More building at FSU

psycuda

I was up near the Fine Arts Building (Call & Macomb) the other day and saw that the signs announcing construction of Parking Garage 4 were up. From the looks of it, it's gonna be a cookie cutter of the one at park & woodward, except without a space for a building. It kills me that there could have been some ground floor retail included, maybe a space for a restaurant or a bar, but....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a new classroom building going up. It's rising pretty fast if I do say so myself. It's amazing how fast FSU can get up a new building :)

Then of course, the new DeGraff Hall is under construction, along with the new Wildwood Hall, Psych buildng, and Chemistry Building.

The next parking garage, I believe, is *supposed* to be located near Wildwood Hall, which is the parcel of land between Chieftan, Wildwood and Jefferson at the front door of the stadium.

Both schools can move forward with construction much faster since they get their Campus Master Plans approved on 20 year Master Plans and they don't have to go through all of the red tap at city hall as other projects do... they say they want it and its up.

Yeah I've been surprised with all of the construction going on campus. I'd like to see a gateway on the corner of Tennessee and Macomb for FSU... I think that would be a good location for an electric sign for the school of Arts and any other university related event... similar to those seen in Gainesville and here in Hattiesburg at USM... I'll try to take a picture before I leave.

A fourth parking garage will certainly be a blessing to all of the students, facult, and staff at FSU, yet I'm still dissappointed in FSU's use of land. That parking garage would be more efficient if it included a classroom building on top of it (perhaps with the garage totally or partially underground. I also hope that the new building next to Bellamy that was mentioned is of a comparable vertical size to Bellamy. FSU needs to address its small geographic confines by building more structures that rise higher, rather than build structures that are low to the ground, such as the new building next to the Stone Building.

^ St Joe reports that the school now has implace a rule that says no buildings taller than 5 stories. The parking mulit-story parking garage is much better than having a dirty flat gravel lot there.

Still this is prime Real Estate.. and I'm not sure the school is using this property to its fullest potential.

^ It's on FSU's side of Tennessee St., right? If so I don't think it's necessary to coordinate with Frenchtown. If anything, I think FSU needs to work on developing more of a style of its own for the campus, which is mix of old school modern and more classic looks. My biggest gripe is that it's nothing more than a parking garage, but with that self-imposed five-story limit in place, it's likely that FSU will continue to try to expand outward. I would rather see them move upward, instead of making the campus less walkable.

FSU needs to address its small geographic confines by building more structures that rise higher, rather than build structures that are low to the ground, such as the new building next to the Stone Building.

That building you're referring to is the West Dining Facility. It's kinda hard to make a cafeteria more than one level -_-

Lord knows I hate the parking garages. I don't own a car (never have) and I'm sick of subsidizing parking garages so some spoiled frat boy or sorority whore can park the new Hummer mommy and daddy gave them. It makes me sick. We could be using that money for such better purposes. The parking situation at FSU isn't going to be solved by parking garages. I could go on and on and on about parking, but that's another topic for another time.

I do believe that part of FSU's master plan is to construct a "gateway" at Tennessee and Macomb.

Why not include classrooms above the cafeteria? Maybe they're just not needed, but if not, then why did FSU fight the city over The Symphony?

EXACTLY!!!! Another case of Nimby... in TJ's opinion.

I totally agree that all of these additional parking garages are not going to solve the parking problems on campus... if anything... it will make things worse. Students will percieve the extra parking as a reason to drive to school and do it.

My comments about the coordiation with Frenchtown go to address the need to additional student housing in the area, and the university's percieved Land Locked position. Why not join in with the community leaders, have FSU purchase the red building across the street from the Arts school and a few blocks in Frenchtown, build up some student housing there... or something related to the school... that Gothic style is very attractive. This could be FSU's way of out reach... maybe a bridge going across the street from that side to FSU allowing pesedtrians to bypass heavy Tennessee Street traffic... would be kinda cool to see some students living in this area... or possibly have FSU set up a clinic for the less fortunate in Frenchtown where it's Medical Alumni could practice... I think it would be awesome... to have doctors offices, dentists, and pharmacys in the area.... just a thought...

Moving the students closer to the school is going to solve the parking problems on campus... and nothing else.

a clinic/pharmacy would be a great idea. buying a large chunk of land there and "cleaning it up" and building those would be great for fsu and the community. i think they should also build student housing there....

i am going to med school in a year and a half, and can tell you that something like that would be great for fsu's med school and would help bring in better students.

My comments about the coordiation with Frenchtown go to address the need to additional student housing in the area, and the university's percieved Land Locked position. Why not join in with the community leaders, have FSU purchase the red building across the street from the Arts school and a few blocks in Frenchtown, build up some student housing there... or something related to the school... that Gothic style is very attractive. This could be FSU's way of out reach... maybe a bridge going across the street from that side to FSU allowing pesedtrians to bypass heavy Tennessee Street traffic... would be kinda cool to see some students living in this area... or possibly have FSU set up a clinic for the less fortunate in Frenchtown where it's Medical Alumni could practice... I think it would be awesome... to have doctors offices, dentists, and pharmacys in the area.... just a thought...

Sorry, I misunderstood your original point about Frenchtown. I agree with the above. It would further the mixed use in Frenchtown.

I think it's horrible that this high profile corner is only going to be a parking garage. It should include retail at the bottom and possibly classrooms in the middle or the top. What a waste of a signature piece of land.

I also think FSU should start moving toward a more walkable campus and implement this by not allowing Freshman and Sophomores to have cars on campus. Many large school have that rule. Instead FSU is giving into the auto by building more garages. Less garages less cars could mean better buses and mass transit, a more dense downtown and thus a better downtown. But as it stands now, soon they will be building massive parking garages all over campus and building large apartment building for those spoiled students all over town and one day as far out as Havana and Woodville. (just teasing on that last one)

LOL @ Apts in Havana and Woodville! :lol:

But you're right! I've heard talk that the Gaines Street future housing will target college students... what better time now to start planning for just what yoiu've proposed. I didn't like the sound of that when I was a freshman... but now that I'm about to graduated in a year I say Go for it! (what a jerk I am!). But seriously... I would have been more inclined to find residence near campus if I knew I couldn't drive as a freshman... that's a good idea and worth exploring.

the parking garages are providing a place for the cars, so there will be less traffic of students doing the vulture cirles for a parking spot. you can measure the time i used to drive in weeks when i was a commuter. Give the cars a destination where students can park them all day, without circling, moving, or paying parking meters, and the campus will be more walkable. I like the way other garages became destinations, the cafe is my fav for breakfast foods cheap. But garages will help. Going to class is easier if transportation isnt a gamble, however neccissary... (and you all know i am not a car advocate, but reality is still auto)

the parking garages are providing a place for the cars, so there will be less traffic of students doing the vulture cirles for a parking spot. you can measure the time i used to drive in weeks when i was a commuter. Give the cars a destination where students can park them all day, without circling, moving, or paying parking meters, and the campus will be more walkable. I like the way other garages became destinations, the cafe is my fav for breakfast foods cheap. But garages will help. Going to class is easier if transportation isnt a gamble, however neccissary... (and you all know i am not a car advocate, but reality is still auto)

^ St Joe reports that the school now has implace a rule that says no buildings taller than 5 stories. The parking mulit-story parking garage is much better than having a dirty flat gravel lot there.

Still this is prime Real Estate.. and I'm not sure the school is using this property to its fullest potential.

Considering the fact that in between classes, it's faster to walk up three three stories than it it to wait for the elevator, I am not surprised that there is a five story limit. There are too many students and I don't think there will be enough elevators even if they added more.

Archived