Skybar NWA l Northwest Arkansas Off-topic

Anybody listen to Paul Van Dyk or DJ Tiesto?

Or has anybody even heard of them?

Those are by far my favorite artists out.

I've heard of DJ Tiesto, not sure if I've heard any of the music though. And yeah I've heard of Paul van Dyke and I have a couple of his cds. Well I guess one now, I haven't been able to find the one in quite a while. Not sure what happened to it.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like we could have some light snow Saturday night - Sunday morning here in northwest Arkansas. I hope we get a little more than what it sounds like. A weekend would be great for me to try to get some snow pics of Fayetteville. But it sounds like we'll probably get even less than that first winter storm.

How much snow are we talking about?

I'm going to be up in Foreman/Texarkana for New Years, hopefully the streak won't be broken, and it will be snowing lightly there. :)

How long is the streak? And by the way can you give me any advice on some jazz? I'm wanting to buy some cds after Christmas and wanted to see what you'd recommend. Just in general or NOLA jazz, thanks. :D

The streak has been going on for 4 years. And there has been at least a light snow for six of the last seven years.

Rod, I'll PM you with some advice on NOLA jazz performers. :)

Wow, didn't realize snow was that predictable anywhere in Arkansas. :D And thanks in advance for the jazz info. Hopefully you'll still start a jazz topic in the Louisiana forum. I think it would be a good one. Louisiana has some good cultural topics to discuss.

^I'm going to try to start the Jazz thread later tonight. There is just so much info and facts about New Orleans Jazz and its history, it takes a while to gather it all up.

Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like you should hurry up or anything. :D I was just hoping since you've been sending me some info already that you'd think I still wouldn't be interested in seeing the topic.

Edited by Mith242

I've heard of Orbital a little, but I can't say I've listen to any others.

Not the same as Paul Van Dyk or DJ Tiesto but maybe something to check out. Probably more so on Underworld or Orbital. Aphex Twin and Autechre can take a bit to appreciate them, at least some of their stuff.

Since we have moved most of the snow talk into the other topic this one has died off a bit. Guess I'll pick back up on music since that was being discussed before. usually around this time of year I get in the mood for my Celtic and Scandinavian music. But for some reason I've been in more of a Classical and Jazz mood. Although I admit I don't have much Jazz in my collection yet. But I want to get some more after Christmas. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any. :D

Well after letting this topic die down I thought I'd try to see if I can revive it a little. Matt I think you mentioned other music than dance and techno that you liked. Was it new age? If so can you give us an idea of what types you like? I was also curious if you got into any world music as well.

Well after letting this topic die down I thought I'd try to see if I can revive it a little. Matt I think you mentioned other music than dance and techno that you liked. Was it new age? If so can you give us an idea of what types you like? I was also curious if you got into any world music as well.

I listen to a little bit of new age like Fall out Boy and Sean Paul.

I'd have to say that I'm still a huge Dance Fan. DJ Tiesto, Darude, and ATB are about my favorite artists. I really don't listen to any world music, but I guess Dance and Techno is somewhat world music. I guess I'm really into East Europe Dance which is pretty big in South America, Mid-East and Europe.

I listen to a little bit of new age like Fall out Boy and Sean Paul.

I'd have to say that I'm still a huge Dance Fan. DJ Tiesto, Darude, and ATB are about my favorite artists. I really don't listen to any world music, but I guess Dance and Techno is somewhat world music. I guess I'm really into East Europe Dance which is pretty big in South America, Mid-East and Europe.

Can't say I've heard of Fall Out Boy or Sean Paul. I'll have to look them up. Techno used to be the main thing I listened to. I still do to a certain degree but techno isn't really listened to as much as it used to be in Britain where I tended to look for techno. I guess my musical taste have changed a bit since I've gotten older too. I do still like listening to techno but I also listen to a lot of other stuff I didn't listen to before.

So what's your main focus?

You can tell mine's Eastern European Dance.

Is that really Eastern Europe? Darude is Swedish or Finnish I think, isn't ATB from Germany? I admit I have no idea on DJ Tiesto. I guess I would consider that more northern or maybe central. Eastern Europe makes me think more like the former communist countries.

Is that really Eastern Europe? Darude is Swedish or Finnish I think, isn't ATB from Germany? I admit I have no idea on DJ Tiesto. I guess I would consider that more northern or maybe central. Eastern Europe makes me think more like the former communist countries.

Western European Techno is more Germany, France, Britian, and Spain, while Eastern includes the rest of Europe. ATB is from Germany, and Tiesto is from Hungary.

Western European Techno is more Germany, France, Britian, and Spain, while Eastern includes the rest of Europe. ATB is from Germany, and Tiesto is from Hungary.

Well there is one from a former communist country. How about I reject the usual east-west format and say central? :D Anyway sorry to be picky, it doesn't really matter. But back to your earlier question it's hard for me to say what my main focus is. I follow a lot of different styles and I basically focus on different ones depending on mood. Usually this time of year I'm more into my Celtic or Scandinavian music. But that hasn't happened this winter so far. I've been more into Jazz and Classical. I have a funny story for Nate, too bad he's not around, but he'll see it when he gets back. What got me into Jazz wasn't any American Jazz artist, it was a Japanese woman who also happens to compose a lot of non Jazz music also. :D Although I've also been getting into a bit of a bluegrass and world music mood too. I'd like to find some world music outside my usual area. I'd like to find some more over into the Islamic area. Somewhere from north Africa to south central Asia. I guess I need to spend a little more time sampling some music and deciding on a few cds sometime.