink quite a bit of coffee but I've really cut back the past couple of years. Now I usually only drink it during the colder months. I guess if I had to pick where to put the topic I'd leave it here in the northwest Arkansas forum. I just figure it would be something to be in some of the other Arkansas forumers way over there. I certainly have no problem having the others joining in the conversation. But aside from Aporkalypse I get the impression many of the others prefer to stick mainly to developments and the 'real' news.

Hmmm...I thought I typed in Northwest Arkansas in the topic title.

Here I was hoping someone else would contribute. Oh well I guess I'll do the honors and hope someone else will join in. As I mentioned before in the winter I like to drink scotch. I prefer single malt over blended but it does get rather expensive for that. I'm a big fan of the Islay scotches, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Laphroig. I also like Talisker from the Isle of Skye quite a bit too. I don't drink a lot of the highland scotch but I do like Glenmorangie quite a bit. Which by the way ages it's scotch in barrels with oak from the Ozarks. Granted the wood comes from the Missouri Ozarks but still interesting to know the area helps contribute to Glenmorangie, the most popular scotch in Scotland itself. I'll get into some of my other favorites, alcoholic and non-alcoholic later.

Oops forgot another favorite, Highland Park from the Orkney Islands is also a very good scotch. In fact a lot of people recommend it as a really good all around scotch. It has qualities of many of the other regional scotches. A good single malt scotch to try out if you haven't tried single malt before.

I haven't tried scotch too much.

I prefer Daquiri's of anykind, although Stawberry is about my favorite.

Ah a rum man are ya? Nothing wrong with rum either. Scotch is great but it really doesn't mix with hardly anything. It's best to drink it straight or on the rocks. Then again with the prices most of them are it's probably better to drink it that way and not mix it with other stuff. When it's warmer I tend to switch over to tequila. Something I can drink straight and mix if I want. Although if I buy some of the better stuff I prefer to drink it straight and not mix it. I personally think lime and salt is for bad tequila, not something you do with better tequila. My favorites would probably have to be Don Julio, Patron, and Don Eduardo.

I haven't tried scotch too much.

I prefer Daquiri's of anykind, although Stawberry is about my favorite.

Hmmm...strawberry daquiri eh? I'll have to get you over to strawberry margaritas. :D Last time I checked On the Border made some decent margaritas up there in Rogers. Opt for the better ones, I'm pretty sure they have one mixed with real strawberries.

You got me, Rum is my thing. I prefer Captain Morgan's, but I don't mind Bacardi.

I actually like Strawberry Margaritas, but I prefer Daquiri's over anything.

On the border does make great Margaritas, but Abuelo's also has some good authentic one's as well.

It's been a while since I've bene to Abuelo's. A good thing about rum is that you can buy some really nice rum for some good prices compared to some other liquors. I've had quite a few people recommend Cruzan.

How about wine. Anyone prefer white or red? Any particular favorites? I seem to go back and forth. For the past year I've gotten back into mainly white wines. A lot of New Zealand's sauvignon blanc is really great stuff. I'm also a fan of German riesling, although it is sometimes hard to find any of the good stuff here in Arkansas. One that I've become a big fan of is a Portuguese wine called vinho verde (which I'm actually drinking at this moment). It's a dry raspy acidic wine, guess that's not the best sounding description, but it's actually a pretty good wine. It also tends to be a bit fizzy, not like champagne, but a little bit bubbly. And speaking of wine this year's beaujolais nouveau just came out in the last week. The first wine of the 2005 season.

Merlot for me.

Have you seen the movie Sideways? There's some references to Merlot in there. :lol: I used to drink mainlt red wine but I've been ina white wine mood for quite a while now. When I drank more red wine I usually went after some Australian shiraz. Cynthiana is a good red wine from Arkansas. Missouri has been doing some interesting things with it there. Although they call it Norton.

I had hoped to get someone else interested in this topic. But even if it were in the Arkansas forum, I'm not sure if there'd be any more responses. Well I wouldn't mind hearing some more opinions on some of the beverages I've mentioned already but thought I'd mention some more. How about coffee? Does anyone have any particular favorites? I used to be real big one the earthy Indonesian ones like Java and Sumatra. But I've been getting more interested in some other coffees. I have really gotten to enjoying Ethiopian Harrar. In some of the good ones you almost get a bit of a blueberry taste. I don't necessarily see if in coffeeshops much but I've been pretty impressed with what little I've seen from Bolivia. I'm wondering if they might be one of the next big coffee areas. There's a Fayetteville guy who goes down to Bolivia and buys a lot of coffee around the Caranavi area. He sells it in a number of the nicer grocery stores in the area. He also sells it to some of the restaurants in the area. But I'm not sure if they blend it with others. But for that matter does anyone have any particular styles they like? Espresso, latte, or just regular brewed coffee?

I like Latte's and Capuccino's.

I usually have one about once a week from either Starbucks or Coffee Corner in Bentonvilel.

To be honest I'm not that familiar with Starbuck's. I'm sure that would produce gasps from a number of people. I've gotten some things from the one in the Barnes & Noble here in Fayetteville. But it's not a real stand alone Starbuck's. I've been to a Starbuck's in Albuquerque once. But it's been a few years now. Anyone ever hear of Churchill's? I noticed Pine Bluff had one of those. I think they're based out of Springfield. So Matt since you're the only other person to respond here. Do you mainly just stick to latte and capuccino? Do you ever get flavored ones? Have you ever tried any regional coffees?

Anyone ever hear of Churchill's? I noticed Pine Bluff had one of those. I think they're based out of Springfield. So Matt since you're the only other person to respond here. Do you mainly just stick to latte and capuccino? Do you ever get flavored ones? Have you ever tried any regional coffees?

I actually have heard of Churchill's. They have locations in Springfield, and Lebanon, MO that I know of.

Have you ever had Turkish coffee where the coffee is brewed in little pots called ibriks? I usually prefer a cup of that over regular Joe. A few of my favorite coffee types are Hawiian Kona, Tanzania Peaberry, and Abyssinia Sidamo Yrgacheff.

I actually have heard of Churchill's. They have locations in Springfield, and Lebanon, MO that I know of.

Have you ever had Turkish coffee where the coffee is brewed in little pots called ibriks? I usually prefer a cup of that over regular Joe. A few of my favorite coffee types are Hawiian Kona, Tanzania Peaberry, and Abyssinia Sidamo Yrgacheff.

I don't think I've had any, I am familiar with the Turkish style though. I haven't heard the Yrgacheff referred to Abyssinia though. Usually I see it referred to as Ethiopian Yrgacheff. I think the Sidamo is a particularly good area for Yrgacheff. It's been a while since I've had any. I remember it being pretty good, but I think I'd have to go for Ethiopian Harrar if I was wanting something from that area.

I don't think I've had any, I am familiar with the Turkish style though. I haven't heard the Yrgacheff referred to Abyssinia though. Usually I see it referred to as Ethiopian Yrgacheff. I think the Sidamo is a particularly good area for Yrgacheff. It's been a while since I've had any. I remember it being pretty good, but I think I'd have to go for Ethiopian Harrar if I was wanting something from that area.

I havent' had Ethopian Harrar in a while.

Have you tried Hawiian Kona?

I havent' had Ethopian Harrar in a while.

Have you tried Hawiian Kona?

I had a Kona blend a while back. I thought it was okay, granted it was just a blend and not a full Kona. I bought some coffee earlier since we had been talking about it. Arsaga's doesn't appear to have the Harrar anymore, now they have an Ethiopian Blend. I wonder if it's a mix between Yrgacheff and a Harrar. Could be interesting. I'll have to try it tomorrow morning.

This is off the coffee topic, but has anyone heard that we have a good chance of snow on Wednesday. Around a 50% chance with Temp. around or below freezing.

Yeah I heard that. Interesting considering how warm it got today. They predicted mid to upper 50's today and unstead got close to 70. Wish I hadn't dressed so warmly for when I was out taking pics. I heard Wed high would be mid to upper 30's then Thurs high in the 20's. The highs haven't been too bad recently although Fayetteville has had some pretty cool mornings this past week. I think we made it down to 17 twice this past week.