Central City, KY Part II (Downtown)

Lexy

Here is the secon part of my tour. It is of the downtown area and the small warehouse district that appears to the south of downtown. The area has most definatly seen its better days, but it's trying to come back with recent investments and construction!

The Library.

Picture598.jpg

City Hall and the Water-Sewer Department building.

Picture599.jpg

Old City Hall.

Picture612.jpg

Purple Onion on the far right (bar in the windows part) and the Cinema 4 to its left. Very nice cinema and very modern for a town this size.

Picture613.jpg

The Courtyard assisted living in downtown. It takes up an entire block that remained vacant for a number of years.

Picture615.jpg

Restored buildings

Picture617.jpg

Part of the original downtown and the United Methodist Church in the background.

Picture618.jpg

Pathetic!

Picture619.jpg

My favorite building in the city. Our flatiron.

Picture620.jpg

In Central City, both the railroad and coal are king. This is P&L's railroad bridge over downtown. The train yard is about a mile to the left of here.

Picture621.jpg

Another restored block.

Picture622.jpg

The historic Post Office (still used!)

Picture623.jpg

A corner office perhaps?

Picture624.jpg

A relic of what Central city used to be. High class.

Picture626.jpg

Flatiron block on Broad Street.

Picture628.jpg

Times Argus newspaper and block.

Picture629.jpg

Typical storefront.

Picture636.jpg

Warehouse district that ties downtown to the residential neighborhoods to the south.

Picture632.jpg

Continued.......................( Next, heading out of town)

Click for Part III http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18474

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More superb pics!!! Is Central City not the County Seat?

I really like the old Post Office, there a few here and there of that vintage still in use scattered across West KY and West TN. I also really think its neat Central City has such nice theatre downtown.

Cool stuff.

No, Greenville is the county seat. It is only 4 miles south of Central City and is relatively the same size(4,800). Central City is the economic center of the area though. Greenville is the sleepy little American town.

The cities run into one another with strip malls and other stuff like the fairgrounds and airport. A Rural king (LOL!!) Kroger and other fast food restaurants like Mcdonald's, Pizza Hut, Sonic, and Hardees are down this way. There is even a skating rink too! I will do this area later on though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I surely didn't expect to see CENTRAL CITY, KY photos on Urban Planet ~ LOL!

Very familiar with that town.

Yeah. Strange isn't it? It is home to me though, so I gotta represent.

How are you familiar with Central City??? I would love to know, LOL!!!

• 1 year later...

:rolleyes: What a special treat to wander into a wonderful site, with photos

of my home town. What memories of CCHS, Central City, KY Grill,

DQ, & Chaney's Barbecue. This was the driving pattern on a Frio Sat night, if we weren't having a basketball game. I was born & raised

in Central City, & woudn't have traded one of those days for anyhing.

I'm sure I am older than most who have posted here, as I graduated

in 1962, & then on to Murray State Univesity.

I now live in FL, & love it here. But no one had a better town, people who cared about you, it was always pretty safe, great friends, & what

fun. Thank you Lexie for creating this website, & giving us who live

far away, a taste of home.

Jan

• 4 weeks later...

i'm going to be taking a trip with my grandmother to muhlenberg county on august 6th. she was born in beech creek, and i wanted to take her to the county and explore around a bit. what would be the best place to eat down there. i was thinking some homegrown rather than a chain. any info on neat things to see while we are there would be cool too. i'm not sure exactly how much time we'll be spending there.

I'm going to be taking a trip with my grandmother to muhlenberg county on august 6th. she was born in beech creek, and i wanted to take her to the county and explore around a bit. what would be the best place to eat down there. i was thinking some homegrown rather than a chain. any info on neat things to see while we are there would be cool too. I'm not sure exactly how much time we'll be spending there.

Archived