Ivy League of the South

Rufus

A lot of people have coined the term, Ivy League of the South, for some of the top colleges in the south. What many don't know is that the south is home to some of the top colleges in the country. What is your list of colleges that would fall under the Ivy League of the South?

Here's my list:

Duke University

Wake Forest University

Emory University

Vanderbilt University

UVA

Auburn University

UNC-Chapel Hill

Davidson College

College of William and Mary

VA Tech

Tulane University

It is nice to know that people from all over the world actually come here for a high-class education. Some of these colleges have also played huge roles in a city and state's economy, namely UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke with Research Triangle Park.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JMO, there's just one Ivy League and that's the real one.

If we're trying to compile a list of the "most exclusive" colleges of our region, I do agree with a couple of others here that the list should focus primarily on the elite private schools.

Nothing against places like Georgia State or Auburn or Mississippi State or other such mid-tier state universities, but Ivy League they're not. Now, if we want to coin the term "Kudzu League" to include the top 100 colleges and universities in the southeast, we'd be in business.

JMO, there's just one Ivy League and that's the real one.

If we're trying to compile a list of the "most exclusive" colleges of our region, I do agree with a couple of others here that the list should focus primarily on the elite private schools.

Nothing against places like Georgia State or Auburn or Mississippi State or other such mid-tier state universities, but Ivy League they're not. Now, if we want to coin the term "Kudzu League" to include the top 100 colleges and universities in the southeast, we'd be in business.

I could go with the Kudzu League! I say we also raise it to a number like 12 or 14 since there are more large and important (regionally, not nationally, in many cases) colleges down here.

Here's my Kudzu League:

Emory

Miami

William and Mary

Vanderbilt

Washington and Lee

Georgia tech

VA tech

Wake Forest

Duke

Tulane

UNC-Chapel hill

UGA

Virginia

Rice

I'm leaving out Davidson because it is tiny. If it were included, then you could probably toss Young Harris in as well.

I don't want to use the term "Ivey League of the South", because the South is a region in the US that tends to set its own precedents and not rely on others.

Now, I don't have a list of 10 colleges and universities, but allow me to boast about my own univeristy. Univeristy of South Carolina's (yeah, the original USC) graduate program in international business is the top-ranked public university program in the country and No. 2 among all institutions, according to U.S. News & World Report.

If my findings are correct (and I'm 100% sure they are), 2005 marked the 16th consecutive year that the program at the Moore School of Business has been ranked either No. 1 or 2. The only public university ranked in the top five, USC outpaced Columbia University, Harvard University, Duke University, the University of Pennsylvania, New York University, and the University of Southern California. :D:D:D

^ This is true.... USC is ranked constantly #2 behind Thunderbird in Phoenix as the top I Bus Schools in the country.

-Washington and Lee is also a small school like davidson, but it does indeed have a law school (which itself is ranked top 20 law schools too)

-Grad schools are quite a diff story though, because some of the "worst" undergrad schools have some of the best grad programs. For instance, East Carolina U is not known for it's academics. However, their medical school is #1 in the country for rural medicine (not harvard, yale, duke etc etc etc). Go figure huh

In the scheme of things, where you went to college has little significance in the scheme of things. More important is what you learned and how you have applied to better yourself. A diploma from a prestige school is something you will file away and never talk about again once you get out into industry. (unless those were your greatest days, which is not good)

When you go down to these smaller liberal arts schools it becomes entirely arbitrary. Rhodes College in Memphis, Suwannee in Tennessee, Millsapps in Mississippi, Hendrix in Arkansas, and many others have as much a right to be there as W&L, Davidson, or Furman. None are Amhersts or Wellesleys though.

For the hell of it, I put these in order of reputation in my opinion. There's a big dive from top to bottom...

Duke

Rice

Emory

Tulane

Vandy

Wake Forest

SMU

Some might throw in Miami but I wouldn't

It's hard to think of any other large reputable private schools.

I didn't count public schools but the top-rated ones generally are UVa, UNC, Ga Tech, and Texas. As an SEC fan, I would throw in Florida though it's a step down from these. The rest of the SEC schools are pretty average. Bama, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and UGa are decent.

I don't want to use the term "Ivey League of the South", because the South is a region in the US that tends to set its own precedents and not rely on others.

Now, I don't have a list of 10 colleges and universities, but allow me to boast about my own univeristy. Univeristy of South Carolina's (yeah, the original USC) graduate program in international business is the top-ranked public university program in the country and No. 2 among all institutions, according to U.S. News & World Report.

If my findings are correct (and I'm 100% sure they are), 2005 marked the 16th consecutive year that the program at the Moore School of Business has been ranked either No. 1 or 2. The only public university ranked in the top five, USC outpaced Columbia University, Harvard University, Duke University, the University of Pennsylvania, New York University, and the University of Southern California. :D:D:D

While the Gamecocks have a highly-rated International Business program within US News & World Report's rankings for business schools, you have to keep in mind that they rank schools for 30+ specialties within business and, more importantly, have overall rankings which factor in the schools' rankings across all of the specialties that they offer. By the criteria of overall schools, South Carolina does not even make the top 50. There are 26 public business schools ranked in the top 50 and 15 or so southern business schools, yet University of South Carolina is not among them - that other USC did make the list though.

2006 rankings - http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rank...arank_brief.php

1. Harvard University (MA)

2. Stanford University (CA)

2. University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)

4. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan)

4. Northwestern University (Kellogg) (IL)

6. Dartmouth College (Tuck) (NH)

6. University of California

I will not try to throw in my 10 cents worth, but according to US News: From their list of the 120 Top National Universities. I did include Texas, Oklahoma, DC, and Maryland.

5) Duke

13) Johns Hopkins

17) Rice

18) Vanderbilt

20) Emory

23) Georgetown

23) Virginia

27) North Carolina

27) Wake Forest

31) William and Mary

37) Georgia Tech

43) Tulane

50) Florida

50) Texas

53) George Washington

55) Maryland

58) Georgia

60) Texas A&M

71) Southern Methodist

78) Baylor

78) Clemson

78) North Carolina State

85) American

85) Auburn

85) Tennessee

93) Howard

97) Tulsa

97) Texas Christian

104) Alabama

109) Florida State

109) Oklahoma

109) South Carolina

120) Kentucky

Another fun bit about Endowments and Federal Research Grants. Makes a difference if your College has a Medical School at the Main Campus or not: These are in many ways apples and oranges because different schools do the whole system and others by individual campuses.

School Federal Research Endowment

Johns Hopkins 1 22

Duke 21 17

North Carolina 23 38

Alabama Birm 26 179

Texas 27 25

Texas A&M 28 9

Maryland 29 135

Baylor Medical 30 41

Emory 36 6

Florida 41 70

Vanderbilt 42 19

Georgia Tech 43 36

Virginia 46 24

Texas SW Dal 47 68

Miami 48 92

NC State 71 139

Texas MD And 71 144

Kentucky 74 120

Wake Forest 78 46

Georgia 84 113

Texas Galves 87 128

Tennessee 102 154

LSU 107 203

Rice 111 12

Again per US News:

10) Davidson NC

14) Washington and Lee VA

34) University of the South TN

34) Richmond VA

41) Centre KY

41) Furman SC

45) Rhodes TN

55) Agnes Scott GA

55) Wofford SC

61) Southwestern TX

71) Sweet Briar VA

73) Austin TX

73) Hendrix AR

73) Spelman GA

73) Virginia Military Institute VA

81) Milsaps MS

84) Randolph-Macon Womans VA

84) St Mary's MD

88) Birmingham Southern AL

88) Hollins VA

88) New College of Florida FL

94) Goucher MD

104) Hampden-Sydney VA

104) Randolph-Macon VA

104) Translyvania KY

104) Washington MD

The member institutions of the Southern Ivy League (AKA "Kudzu Leage") are:
  • Davidson

• Furman

• Auburn

• Vanderbilt

• Duke

• Wake Forest

• Rice

• Emory

• Rollins

• Tulane

Rollins? I went to high school with someone who went there. Kid was a total steakhead.

Archived