615 Boylan

DanRNC

Well, after much thought and studying of the rendering, I've decided that I approve of the design. I really like the perch thing on top and I actually like the red X's as well. Its a nice divider.

I do have a problem with the bottom floor...I'm not a fan of that color brick and it looks a little dark and uninviting. It really does look like the entrance to a C-store at NC State. But other than that I actually like it now.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still on the fence with this one from a design perspective. The most impressive thing is the height. It will probably be the actual height of an 11-12 story building...as those high ceilings account for added dimensions.

Where was the rendering grabbed from. I'd like to see more renderings.

These condo proposals are getting boring. I can't believe they want to put the brick Glen on Peace up. I mean, great idea, poor execution. I have always been an advocate for any development in downtown but, what kind of architectural statement are we setting up for the future when we are buliding projects with dated designs.

I do think the Paramount will stay fresh for a while. But Glen on Peace is truly a let down.

variety is generally good. modern can be good. funky can be good.

but, dude. that building is bad.

no street level interest; one entire wall is blank; square, boxy and boring (red x's don't save it from that).

I'm not saying everything has to look like the Paramount, but this is not an attractive addition to downtown.

It will, however, look just fine near the old folks' tower just down Boylan from this location. Yep. Should fit right in.

My question: who would pay that kind of money for a condo in something that looked like that?

I think I kind of like it. It is not unlike the Hudson in concept. I hate the Paramount which to me is just north Raleigh vanilla blandness recreated in the form of condos. I do agree that the blank wall needs some windows but maybe that is because the footprint is up against the adjacent lot and a future building will be up against it. Boylan Flats reminds me of the original industrial conversions that went on up north and in a hidden case or two around Raleigh. It will be something like Helios in feel overall and the groundfloor will feel like the Wilmington St side of the Hudson. If Boylan flats was priced around 150k it would be a presale sellout. I too think Glen on Peace is too vanilla although breezeway patios looking out onto Peace Street is a decent touch, but the building itself looks like something from a surburban office park.

The more I look at it, the more I think its freakin' great actually. The whole Dawson, Paramount, 222 Glenwood design is worn out and boring.

^speaking of boring, am I the only one who sees a striking similarity in Park Dereaux and the Dawson (other than the facade)? Appears as though the developer used the same architect and they just dusted off the plans with some minor updates.

The scale of the buildings are similar, plus the Juliette balconies and Italianette brackets...yeah I see it. If only Park Deveraux had some retail on the Hargett corner...Hargett could be the coolest street in the city if you could peace together the gay strip with the african american strip. There is Cuba, Est Est Est and Father and Sons but City Hall and that huge communications building really break it up though. Downtown can't really seem to put together a large strip of continuous activity...I am talking on the order of M street in Georgetown.....Hargett so freakin' close....could...go...all...the...way from Moore Square/Exploris to the TTA station if...only if...

But then again, this would probably be somehow "cool" if it were a 40 year old Ho-jo, converted to condos or apartments.

Count me in the minority, but something just appeals to me about it. It looks very open. It certainly doesn't look like a luxury condo building a-la Paramount or Dawson, but then again, not every urban residential building should try to look like each unit cost a million dollars.

In my opinion, its utilitarian and blue-collar appearance is part of the appeal.

I'm with you. I like the openness and just the uniqueness that it would bring to the area. Everything now is so brick and upscale looking. I don't want a bunch of paramounts sitting around glenwood south. i say let 'em build it!

Maybe a bit more could be done to the bottom floor, but thats all, IMO.

The only thing i would change is the whitish brick at the bottom and add some windows to the sides. It isn't all that bad, i mean there have been worse. Plus, raleigh needs a little more architectural variety. Every thing seems to be either stucco or brick, add some wharehouse/urban chic design and there is a concept that raleigh could handle.

Hm. Instead of a coffee shop or boutique in the ground floor, how about a convenience store? Like a 7-Eleven. That just seems to fit with the design, somehow.

Down the street there is already the "7-Even," aka Peace Street Market, which is only the best convenience store in town, but that place closes at midnight. I certainly wouldn't worry about Peace Street market losing business: they have the reputation and the Beer thing going for them, plus all the people at Raleigh Apartments - and besides, convenience stores can thrive in relative proximity to each other.

A 24-hour convenience store targeted at walk-in traffic would be an incredible amenity for the neighborhood as places like Paramount, 222 Glenwood, Boylan Flats, Glen on Peace, etc. come online. The key would be to keep it clean, bright, and safe even late at night - and 7-Eleven is pretty good at that.

Now we just have to bring 7-Eleven to North Carolina...

The only thing i would change is the whitish brick at the bottom and add some windows to the sides. It isn't all that bad, i mean there have been worse. Plus, raleigh needs a little more architectural variety. Every thing seems to be either stucco or brick, add some wharehouse/urban chic design and there is a concept that raleigh could handle.
Agreed about the architectural variety thing. We definitely want to avoid having too many urban McMansions.

I think the Hudson is cool because it's different. Boylan Flats will fit squarely in that category as well. Regarding the windows, I speculate that they are left out on the side because this will be built to the lot line and eventually have something directly next to it. 8 stories is not tall enough to guarantee that it will stand above everything that springs up around it, so no reason to have windows there when they'd just be bricked in once the neighbors "moved in!" It's a practice that has been in use since the very dawn of urban architecture.

I think it looks like a motel squeezed into a tiny property at the beach. There is nothing charming about it. There is no nod to any greater architecture and the overall shape of the building is totally dull. I give this building two thumbs down.

This is the Boylan Ave facade, so the right side's blank wall will face the McDonald's (which is getting ready to be torn down and rebuilt). Is the McDonald's going to be tall and abutting the Flats?

Regarding a coffee shop on the street level: What will happen with all of this retail space when people get sick of coffee?

Agreed about the architectural variety thing. We definitely want to avoid having too many urban McMansions.

I think the Hudson is cool because it's different. Boylan Flats will fit squarely in that category as well. Regarding the windows, I speculate that they are left out on the side because this will be built to the lot line and eventually have something directly next to it. 8 stories is not tall enough to guarantee that it will stand above everything that springs up around it, so no reason to have windows there when they'd just be bricked in once the neighbors "moved in!" It's a practice that has been in use since the very dawn of urban architecture.

I don't disagree that we need variety, but different doesn't automatically equal better.

The balconies on that side of the building, and it's location outside of the comparatively more dense downtown grid lead me to think that the windowlessness on that wall is not a function of some future adjacent high rise. I aplaud the Green building principles; maybe the blank wall has something to do with energy efficiency. Whatever its cause, it makes the building look ugly and uninspired. Even without additional fenestration, one could easily incorporate SOME visual interest on that blank wall and still maintain energy efficiency and a modernist look.

Main problem to me is that the street level looks so run down and unwelcoming.

That said, the price point for these units make me think that the interiors will be stunning. I bet the views from the upper floors will be hard to beat.

There are three convenience stores near by:

- Seven Even (peace street market)

- 6 - 12 (have only been inside once, not that impressed)

- the mini-mart in the new exxon station at Peace and St. Marys.

The next closest is the mini mart near Dive Bar and Snoopys, but that's blocks away.

The "24 hour fix" is sort of covered by the Cameron Village Harris Teeter, which is walkable, but a bit of a hike. I don't know how late 6-12 and/or the min-mart in the Dive Bar/Mary Lou's buildin is open.

Is this enough? I dunno... but putting something in ground floor here would be closer Glenwood south than the other three.

Years ago, there used to be a Medicine Shoppe where Mojo's (and before that the first location for Moonlight Pizza) is now, I think in support of the Old Folks Tower down the block. I don't know what they do now, other than cab/bus/walk to the open till midnight Eckards.

Given the styling of the building, I would like to see something like the Eat cafes in London on the ground floor, with patio and inside sitting options. Or in the ground floor of 222 Glenwood (which is what I was asking about before). In my "win the lottery" dreams, I'd already have this open/close to open in one of the empty storefronts on Fayetville St. LOL.

I don't think the area is "restauranted" out, but something quick, simple, more substantial than a muffin or pastry, and not fast food would be good. Or maybe a Panera Bread? I know it's a chain, but it would be different and a good fit for the area. Or maybe a funky clothing botique owned by one of the building's residents? Or that Tiffany lamp store that's going to be taken down to make room for the Glen on Peace.

It would be nice if they could do some kind of mural on the north and south walls. No matter what goes in at the southwest peace/boylan corner, it is years away, and this monolith will be visible for years.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like about 1/3 of the ground level may actually come up to the sidewalk. The part that juts out on the left was absent in the other rendering earlier in the thread.

This makes a big difference to me -- I'm much more OK with ugly buildings if they maintain a pedestrian orientation.

What in the world is a "semi-private elevator"?

(edit:) It looks like there are 3 vertical service cores, two detached in the back, one down the middle. I assume the one in the middle is the elevator and the two in the rear are stairs. Could I have it reversed? Would they allow only one stairwell for a 7-story building?

Archived