Lakehurst Mall

myrtlesquare

I was just wondering if anyone had memories of the old mall. Perhaps share a photo?

Here's my strongest memory from 1996 (remember, I was only 8):

You would enter the almost half-vacant mall with a wonderful smell of Cinnabon cinnamon rolls. You could smell them from all over the mall. Carson's was memorable because the management never remodeled it since 1971. :P The interior of the mall was somewhat neutral to what I've heard it's been. The centerpiece of the mall, the silver structure that hung from the ceiling, showed Lakehurst's past, as well. I would have not probably stepped foot in the mall except for the fact that my mom worked in the Hallmark department in Carson's.

I guess the so-called Lakehurst complex "town within a town" is no more except for the convenience center.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had an idea of what Lakehurst Mall was going to look like in 2000, two years after I left the Chicago area. After finding these two photos of it online, it's almost ironic.

Lakehurst28-401x332.jpg

Lakehurst29-494x333.jpg

My exact vision :shok:

Anyhow, I'm glad the area is being redeveloped. Wonder what Fountain Square will turn out to be.

There is a Lakehurst Mall tribute site on the Internet. I don't have the address, but you can google "lakehurst mall" and find it pretty easily.

You mean LakehurstMall.net? That's where I got the two photos above from. Great photos, I just wish there were more of them.

• 2 weeks later...

2082.jpg

Here's a picture of it from 1971 when it opened from a postcard from Digital Past. There was a renovation in 1979, stripping the mall from anything 70's.

It says: Lakehurst Shopping Center, Waukegan, Illinois. An interior view of this new shopping center, the largest in Lake County. There are some 115 stores in which to shop.

Many Yellow Pages services still have Lakehurst and its businesses listed as working numbers. I mean, come on! The majority of the mall closed 4+ years ago. :rofl:

Just some of the few:

MALL:

Lakehurst Mall (general): 847-473-0234 - This search hit 45 on Google when I typed the phone number in

STORES:

American Vision Center: 847-473-1345

Kay Jewelers: 847-473-0800

Whitehall Jewellers: 847-473-4800

Yan's Hunan Inn: 847-473-1660

Osco (might still be active): 847-473-0606

Intrigue: 847-689-2606

I'll add more on as I see them...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived