Where is the "Times Square" of your city?

Newnan

Oh...that sounds really stupid...in a funny kind of way. I'd love to see a giant peach drop. That'd be fun.

I think its more of a state pride thing than anything.

Some of your plains states might drop a great corn husk, after all (just guessing). I wonder f Boston does the same thing with the Sacred Cod? ;)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its more of a state pride thing than anything.

Some of your plains states might drop a great corn husk, after all (just guessing). I wonder f Boston does the same thing with the Sacred Cod? ;)

I guess that in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, or any of the other major Louisiana cities, they would have to throw a brown pelican off the top of a tower. :lol:

I guess that in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, or any of the other major Louisiana cities, they would have to throw a brown pelican off the top of a tower. :lol:

They could probably incorporate the traditional Mardi Gras "flasher" into New Orleans' celebration ;)

But you know us Atlantans, always looking for something big to do.

Yeah, I know Undergound is Atlanta's "Time Square" right now, but officials are trying to turn Centennial Olympuic Park into the "New Times Square" of the city with all of the attractions being built around it.

yea.....although I find Five Points to be your typical tourist trap.....it does one helluva good job of actually ATTRACTING & "TRAPPING" the tourists there!

Charleston's "Times Square" would probably be Marion Square, which is more park-like though it hosts a wide variety of activities throughout the year from the weekly farmer's market to the anual Spoleto Arts Festival.

Spartanburg's would be either Morgan Square, the central Square in the city- Some events are held here, but more are probably on the way since its redesign or Barnet Park, where numerous events are held throuought the year unluding concerts at the amphitheater and various festivals and activities for the community.

For Columbia I would agree with Five Points, but not the Vista. Five Points is mush mroe party-oriented and they shut parts of it down to vehicles regularly for events.

I personally think that cities with out a center "square" or park of some sort don't have anything that can can compare to the "Times Square" ideal becuase the Square provides a central gathering spot. Primary roads are great but are linear (obviously) so they lack the central gathering spot. Just something to think about.

Charleston's "Times Square" would probably be Marion Square, which is more park-like though it hosts a wide variety of activities throughout the year from the weekly farmer's market to the anual Spoleto Arts Festival...

This is true, but there is also the corner of King and Calhoun Streets, just across from the park, then going down King Street to Charleston Place where Saks Fifth Avenue and other upscale stores are located; and Charleston's version of New Orleans' French Quarter: The City Market.

Chattanooga's time square area is Downtown near the waterfront... the Tennessee Aquarium, the IMAX Theatre, the Creative Discovery Museum, the Hunter Museum, the Houston Museum, the Model Railroad Museum, the Towing and Recovery Museum, the 21st century waterfront redevelopment, Coolidge park, Bellsouth Park (Chattanooga Lookouts), tons of restaurants and many other things going on...

Very true, thedude26, I didn't think about the Commons. I grew up going to the Riverwalk for Arts in the Heart and the Greek festivals, so it sprang to mind first, but the Commons has clearly replaced the Riverwalk for those events. I just wish they'd go ahead and extend it all the way to Greene Street.

Has anyone mentioned Charlotte? Does everyone just gather at the Panthers Stadium there?

For Charlotte the Square at Trade and Tryon. (it will soon be Epicenter and the Arena area)

Here are some pics:

From on high (looking out from the IJL tower aprox. 32 floors up)

trade_and_tryon.jpg

From street level looking West on Tryon

at%20the%20square%202%207220-thumb.jpg

A2

Most of downtown Durham is a veritable ghost town at all hours of the day, and I don't think a single tourist has ever 'flocked' there. If you happened to be passing through the city, I guess the Durham Bulls Athletic Park and the adjacent American Tobacco historic district would be decent. Duke Gardens probably gets more tourists but it's by no means anything like Times Square.

Tuscaloosa's downtown has been undergoing revitalization for several years now with some payoff. Several restaurants, shops and clubs have opened in recent years and the majority appear to be thriving. The annual 4th of July fireworks are set off just blocks from the photo below near the river.

fireworks2.jpg

I think the closest thing to Times Square in Huntsville is Big Spring Park. The major events here (Big Spring Jam, Panoply, concerts) are held in and around the park. Another good candidate, when completed, is the Bridge Street development in Research Park.

This is true, but there is also the corner of King and Calhoun Streets, just across from the park, then going down King Street to Charleston Place where Saks Fifth Avenue and other upscale stores are located; and Charleston's version of New Orleans' French Quarter: The City Market.

I would actually argue otherwise. The Market is not a central gathering place for anyone except tourists. I am taking this Times Square comparison to mean a central gathering spot for festivities and such- which the market does not do.

Having been to Times Square in NYC, I can say that it wasn't anything that spectacular. Its just a place where the roads cross in a weird way, leaving more open space than normal.

I would actually argue otherwise. The Market is not a central gathering place for anyone except tourists. I am taking this Times Square comparison to mean a central gathering spot for festivities and such- which the market does not do...

I would disagree with that. The City Market is more than tourists. True, the majority of the tourists go there to get all sorts of different things, but the Market is a gathering place for locals with its restaurants and nightlife. Wild Wings, A.W. Shucks Seafood, Bubba Gump Seafood, Tommy Condon's Pub, Bull and Finch Pub, TBonz Steakhouse, Kaminsky's Cafe, Level 2 and other nightclubs...these are all located in that little section of Market Street. There are even more places I haven't mentioned such as the sushi bar, several Italian restaurants, and even an Applebees. Many locals go to this area DT to eat, drink, and hangout. It truly is a gathering place.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived