Poverty "Hot Spots"

hood

The City Pulse published an article today about dealing with poverty in Lansing, mostly about an Ingham County program that they didn't even really explain what it was. But being that I am very interested in things such as poverty and crime in Lansing and what neighborhoods are the worse, I'll post this map:

hotspots.jpg

Now I have some serious issues with this map, areas 2, 3, 4 and 5 are very solid, they are obviously in poverty and need some help. Area 1 is a joke (16.3% poverty), it borders some of the most impoverished areas in the city, Old Town and the High St. neighborhood, but does not include them, it even cuts out Hickory woods by a couple blocks, one of the worse apartment complexes in the city. To further extend the innaccuracy, area 6 (14% poverty) includes far to broad of an area, the problems in this area are generally modest, especially after the clean up of several apartment complexes around here, area 6 also leaves out Waverly Park, the worse apartment complex on the southside by far. The neigborhoods in area 6 are moderate income, housing values are usually above $100,000. Area 7 (12% poverty) is also grossly innaccurate, Not one part of this area should be that great of a concern. Also, the two apartment comlexes on W Edgewood should probably be included, Edgewood Villas and Traditions.

Now to the areas that should be inlcluded: the Walsh park neighborhood, bounded by I-496, the Red Cedar river, Pennsylvania, and Clemens/Aurelius. This neighborhood has the lowest per capita income in the city at $11,372, and has a 30% poverty rate. The neighborhoos south of downtown, bounded by Michigan Ave., MLK, the Grand River, and I-496, is partially included in area 4, but the area that is not icluded is the worse, overall thsi area has the highest poverty rate in the city at 37.4%. The near east side, bounded by Saginaw, I-496, Pennsylvania and the Grand River, has the second highest poverty rate (35.15) and the highest crime rates in the city. The east side bounded by Kalamazoo, I-496, Pennsylvania and Mifflin, 29% poverty. The list goes on to include everything between MLK and the River, the area north of Saginaw to Lake Lansing (e. Grand River and High St.) And of course some apartment complexes should be included, the worst ones inlclude all apartments around Waverly and N Grand River especially Bardaville St and Mt. Vernon (LHC), all other LHC apartments, Hickory Woods, Waverly Park, Edgewood Villas and Traditions, the apartments by L&L on MLK, and Pinebrook (which is currently being remodeled so may be off the list soon.)

Any other opinions on this?

• 6 months later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived