Florida Marlins moving location....

EastSideResider

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Nope, that would be Hartford's claim....

No that would not be true Norfolk has the biggest metro without a team. Norfolk metro is 1,645,015 while Hartford's is 1,184,564. I don't think they can make that claim. Baseball would work, but this area is better for the NFL or NBA.

No that would not be true Norfolk has the biggest metro without a team. Norfolk metro is 1,645,015 while Hartford's is 1,184,564. I don't think they can make that claim. Baseball would work, but this area is better for the NFL or NBA.

That's not entirely true. For whatever reason Hartford and New Haven are two different metros. They share the same media market, and are 30 miles apart. Springfield, which just recently got its own cbs station (they've been using Hartford's) is only 25 miles away from Hartford. Add in that Hartford and to a lesser extent New Haven are very affluent metros and it should be a no brainer. The only problem is the proximity to New York and Boston siphoning off support for a local team.

on edit: why not put the team in Jersey or Brooklyn? It'll take away from the New York market (which can handle 3 or more teams), there'll be one less reason for other fans to complain about the Yankees....

That's not entirely true. For whatever reason Hartford and New Haven are two different metros. They share the same media market, and are 30 miles apart. Springfield, which just recently got its own cbs station (they've been using Hartford's) is only 25 miles away from Hartford. Add in that Hartford and to a lesser extent New Haven are very affluent metros and it should be a no brainer. The only problem is the proximity to New York and Boston siphoning off support for a local team.

on edit: why not put the team in Jersey or Brooklyn? It'll take away from the New York market (which can handle 3 or more teams), there'll be one less reason for other fans to complain about the Yankees....

For what ever reason I can say Norfolk and Richmond are two different metros, but like I said with cold hard fact Norfolk metro is bigger so that statement about Hartford's metro being bigger is false. We should have a team before any other if you go off of population only.

For what ever reason I can say Norfolk and Richmond are two different metros, but like I said with cold hard fact Norfolk metro is bigger so that statement about Hartford's metro being bigger is false. We should have a team before any other if you go off of population only.

Ummm.... You cannot say that Richmond and Norfolk are the same metro. They are 100 miles apart. It's 30 miles from New Haven to Hartford, and 25 from Hartford to Springfield. Hartford/New Haven are culturally linked, and together make up a metro around 2 million. If this was Texas or any other western state, I'm sure that Hartford/New Haven/Springfield would be the same metro. I did mention that part of what makes the Hartford area attractive is its income, which I believe is #1 in the country per capita. New Haven is also pretty well off.

• 1 month later...

I'd love to see the Marlins move to Charlotte. I doubt it will happen because I agree that they will probably stay in SF. However, the Charlotte CSA puts our population at around 2 million (just slightly more) compared to LV at around 1.6 million. I couldn't find a CSA number for Portland, but the MSA population is around 2 million (can't remember precisely). I don't know how fast Portland is growing, but I'm sure it's slower than Charlotte and LV. I think Charlotte makes as much sense as either of these two places do at the very least.

on edit: why not put the team in Jersey or Brooklyn? It'll take away from the New York market (which can handle 3 or more teams), there'll be one less reason for other fans to complain about the Yankees...

It's been said that New York and Boston could each handle an additional team, and it may even be good for baseball in general to spread the wealth a bit in those two markets. However, neither New York nor Boston will pony up any cash for stadiums for a new team, so that seems a rather unlikely scenario at this point.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

County commissioners in Orange County, FL (Orlando) are kicking around the idea of making a bid for the Marlins. Marlins management could use this as a ploy to make South Florida cough up the money for a new stadium, but it could be a serious contender. 2.1 million population and already dedicated and approved financial resource in place to build a new stadium. Orange County just approved a $1 billion tourist tax to fund a Performing Arts Center, new arena, and Citrus Bowl upgrades. $250 million earmarked for the citrus bowl could be combined with $192 million offered from the Marlins to build a new $442 million stadium. The Marlins estimate was they would need $450 million for a retractable roof stadium. I still think baseball would prefer the South Florida market with the 5.5 million population, but it could happen. They wouldn't even need to change the name and being located in the most centrally located city of the state makes sense calling them the Florida Marlins. Probably wishful thinking, but it's out there...

• 4 weeks later...

Birmingham is much, much smaller than the smallest markets baseball is presently in (i.e. Milwaukee and Cincinnati). You're one of dozens of MSAs teetering on that 1 million population mark. It's just about average or on par for a AAA-supporting town.

Let's also not forget that the Atlanta Braves market severely overlaps the Birmingham baseball market. You have many Braves fans in Alabama, and it would be very hard to share this market with another team.

Birmingham is much, much smaller than the smallest markets baseball is presently in (i.e. Milwaukee and Cincinnati). You're one of dozens of MSAs teetering on that 1 million population mark. It's just about average or on par for a AAA-supporting town.

Actually, I'm fairly sure Birmingham's market is around 1.5-1.7 million. That's the Greater Birmingham Area, and the Gadsden-Anniston Area, and the Tuscaloosa area. That's a good two fifths of the states population. I don't see that as teetering.

And, yes, I do realize that it isn't enough to really support a team.

Archived