The Identity of Grand Rapids

dbrok

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MSU predicts by 2020 or so that the corridor will be filled in. I can see the next metro addition to be Kalamazoo then onto Lansing Exoburbs (Charlotte/Olivet in Eaton County, you'd be supprised to hear that these communties listen, read, and watch GR stations and culture) It's a part of reality if GR is to be a hub of the region.

Onto what Eagle was saying about the Familys. I have a personal connection to both familys, and they treated my Great Grandfather with utmost respect and for that I return the favor.

I have to agree with blueradon to the extent that maybe we're "not quite ready for prime-time", but in five years, that might be totally changed.

I think of:

Healthcare

Philanthropy

Hills (compared to much of Michigan, Northern Ohio and Indiana)

Low crime

I kinda like the Grand Endeavors idea.

I would agree that Healthcare and Health Research will be the big identity items of the next 10-20 years. We are also starting to get a reputation for LEED and Greenbuild design in the country. I've also heard in terms of social service that we have a very collaborative culture that fosters partnerships (public/private) which ties into your point on philanthropy. I think the exciting thing about GR is that the size is not so large that the social issues are insurmountable.

In regards to the health care and research, that seems to be the flavor of the month with all large cities around the country trying to build up and cash in on it. There are a few that are already established, like Boston and San Francisco, and everyone else trying to play catch up.

It will be very interesting in the next few years who will be able to capitalize on it, and who will be left in the dust. My money is on GR, especially with the VAI, but only time will tell on this one.

But of course we will always say that our health science corridor in GR will win over oher cities. I wonder if what we are having here is mediocre in most other cities. Is GR research unique to other cities with research facilities? I wonder if GR was able to cure cancer or obesity (which I believe is the kind of research going on in the VAI) would it put GR on all the maps?

MSU predicts by 2020 or so that the corridor will be filled in. I can see the next metro addition to be Kalamazoo then onto Lansing Exoburbs (Charlotte/Olivet in Eaton County, you'd be supprised to hear that these communties listen, read, and watch GR stations and culture) It's a part of reality if GR is to be a hub of the region.

I would say that from grand rapids to the lakeshore southward to kalamazoo will be filled by 2050.

In regards to the health care and research, that seems to be the flavor of the month with all large cities around the country trying to build up and cash in on it. There are a few that are already established, like Boston and San Francisco, and everyone else trying to play catch up.

It will be very interesting in the next few years who will be able to capitalize on it, and who will be left in the dust. My money is on GR, especially with the VAI, but only time will tell on this one.

In regards to that John, I don't think you have to be the biggest and best to have a well-defined brand. Look at Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill and RTP. There are probably many more technology companies in Boston and Silicon Valley, yet Raleigh still has built a great identity of being a mid-sized technology hub, which they have been able to capitalize on. Rochester, MN however, with the Mayo Clinic, I think has not capitalized on their clear health research identity. I haven't heard of a rush of biotechnology or health-sciences to that city (mainly because there is not much else there). Spectrum Health has as their mission statement to be the largest, highest quality, and most successful healthcare provider in the U.S. by 2010. And partnered with MSU and VAI, the national exposure will only grow. You can already see VAI mentioned in many national health-science publications and websites:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/286/5438/218

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:uY8UB...institute&hl=en

http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/lists/pdb-l/200103/msg00034.html

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/abramson/pastSeminars_2004.html

http://jncicancerspectrum.oxfordjournals.o.../jnci;93/11/803

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Hj_Ey...institute&hl=en

http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/2002/0211...nj6913-04a.html

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20011006/fob1.asp

And to the social services item bwindi, I just saw in the paper this weekend a two-page financial statement from the Grand Rapids Community Foundation, showing it holds about $187,000,000 in NET ASSETS :blink: Zooinkies!

And finally, to the anti-Devos statement, although the Devos and Van Andel families have done a great deal for the city, putting them into an GR identity campaign would be a death sentence. There is just a certain stigma that travels with Amway that will repel more outsiders than attract them, IMO.

Sorry, I'll check my sarcasm at the door on such a touchy subject -_-

GRDaddy:

The "issue" I had with your post was how you phrased "inner city" in its relation to metro GR. I've seen this language as well in other discussions about local businesses, GRPS, & central city neighborhoods, hence why I stand up and ask for clarification.

I'm open to diverse ideas/opinions of others and I understand how my own views/values are not always "right" for everyone (though they should be!)

The beauty of this forum is that it's dynamic, educational, fun (no bs here), diverse, and it offers a release for many of us from our hectic lives. I participate on this forum and appreciate it for those reasons.

peace,

-Kung Pow girl

I think that GR does not have much of a national Identidy because it is overshadowed by Detroit, Chicago, milwaukee, even lansing. I think were in the same boat as toledo and fort wayne but have more potential

unfortunatly I know there are some negative regional stereotypes of GR I learned because most of the people at my school are eastsiders and I work in a hotel, like being a cheap "dutch" city and having a bunch of in your face Bible salesmans and pyrimid scemes. Although I am partly dutch, cristian and worked at amway, these stereotyes need to change. Also many people are surprosed to find out GR is the second biggest city in the state and there is a nice and big downtown allthough still lacks some shopping and a movie theater

I do not think the GR metro population should include Holland and Muskegon they are separate cities with forest and farm land in between the suburbs. I think the metro area should be defined as Kent sount of Rockford plus NE Allegan and SE Ottawa counties. My estimated population 700K. The larger "West MI" area would include all Allagan Ottawa Kent and Muskegan counties as well as maybe Newago, Oceana, Barry, Montcalm, and Ionia too

I think the best we can do for an identidy is to be a "hidden secret" type city that would surprise visitors by the reality of the urbanism but yet a nice downtown and low crime for its size. Also need to build on the Medical fields, college town (yes college town), strong local businesses, and short getaways to the country, resorts, beach, golf, ect. If we improve these things and move towards a "mini-Chicago" downtown and control the suburban sprall, continue to build up the inner city, I think we will begin to loose our negative steeotypes and form a more national image or at least regional. IMO

GR may not be that well known in the general public's eye, but in some niche markets GR is

known. I was talking with my girlfriend about punk music (which I can't stand, but thats another

story) she listens to. She told me that GR has a very large and well known underground punk

scene.... Kind of like Blues to New Orleans, Louisiana. Also, GR has a fantastic talent pool that rivals large cities, it will be interesting to see where Heartside/Eastown goes with this.

Ideas that could attract attention:

• Eastown, Heartside and the great bond the neighborhood organizations have here.

• Bubble of creative culture and grass roots movements.

• Stay away from the "small town" feel, or anything to do with a small city.

This can potentially add more to the heaping pile of misleading images of Grand

Rapids. What we want to do is lcreate an image of city flavor with a culture that isn't

"growing a big head." People like to flock to cities that are shifting from one ideal to

another. Everytime I walk around town, or goto work I can see it, theres a tone achanging.

We should pick out the uniqueness of GR and playoff the top 3 or 4 topics that make us who we are as a society and as a city.

I think the image of Grand Rapids is improving on the East side of the State. When I was in college (back in the 17th Century), many of my friends were from the Metro Detroit area and could not believe I wanted to move here. But now, I meet many people from Metro D who tell me they have heard great things about West Michigan and GR. That's a big start! Much of it is word-of-mouth (read The Tipping Point).

And with the improvements and exploding use of Devos Place (amazing article in the Business Journal today), more visitors will come here who have never been here before. I think we've talked it here before about how the great majority of visitors here have positive and surprising experiences here.

But much more needs to be done.

Rizzo, it must be all the Goth architecture :P

I think the image of Grand Rapids is improving on the East side of the State. When I was in college (back in the 17th Century), many of my friends were from the Metro Detroit area and could not believe I wanted to move here. But now, I meet many people from Metro D who tell me they have heard great things about West Michigan and GR. That's a big start! Much of it is word-of-mouth (read The Tipping Point).

And with the improvements and exploding use of Devos Place (amazing article in the Business Journal today), more visitors will come here who have never been here before. I think we've talked it here before about how the great majority of visitors here have positive and surprising experiences here.

But much more needs to be done.

Rizzo, it must be all the Goth architecture :P

I've been hearing this stuff too. Hugely encouraging. The word of mouth approach is probably the most legitimate way to brand our city. But it's also probably a great time to add to our growing positive rep with the aforementioned campaign.

Why is this area of Michigan only referred to as "West Michigan" rather than "Grand Rapids?" Whenever we are mentioned on the national stage it's as "West Michigan." Outside of the area nobody knows that that's the Grand Rapids Area. You don't hear Cleveland referred to as north Ohio, or Detroit as East Michigan. I believe most of our advertising campaigns have marketed "West Michigan" to the national markets.

When I travel out of state people ask where Grand Rapids is because they hardly ever hear of it. Even recently with the stupid WalMart incident that made the national news it wasn't reported as happening in Grand Rapids, it was in West Michigan.

We certainly aren't getting any name recognition. I know the other cities that make up West Michigan wouldn't support a campaign advertising "Grand Rapids" but maybe it would help with a national identity. These other cities could say they're in the Grand Rapids area, not in West Michigan.

That peeves me two Eagle, thanks for mentioning. I think you can't just market a whole region. We need to market The City of Grand Rapids. Remember its easier to remember Grand Rapids rather then GR-Holland-Muskegon or West Michigan, becuase thats just to vague. According to West Michigan mag or whatever its called, West Michigan reaches from K'zoo all the way up to the Bridge, way to vauge.

Why is this area of Michigan only referred to as "West Michigan" rather than "Grand Rapids?" Whenever we are mentioned on the national stage it's as "West Michigan." Outside of the area nobody knows that that's the Grand Rapids Area. You don't hear Cleveland referred to as north Ohio, or Detroit as East Michigan. I believe most of our advertising campaigns have marketed "West Michigan" to the national markets.

When I travel out of state people ask where Grand Rapids is because they hardly ever hear of it. Even recently with the stupid WalMart incident that made the national news it wasn't reported as happening in Grand Rapids, it was in West Michigan.

We certainly aren't getting any name recognition. I know the other cities that make up West Michigan wouldn't support a campaign advertising "Grand Rapids" but maybe it would help with a national identity. These other cities could say they're in the Grand Rapids area, not in West Michigan.

A perfect example of this is the "West Michigan Whitecaps". I have heard people ask if they were from Holland, Kalamazoo, and even Muskegon.

Well with the way Greenville is growing lately...they might as well start plans to stretch an expressway over this way and connect with mount pleasant....but we're talkin a good 10-15 years before that happens? Maybe 20?

It's kinda hard to say whether cities like greenville or belding, or lowell should be really considered GR Metro because we are in equal distances between GR and Lansing...but I think for sure in the future they will become GR suburbs...if not labeled one already.

Archived