Future of Land Ports in Nashville

smeagolsfree

A great article was in the Tennessean this morning about the future of the Demonbreun street land port. Althought the bridge is down right now, do you see this as being the commuter rail stop for the S.E. line?

Also, something that was not mentioned in the article is the future of the land port between 6th and 7th. That port is one I do not understand very well because there is no parking there and bus only signs up. It seems as if the busses are the only vehicles allowed into that area. Does someone know the exact use of that facility. That is the area that the propsed convention center will go.

Are the land ports a thing of the past with the advent of rail coming into downtown? It looks as if the Titans lot is doing a better job of being a land port than any that were built.

I agree with the article that the land port on Demonbreun is a perfect place for a rail transit staion.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...EWS09/511250373

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd just finished the article when I saw your post. The saftey concerns and eventual demolition of the bridge sure had its impact on the port, but as the story projected, if the necessary details can be worked out with CSX, the landport's already being there will certainly speed up the viability of the southeastern commuter lines. It could actually become a more lively place in the future because of the speed at which the Gulch is being developed.

I'm really anxious for the Demonbreun St. bridge to be done; I've really missed it.

I believe the other landport is in the footprint of the convention center proposal. I was never really sure what purpose it served anyway. Maybe it could be incorporated into the center in the long run, but I doubt it. Some intermodal there would have to be put in from scratch I believe.

That landport was built for use by all the magnet school buses. Since all of the kids that go to magnet schools do not have school buses to get to school many use MTA. MTA has specific routes for magnet school kids that cover a large portion of the city and the kids ride these buses into the landport every morning where they transfer to the buses that take them to their schools. While its very useful I'd say that ladport is expendable. But there does need to be some area where all the magnet buses can meet downtown in the morning and afternoon, right now the other landports can't handle the traffic of the magnet buses because they are busy serving the regular routes.

Thanks for the info GaTechGuy. I never knew what was up with that.

Also, I took a quick inventory of buildings in the proposed CC site and it looks as if there are only around a dozen structures in that entire 6 block area plus the NES sub-station. I really hope this thing gets built on that site. Its a whole lot better use of land.

Archived