Ann Arbor pictures

ZachariahDaMan

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I love about Ann Arbor is how incredibly organic is feels. Everything feels perfectly connected, but naturally.

BTW, can someone tell me the name of these two buildings and what they are exactly:

100_0843.jpg

100_0858.jpg

Just a little critique...maybe next time you could make it so that the date of the pictures don't appear on the photos. It can be kind of distracting from an otherwise excellent photo tour. I look forward to seeing more photos of Ann Arbor.

Above is the Corner House apartments, and the bottom is the old YMCA, now a housing project. Corner House was just finished a little over a year ago. And it's facade is fake as hell.

Great pics Zach, next time you come I can show you around some more. Congrats on getting your license! It's an amazing thing to be able to go wherever you want now.

BTW, the first photo of the William street parking structure. There is plans to add even more levels to it since there may be some taller buildings going up behind it. This will be the 2nd time the structure had additional levels added.

Yes, Corner House Lofts does look cheap. You can see it's nothing more than poorly placed brick curtain wall panels. I had just never seen it before.

When you say the YMCA is a project, you mean public housing, right?

Thanks for the explaination about the William Street Parking Structure. I thought that it looked unfinished with that one tiny level up top.

Yeah, as in publc housing. The new YMCA a few blocks away is awesome. The whole Ashley Corridor will be pretty amazing when the loft projects are done and the new office and condo buildings go up.

What a hate about Corner House Apartments is that exterior feels like it's merely wrapped onto the building... when in fact, it actually is. The "brick" facade was rolled on... it's exterior wallpaper. Up close, you can't tell at all. But I feel the building could have used more depth. It seems so flat.

That whole area surrounding that intersection has some really bad scale problems. The building going up behind is six stories tall and has ridiculously high ceilings for a classroom building, which is why it looks odd next to an 8 story building. Then there is the Frieze building across the street which ranges from 3-5 stories and is almost 3/4 height of corner apartments and the construction project. Of course, the hundred year old Frieze building is about to face the wrecking ball for a new residence hall, which we have yet to see renderings for.

I'm so sick of construction on campus. It's cool to see progress, but for once I, and nearly the whole student body, wants to enjoy U of M in a finished state. The University Plant Extension stopped updating their list of new buildings going up because it got too long lol. :)

Just a little critique...maybe next time you could make it so that the date of the pictures don't appear on the photos. It can be kind of distracting from an otherwise excellent photo tour. I look forward to seeing more photos of Ann Arbor.

Okay thanks, I'll consider it before I take pictures next but I like having the date on the bottom.

• 1 month later...

It's really the only area the city is going to permit taller buildings. The city now has to get over their dillema of returning to highrise buildings. The city is way too crowded, and there isn't enough affordable housing. The Williamson Street corridor is a perfect area for a row of highrises.

Just down the street from the proposed 12-14 story buildings, this one is slated to go up

rentals.jpg

It's not very tall, but should fit in well with the neighborhood around it.

Archived