Skybar NWA l Northwest Arkansas Off-topic

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone here about the lady who fell/jumped off of a 12th floor balcony at Hillcrest Towers last week. I saw a mention of it in the paper but never saw the news on why or how it happened.

Also there was a pretty big shootout at a Mexican restaurant at the corner of Sycamore and College Ave. The paper seemed to think that it was a Hispanic gang. Does anyone think that we are going to start having problems with gangs (hispanic or other) with the growth?

Did anyone here about the lady who fell/jumped off of a 12th floor balcony at Hillcrest Towers last week. I saw a mention of it in the paper but never saw the news on why or how it happened.

Also there was a pretty big shootout at a Mexican restaurant at the corner of Sycamore and College Ave. The paper seemed to think that it was a Hispanic gang. Does anyone think that we are going to start having problems with gangs (hispanic or other) with the growth?

I didn't hear anything about the woman at Hillcrest. But I was out of town quite a bit of last week. I did hear about the shooting too. I think there will be some problems at this area continues to grow. But I'm not ready to say this area will simply become just like many other areas. I believe the growth rate is still increasing at a faster pace than the increase in crime.

Yes. Also, the police agencies in NWA aren't prepared to handle increased gang activity. I think this area will also see a rise in illicit drugs and prostitution. The police already display a lack of ability to handle minor drug busts and police chases. As criminals and gangs witness more and more police incompetence their confidence will rise and we'll see more crimes being committed.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone had posted how to upload photos on urban planet using something called flickr or somthing like that. Can you please post that again, I would like to know how to add photos. Or maybe we could just start a topic on it so that everyone who would like to know can find it easily.

Thanks for the help everyone. :D

Someone had posted how to upload photos on urban planet using something called flickr or somthing like that. Can you please post that again, I would like to know how to add photos. Or maybe we could just start a topic on it so that everyone who would like to know can find it easily.

Thanks for the help everyone. :D

I use either flickr or image shack. Flickr has a limit on it unless you pay for a premium account. Basically you eventually get an account on one of these photo websites and upload your pic from your computer to those websites. Then on UP there's a little icon of a tree when you post. That's to put in a pic. You would right click on your pic on the photo website and then paste it on that icon. On photo shack they include a line of info where you can simply copy and paste that line and not even have to bother with that icon. Let me know if you have any other problems.

I use either flickr or image shack. Flickr has a limit on it unless you pay for a premium account. Basically you eventually get an account on one of these photo websites and upload your pic from your computer to those websites. Then on UP there's a little icon of a tree when you post. That's to put in a pic. You would right click on your pic on the photo website and then paste it on that icon. On photo shack they include a line of info where you can simply copy and paste that line and not even have to bother with that icon. Let me know if you have any other problems.

Thanks for the help Rod. I'll give it a try over the nest week or two.

Yeah, I don't think that I am posting pictures correctly! I opened an account on flickr and on lenzus and uploaded a photo to both photo hosting sites. Then when I try and add the photo onto UP it says (Sorry, dynamic pages in the %7Boption%7D tags are not allowed). So I am doing something wrong. I must be missing something simple but I generally don't get along w/ computers very well. So please dumb this down for me... :D

Yeah, I don't think that I am posting pictures correctly! I opened an account on flickr and on lenzus and uploaded a photo to both photo hosting sites. Then when I try and add the photo onto UP it says (Sorry, dynamic pages in the %7Boption%7D tags are not allowed). So I am doing something wrong. I must be missing something simple but I generally don't get along w/ computers very well. So please dumb this down for me... :D

Hmmmm....I've seen some websites that gave me a message about dynamic pages. But I haven't ever had that problem with flickr. Although I admit I rarely post from that one. I'm pretty sure though you go to the size of the pic you want to post and right click on the picture. Then select the copy image location. Then as you're posting on here click on the little tree icon and place that paste that info and hit enter. I haven't checked out lenzus before so not sure how they're set up.

Hey Matt looks like you're recently moved up to 6th place on the number of posts. Congrats. :D

Looks like we've also hit the 4000 mark on the coffeeshop forum as well. :D

Thanks, I didn't even notice.

What's even greater is that we have had about 500 posts in the past week, which puts us within 100 of passing Nashville. Keep up the good work guys.

When posting the photo, did you be sure to click on the tree icon and put the URL of the photo in there?

Personally, I use photobucket. They allow for up to about 10,000 photos free and they insert the IMG tags for you so all you have to do is click on the URL and put it in the post and you have a photo. I never really licked flickr for some reason.

Here's a step-by-step guide for using Flickr.com to uplaod pics on UP.

1. sign on to Flickr.com with existing Yahoo ID or Create a New Account

2. select "Upload Photos"

3. browse your harddrive for your pics and add them

4. click "Upload" below

5. click "Save" below

6. click on a picture in your photos

7. click on "All Sizes" from above the picture

8. right click picture and click "Properties"

9. highlight "Address" and right click and select "Copy"

10. On UP click the "Insert Image" (tree) icon above the text box of your post

11. paste address into the explorer user prompt (don't duplicate the http:// in the address)

NOTE: Be sure not to delete a picture from flickr.com that you've posted on a forum or it will no longer show up on the forum.

There are plenty of image upload services around nowadays. I find the more obscure ones to be better as they don't place any limits on you. I'll try to come up with a list when I get home.

However, sites like Flickr makes things a little easier for you since they will automatically resize your picture. Several people out there will just take images off their camera and upload them. Of course, right off the camera, the images are huge. Unresized images won't fit on the screen, take forever to download, etc.

So, if you don't know how to resize your pics, I'd recommend Flickr or one of its wannabes.

Note:

Irfan View is a nice sort of do it all program. And it's free. I know it can resize images (although that's not its primary purpose).

http://www.irfanview.com/

Other than that, comb around here and see what you can find (if you're curious)

http://www.tucows.com/Windows/DesignTools/Image/

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year Rod! I'll be ringing in the new year at work. :blush:

Well I ended up sleeping so I can be up early this morning and do a little work myself. I'm wanting to do what I have to do and finish up early so I can watch all the bowl games today. But now I can really say Happy New Year. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I thought this was pretty interesting, but it has nothing to do with NWA. Maybe some of you already saw something about this. But anyway we've discussed how real estate and homes have gone up. Here's a pic of a 'fixer-upper' in London. 77 sq ft, any guesses on how much it's going for?

070122_britain_apt_hmed2p.hmedium.jpg

Okay I thought this was pretty interesting, but it has nothing to do with NWA. Maybe some of you already saw something about this. But anyway we've discussed how real estate and homes have gone up. Here's a pic of a 'fixer-upper' in London. 77 sq ft, any guesses on how much it's going for?

070122_britain_apt_hmed2p.hmedium.jpg

This has actually been discussed before on the site in another forum about 6 months ago. I believe the price was somewhere around $300K.

This has actually been discussed before on the site in another forum about 6 months ago. I believe the price was somewhere around $300K.

Yeah I figured it had popped up somewhere on UP. Yeah $335,000 for 77 sq ft. Granted we are talking about it being in one of London's nicer more desirable neighborhoods.