Detroit People Mover Breaks Down....Again

Allan

Thursday, January 8, 2004

People Mover service halted

City expects new part to arrive before crowds come for the auto show

By Tom Greenwood and George Hunter / The Detroit News

City officials anxiously are awaiting a part to get the Detroit People Mover back on track by Saturday morning, in time to transport thousands of visitors to the North American International Auto Show at Cobo Center.

The elevated rail system stopped about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday when a key piece of switching equipment failed, according to the Detroit Transportation Corp.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it is run by computers from the 1980s...so glitches that cause the system to go down are expected I guess. Just as long as they have it up and running when I go downtown for the auito show this weekend I'll be happy.

I love the Auto Show. I'm not much into cars, but the auto show is an exception. My aunt is a journalist from the Netherlands....I was supposed to go to the auto show with her yesterday, but there was a couple things I could not miss at school :(. It would've been nice to see it before everyone else, but oh well. I haven't been downtown since the last auto show, so I'm looking forward to seeing how things have changed. I just hope it's not too cold...I want to get decent pics without getting frostbite! LOL.

Archived