"Riverpointe" now "St. John"

Captain Obvious

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Simms, it looks like your getting the hight you want, well close...

Also at the meeting, DRC members gave conceptual approval to three major condominium projects downtown, including St. Johns Point, The Vu, and The St. John.

Walter O'Shea, a representative from Hines, the real estate firm developing The St. John, said that a strong positive response from the public following the late November announcement of plans for the condominium tower prompted the company to increase the height of the all-glass structure from 43 to 51 stories. The new tower would stretch to a height of 527 feet and include 300 condominiums.

By comparison, the Modis building is 535 feet tall.

Developer representatives of St. Johns Point, which gave preliminary presentations to the DRC in August and September, also won conceptual approval for a condominium project including four towers of 15, 30, 33 and 36 stories.

Although the architect said that market conditions would affect the final plans of the project, officials from the developer, Crosswinds Communities, has said that the project would include 840 condominium units, 107,000 square feet of retail space, and about 115,000 square feet of office space.

The third phase of St. Johns Center, a three-tower project of developer American Land Ventures LLC, also received conceptual approval. The final 190-unit condominium tower, dubbed "The Vu," would join The Peninsula and The Strand on the Southbank of the St. Johns River

Source

478ft and 43 floors = 11.1ft per floor

527ft and 51 floors = 10.3ft per floor

As others previously speculated, I would have expected something more along the lines of 550+ feet. But whatever, I'll take it ;).

Given that the public response was positive towards the St. John making the company increase the floor space to 51 floors, what's the possibility do you guys think of it being increased again perhaps later in the year especially next year since sales won't start until later spring 2006?

What's the possibility you think of it changing from 51 floors to perhaps 60 floors or maybe even higher? Is this possible in our market yout think b/c I'm sure there's more than plenty of demand out there for this? After all, when the St. John was initially announced, it was @ 43 floors while the company said that they would add an additional 5 or 6 floors if demand was there, well, it sure seems that way since it's now 51 floors which would mean they added 8 more floors than the 5 or 6 originally meant for it... This would be so awesome should they increase the floor count to 60+ floors!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh I wasn't aware until now that the plans had changed, from the Riverpoint towers to the St.John. I am quite disappointed, and even a bit disheartened. I am obviously in the minority on this one, but I LOVED the original two tower design by KJB. Now that was DRAMA!

But this new tower looks BORING BORING BORING, uninspiring, inappropriate with it's neighbors........

What a damn shame. Jax had a terrific opportunity to make a statement about itself, but that statement will apparently be status quo. i.e. uninteresting architecture.

Yes it will look gorgeous all lit up at night, reflecting in the river. But wouldn't an architectural marvel be even better???

I lived in Jax 1979-1995. I now live in the Seattle area.

• 4 months later...

has anyone seen the latest rendering of the St. John tower on the times union website today? aside from it being lit up, does it look different from the last rendering? It look less cylindrical? Granted it still looks relatively the same but was wondering if anyone knew why if it is different, why they had decided to change it.....

I think it is just the different angle that makes it look less cylindrical...the side facing the river (the side that was shown in the last rendering) will be curved in order to get maximum exposure to the river, and the inland side flat-faced. I don't think they made any changes, but I like this rendering though! It's not crooked like the last one!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived