Where is the "Times Square" of your city?

Newnan

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For New Orleans, it would be the French Quarter.

Tourists flock there, it's one big party all night long, there are neon lights everywhere, and it is the most exiting part of New Orleans for most people, especially during the night.

Memphis has to be the Beale Street area. It's the perfect location to be in the middle of it all, and tourists and locals all end up either there, or close by, with the proximity of the River, FedExForum, Autozone Park, Peabody Place, the Rock and Soul Museum, etc.

Nashville's Times Square would likely be the 'district' stretching from the Convention Center, Ryman Auditorium and Arena on Broadway at Fifth down to the river and up Second from the Shelby Street pedestrian bridge to Church Street (where Hooters is). That's nine total blocks of tourist oriented entertainment, retail and food service which would rival just about any other 'district' in the country (excepting the super large Cities and NO, of course).

It is teeming with tourists during the summer and packed on Friday and Saturday nights. And of course, in the fall you see the international tourists (they can't stand the summer heat). On a football day or a hockey night, it can be packed with locals.

The district is unique and reflects Nashville's character with the Honky Tonks lining the street and blaring the music out the open doors. The great charm of the district is the way the older buildings have been preserved and renovated. The anchors of the district include the Arena, the convention center, the Ryman Auditorium, Riverside park where riverboat rides are available, the Country Music Hall of Fame and soon the Symphony Hall and the Sounds Baseball stadium. The Shelby Street pedestrian bridge takes you over the river to the Football stadium.

Barry Melrose, the Hockey analyst, once said that you can walk out of any arena in America and it looks like every other City. But you walk out of Nashville's arena and you know you are in Nashville.

Greenville, South Carolina:

Main Street between its intersection with College Street and its intersection with River Street / Augusta Road.

Specifically, as GvilleSC already cited, it's Falls Park on the Reedy River and RiverPlace that's drawing tourists and locals alike downtown these days, and it's only getting better! :thumbsup:

Boston:

Faneuil Hall if I have to come up with a lively place bouncing with tourists.

Cities that I'd like to see in addressed in this thread: Philly, Providence and SF.

no offense, but this is in the southern usa section. i doubt we'll see too much about these cities.

For Atlanta, it's probably Centennial Olympic Park, or at least that's what city officials are trying to make it.

42832573_47ac64755d_o.jpg

I feel that Atlanta's center of life is located more around Underground Atlanta and Five Points instead of Centennial Park. Times Square in New York is usually where all the tourists want to go first; all of my friends that have visited me in Atlanta usually have Five Points first on their lists.

I feel that Atlanta's center of life is located more around Underground Atlanta and Five Points instead of Centennial Park. Times Square in New York is usually where all the tourists want to go first; all of my friends that have visited me in Atlanta usually have Five Points first on their lists.

I agree with what you said about the Underground being Atlanta's "Time Square." All the shopping, restaurants, attractions (built-in and nearby [capitol, WOC]) and nightclubs give it more clout than Centennial for now. Plus, The Peach Drop is held there every year and that was ripped straight from "How to be Time Square Manual", lol...

Yeah, I know Undergound is Atlanta's "Time Square" right now, but officials are trying to turn Centennial Olympuic Park into the "New Times Square" of the city with all of the attractions being built around it.

Archived