More building at FSU

psycuda

A new and improved College Avenue is definitely needed soon! I think Gillum is a good person to spearhead and oversee this project. I agree that the street does not need to turn into one long strip of unattractive bars. Looks like they've got ole T.K. thinking about this project too. Not sure if that will help much. He doesn't really strike me as a progressive innovative leader for urban development in and around FSU. But here's to hoping for something positive happening here soon and not just talk and discussion and NIMBY's crying this can't happen because I don't like it.

Link

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for throwing that out there... I'm wondering if this is coming on the heels of College Park Commons getting ready to start construction soon... there's always an eye opener when someone decides to invest in an area... it gets others to thinking what potential lies in that area. I see that happening along College and throughout the rest of downtown right now.

Like you, Poonther, I hope to see more action less talk.

College Avenue is not that bad, but I can see where improvement is needed. There are a couple of nasty Greek houses between Macomb and Copeland that are utter eyesores. Though I've never been, I've been told that Potbelly's is pretty nasty too. College Avenue is the gateway from downtown to the foot of FSU, and driving up College is so cool, to see FSU up at the top of the hill! We could do so much with that.....improved lighting, tree lined sidewalks, a trolley line. It's a small project, but a project like that is every urban planner's wet dream.

While walking down Macomb between Tennessee and College on Friday, I noticed quite a few abandoned houses, and a couple are downright dilapidated. I know that they're on FSU property, but what is FSU trying to do with them? They're eyesores, and it looks like homeless people and other vagrants may be using them to sleep. I'd like to see them restored and used possibly as for scholarship houses or something. They're charming houses, but in dire need of repair, and could certainly be used for something good.

Now on to something that's been brewing in my head for the past few days......

Tennessee Street. What can we do to improve it?

One idea I had that's relatively easy is to narrow Tennessee down to 4 lanes between Macomb and Woodward. Install a REAL median (trees, plants, curbs, etc) and widen the sidewalks with some trees to seperate them from the roadway. Currently, walking along Tenenssee Street, the sidewalks are so narrow that I could spread out my arms and hit a moving car. It's dangerous, especially to the club goers. Plus, a couple of restaurants (Pitaria and Charcoal Grill) have outside patio tables. Who'd want to eat outside with moving cars a few feet in front of you? All the better to narrow it.

As far as traffic, people might complain about a narrower road, but truth is, people will adapt. They'll just take Tharpe, Pensacola, Jefferson or something to get around it.

Another idea that's radical and costly is, make Tennessee a cut and cover tunnel between Macomb and Dewey. That is......dig up Tennessee, put it below grade, and put a cover on it that could be used as a pedestrian mall or something. It wouldn't disrupt businesses or take any properties, only the existing ROW used for the roadway. Cut and cover tunnels are cheaper than your conventional tunnels, and it's not that long of a distance, only 1/2 a mile. I can't speak for maintaining traffic along Tennessee while doing this, but I'm sure it's doable, if money is present.

I think both of your ideas are great, but I like the first a little more.

Thinking about it... a 4 lane road would probably be safer for the driver also considering the current 6-lane configuaration is such that the lanes are so thin. I'd love to see a landscaped median on Tennessee Street... I still maintain that the stretch between Monroe and Dewey St is the ugliest stretch in this city... especially around Mikes Beer Barn and Condomology. I'd really like to see something done around there to change the look of things.

If only the Mahan look was transplanted to the Tennessee side of 90... things would be awesome.

Problem with Tennessee is that it is a federal road, and as such is in a different set of rules than city and state roads. Because of it, doing all the cool stuff that makes sense becomes more difficult. You all do throw out some good ideas, however, such as a medical clinic/pharmacy that both FSU (clinic) and FAMU (pharmacy) would have a stake in would be good for Frenchtown.

Tennessee is an artery. Hihghway 90 through town, If I-10 were deignated a bypass around tallahassee(6 lanes will help, where 90 and I-10 cross on the east andwest sides of capital circle, then maybe a little of the throughfare traffic would stop. But all of your urban solutions need not include these lane deletions.

There is no way tennessee can support all the DT, Campus, and everyday traffic it does with only 4 lanes. the limited access segment of tennessee beside campus with the beautufl trees in the median, and one sexy view of DT if east bond is more of what i want from it. Half the lights, half the crosswalks. More Pedestrian bridges or tunnels. And how about a buslane for stops.

Those resteraunts knew the road was 6 lanes when they built the patio's, why should the road adjust for them... thats backwards.

Tennessee could use some beautification, but no center turn lane, adding access to fast food and bars from behind instead, will be safer and more convenient for those who are trying thier best to support our DT by getting into work. The west side is being developed again, so the throughfare need be left alone!! Like i said before, we need it, but it is all messed up

• 2 weeks later...

^ St Joe reports that the school now has implace a rule that says no buildings taller than 5 stories. The parking mulit-story parking garage is much better than having a dirty flat gravel lot there.

Still this is prime Real Estate.. and I'm not sure the school is using this property to its fullest potential.

This is a bad policy IMHO. The Florida State campus is one of the smallest in all of Florida. There is very little room left for expansion. It makes little sense especially when it comes to parking garages and student residences.

The school has a major parking shortage. Many lots are being converted to unsightly parking lots and expensive garages. I wonder when FSU admins will figure out that this problem could be reduced if they simply built dorms within walking distance of classrooms. The new DeGaffe residence should be at least 10-storeys in height.

Since another parking garage is probably needed regardless, it's also puzzling why they won't utilize it to its fullest potential. The new parking garage will be fronting Tennessee street, right? This would be an excellent place for streetfront retail which could go in on the ground floor. I know it's a small site, but classrooms or other uses could also be included just like parking garage #2. It would give the building a much more interesting facade when viewed from Tennessee street.

Just my two cents...

That's a new classroom building going up. It's rising pretty fast if I do say so myself. It's amazing how fast FSU can get up a new building :)

Then of course, the new DeGraff Hall is under construction, along with the new Wildwood Hall, Psych buildng, and Chemistry Building.

The next parking garage, I believe, is *supposed* to be located near Wildwood Hall, which is the parcel of land between Chieftan, Wildwood and Jefferson at the front door of the stadium.

How tall is it going to be? I noticed a crane on site the other day.

I agree. When land is scarce you build verticle. People have known that for centuries yet FSU does not adhere to this rule and complains. Fuzzy thinking over there I assume.

The new building will be 4-5 stories. Its acutally a plaza of buildings I think 4. There are renderings posted in the FSU forum I think.

Repost:

Considering the fact that in between classes, it's faster to walk up three three stories than it it to wait for the elevator, I am not surprised that there is a five story limit. There are too many students and I don't think there will be enough elevators even if they added more.

I rather not have to climb 10 stories worth of stairs between classes

Repost:

Considering the fact that in between classes, it's faster to walk up three three stories than it it to wait for the elevator, I am not surprised that there is a five story limit. There are too many students and I don't think there will be enough elevators even if they added more.

I rather not have to climb 10 stories worth of stairs between classes

What are you talking about? There is usually a 15 to 20 minute time period between classes. The problem is not getting from floor to floor, but getting from one end of the campus to the other. In addition, the elevators work fine in the dorms which service a high volume of people. I don't buy your argument one bit.

Well... the argument has some validity when you think of a large number of people trying to use an elevator system at the same time. However I would assume in a dorm built for say, grad students, that would rarely be the case, with everyone coming and going at much more a different pace. An administrative building to house all of the school's special departments that are now kinda scattered about the campus would free up room in other places for the school to expand within. So I like the opportunities that are available with no height limitations.

Well... the argument has some validity when you think of a large number of people trying to use an elevator system at the same time. However I would assume in a dorm built for say, grad students, that would rarely be the case, with everyone coming and going at much more a different pace. An administrative building to house all of the school's special departments that are now kinda scattered about the campus would free up room in other places for the school to expand within. So I like the opportunities that are available with no height limitations.

I see what you're saying but let's look at the alternatives. I would much rather wait for an elevator or take the stairs than having classes fragmented around campus. To me the latter is a much bigger inconvenience, but that's what will happen if the existing lots aren't used efficiently.

I'm not sure how many classroom floors are in Bellamy but the elevator situation has never been a problem. Even if it does turn out to be a problem, the bottom 3 or 4 floors could be used as classrooms while the top floors could be professor/grad student offices.

I agree... I'm still a fan of high-rise student housing on campus. I think some of FSU's best buildings are those highrises on the west end of campus... although in need of some serious makeovers.

If I were FSU... I'd focus more on building up College Avenue high-rise student living. That's the type of gateway needed between FSU and downtown Tallahassee.

I have enjoyed reading your posts for some time and only now have something to add to these otherwise rich and considerate dialogues. The footprint of FSU's new Parking Garage #4 will not occupy the entire two lots (faculty and student) that have been fenced off. The garage will be situated closer to Call Street, leaving a strip of land for future development alongside Tennessee Street. The early proposal is to landscape this area and hold it in reserve for a multipurpose building that could include administrative, curricular, or retail space. As of yet, there are no specific occupants and no budget appropriation to move the building beyond proposal phase.

As for the idea of a large-scale marquee Fine Arts-Theatre-Dance-Music sign at the Macomb / Tennessee intersection, there has been talk of this for several years. I only know that the budget for such a sign is more than a hundred thousand dollars and it is unclear which budget would pay for it. I imagine that with the completion of the new parking garage and landscaping of the frontage, some high-profile signage solution will be placed at the corner that marks the North-Easternmost point of the FSU campus.

yes yes yes... a few tidbits for me....

TJ is currect in his worries for highrise classrooms. I laugh at the elevator comments on facebook from my big city counterparts. I could see students traversing 7 floors, any more than that i can see as too much too ask. top floor as offices is a good way to solve it. ever read wayside stories when you were a kid? one buildin 72 floors, live, eat, schoool, play all inside the same building!!lol

tha parking garages should be situated on the edges of campus, so what isnt bad realestate. its needed. Parking is an easy, but truthful excuss for a ton of students on the east side of campus. there is no way i could've walked form the civic center to the FAB with all my supplies...

FSU needs more toys to give the students something other than the bars and clubs to entertain ourselves with...

Im getting kinda antsy on the Symphony. The proposed rendering sign sits out front with a banner hung from the old dilapitated house from which the symphony will rise up.

Problem is..... no dirt turned............ When? i know they started selling units... when will the mayor tread his sneakers on the symphonys grounbreaking ceremony?

Archived