Have you ever been to New Orleans?

NCB

18 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever been to New Orleans?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but hope to someday
    • No, and dont plan on going

by Darren Olagues (Tulane Class of 1992)

New Orleans. How wonderful those words sound when said with no quirky emphasis on odd syllables. They always seem to elicit some response. Have you been there?

Have you ever been to Caf

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been several times, the last with my wife on my honeymoon 3 years ago before leaving on a cruise, which was her only experience there. I'm glad she got to see the old NO before things change some, for better or for worse.

I interviewed for residency at Oschner, Tulane, and LSU and didn't rank any because of the poverty and lack of safety down there - even though I do like South Louisiana culture. I think in some ways this may clean up and reinvigorate the area, it needed a shot in the arm. It's a horrific tragedy but I think some good things may come of it in years to come. Charity and University needed to be rebuilt in a bad way before this.

It's a horrific tragedy but I think some good things may come of it in years to come.

I agree

Many of the citizen's that caused the most problem's in New Orleans, may be gone forever. That fact alone, is a huge plus for the future of the city.

I agree

Many of the citizen's that caused the most problem's in New Orleans, may be gone forever. That fact alone, is a huge plus for the future of the city.

Sad to say, I doubt we will be seeing many of the poorest residents returning to New Orleans or the Mississippi Coast. Gentrification usually pleases me, but the scale of the gentrification that will likely take place across the area could be overwhelming.

Sad to say, I doubt we will be seeing many of the poorest residents returning to New Orleans or the Mississippi Coast. Gentrification usually pleases me, but the scale of the gentrification that will likely take place across the area could be overwhelming.

Yea, loosing the poorer residents could be major losses for both New Orleans and the Mississippi Coast.

So many of these residents made up the great culture and heritage in New Orleans and southern Mississippi.

If you've been there, undoubtedly one of these things found its way into your itinerary.

Here's one for you:

Have you ever left your Frat house in Hattiesburg at 11:30 p.m. driven the 1.5 hours to N.O. with a stop at the Daquiri Shack in Slidell on the way, hung out on Burbon Street until near daylight, caught a few winks in the car and then driven back to Hattiesburg in time for your 10:00 a.m. stats class?

The answer...more times than I can remember. In fact considering the circumstances I don't think I do remember most of those times. :rofl:

Here's one for you:

Have you ever left your Frat house in Hattiesburg at 11:30 p.m. driven the 1.5 hours to N.O. with a stop at the Daquiri Shack in Slidell on the way, hung out on Burbon Street until near daylight, caught a few winks in the car and then driven back to Hattiesburg in time for your 10:00 a.m. stats class?

The answer...more times than I can remember. In fact considering the circumstances I don't think I do remember most of those times. :rofl:

:rofl:

Good ole' New Orleans! :lol:

I've been there and it was one of the best trips of my life. Just went this January right after New Years. It was a blast to see the city. So much density, history, culture...simply fantastic. I will return when the time is right, and I fully expect to be just as impressed and satisfied with that visit as my last.

Strangely I felt right at home in New Orleans and Southern Louisiana, I had absolutely no out-of-town feelings or anxiety driving down US-90 at any point, it felt just as if I was at home in West Tennessee. Thats how inviting, friendly, and great I found the region to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived