Ovation Condo

HSVTiger

This project was mentioned last year and it seem s it is making slow progress.

I would think a step back design would work well, but I am leary of what may be proposed.

Why does it have to look like the existing building, laziness probably on part of the architect.

Two years after the City Council approved Big Spring Summit, an eight-story office tower beside the Big Spring International Park lagoon, plans are in the works for a second high-rise structure that could include as many as 40 condos, plus restaurants, retail stores and offices. The second phase of Triad Properties' project could rise just as high as the Summit building, but stretch twice as far along the waterfront.

Stroud, noting the other downtown projects that are under way, said interest in more eateries and living units downtown remains high. "There's clearly a demand," he said.

(Ok then why is taking so long to see this demand met?)

Stroud wouldn't say exactly how big the next building might be. But Spencer and Fanning told of plans they've seen proposing a structure the same height and facade as the Big Spring Summit office tower. "We've seen the concept but not the specifics of the mix. It's similar to what's being built now," Fanning said .

Please design the project correctly Triad

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind...5000.xml&coll=1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this project gets approved. These types of developments will make Huntsville's downtown something the city can be proud of. However, I am also not happy that it will have the same "facade" as the Summit tower. Something like the 301 East design might work well there.

Here are some things I found off the Chamber of Commerce website related to this project.

This is the Summit office building as of a few days ago. The construction going on behind it is the parking garage expansion.

112705_summit.jpg

And the "second option" area is where the building will be located...

112705_downtown.jpg

Here are some things I found off the Chamber of Commerce website related to this project.

This is the Summit office building as of a few days ago. The construction going on behind it is the parking garage expansion.

112705_summit.jpg

And the "second option" area is where the building will be located...

112705_downtown.jpg

Man that building looks better than the computer generated one. I really think they need to go for that second phase. I've been gone from Huntsville for a while, but I visit a lot. This will really make downtown more attractive. We just need a bulding to break 20 stories now. I love my city.

www.myspace.com/slowmotionsoundz

ALABAMA'S #1 PRODUCTION COMPANY

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday, the developers unveiled their plans for the condo tower. Now dubbed "Ovation Condos" it will have up to 52 condos in an 8-story building. There will possibly be restaurants and shops on the bottom floors. Work should begin next summer. I will try to get the rendering asap. Times article: Condo tower planned for Big Spring

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I would expect some kind of announcement before the end of November. This project

has been bungled from the start it appears. Poor public relations/communications. No real idea

what it will be except a boring squatty building. Maybe changes are being made. It could be an

exciting dynamic skyline grabbing structure that would have people lined up to live in it.

Anyone heard anything? Hopefully it will be something to be proud of instead of a clone of the Big Spring Summit building. That building is nice in it's own right so don't drag it down with a look a like condo.

Well I would expect some kind of announcement before the end of November. This project

has been bungled from the start it appears. Poor public relations/communications. No real idea

what it will be except a boring squatty building. Maybe changes are being made. It could be an

exciting dynamic skyline grabbing structure that would have people lined up to live in it.

Anyone heard anything? Hopefully it will be something to be proud of instead of a clone of the Big Spring Summit building. That building is nice in it's own right so don't drag it down with a look a like condo.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems this project may not happen due to Triad's (developer) possible violation of agreement with city.

Some council memebers are looking into this possibility. In any case it has been a screwed up project from the get go. A larger rendering in the paper confirms that it is a hack architectural design, hopefully it won't be built as planned. From promising to have been already under construction now may be a year away from groundbreaking. Better things are coming to downtown than this.

This comment by Councilwoman Sandra Moon in the Huntsville Times article today made me say "Huh?"

"Moon said downtown may be reaching a saturation point with other condos and restaurants that have been announced....

'I just hope we haven't hit a saturation point where it's hard to attract' restaurants, Moon said...."

Ok, someone needs to tell her that 50 condos downtown is not nearing any type of saturation point. Same with a few coffee and bagel shops, some upscale restaurants, and some nightclubs. The city has barely scratched the surface on the potential of downtown, and the "saturation point" will happen far from now.

This comment by Councilwoman Sandra Moon in the Huntsville Times article today made me say "Huh?"

"Moon said downtown may be reaching a saturation point with other condos and restaurants that have been announced....

'I just hope we haven't hit a saturation point where it's hard to attract' restaurants, Moon said...."

Ok, someone needs to tell her that 50 condos downtown is not nearing any type of saturation point. Same with a few coffee and bagel shops, some upscale restaurants, and some nightclubs. The city has barely scratched the surface on the potential of downtown, and the "saturation point" will happen far from now.

Seems this project may not happen due to Triad's (developer) possible violation of agreement with city.

Some council memebers are looking into this possibility. In any case it has been a screwed up project from the get go. A larger rendering in the paper confirms that it is a hack architectural design, hopefully it won't be built as planned. From promising to have been already under construction now may be a year away from groundbreaking. Better things are coming to downtown than this.

What do you find so offensive about the design? I saw the rendering again in the paper this morning, I'm still not with you on it. I like the Summit building. I don't feel the Ovation is groundbreaking architecture, but it is a decent looking building. If there is commercial interest in the shops and offices that will be at water level, I think the city would be foolish not to encourage this project. Shops, restaurants and cafes along the water at Big Spring would really boost downtown. People come downtown all the time to go to Big Spring Park as it is, just think if they could come down and have lunch, shop for clothes, have a coffee... They would stay downtown longer, spend more money and have a reason to come back.

well generally it is a "wall" that blocks off anything to the north, remove the center section, vary the heights of the two now separate buildings, make it distinctive and exciting. As is it is boring, lazy and too similar to the Summit. It's not the project itself but the architectural design, no imagination for a progressive city like Huntsville. Build it to encourage development along Clinton instead of seeing a blank wall and dumpsters.

The city should request 3-5 different concepts.

Well, part of the parking garage was there. But the main opposition to the building was that it would "ruin the park", even though all it did was take out a few bushes (680 sq ft to be exact). But one NIMBY set up a website to educate us on how the Summit's going to "ruin the views of the skyline." Obviously he has never seen a big city, where there are all types of buildings surrounding the parks. Also, note on the website the "before and after" drawings made in Microsoft Paint. :rofl:

And here's my problem with the Ovation development: it looks ok from the Big Spring Park side, but what about from the north? I really don't want to see a concrete wall when I'm looking south towards downtown on 565.

Well, part of the parking garage was there. But the main opposition to the building was that it would "ruin the park", even though all it did was take out a few bushes (680 sq ft to be exact). But one NIMBY set up a website to educate us on how the Summit's going to "ruin the views of the skyline." Obviously he has never seen a big city, where there are all types of buildings surrounding the parks. Also, note on the website the "before and after" drawings made in Microsoft Paint. :rofl:

And here's my problem with the Ovation development: it looks ok from the Big Spring Park side, but what about from the north? I really don't want to see a concrete wall when I'm looking south towards downtown on 565.

you can't ruin the skyline if it sucks anyway. I seriously doubt any of these folks ever go downtown except to visit relatives in the city jail. Since shadows are cast on the parking deck that can't be a problem, the only thing that was removed were some pathetic shrubs which have been replaced by new trees, sidewalks

and lighting. So the ducks have a few less square ft to poop on, big woop. I've never seen a crowd of people

congregating on that tiny spot of grass. These nimrods should be more concerned with the destruction of

habitat throughout the county and half ass designed shopping centers for Another Dollar General store.

Lets' remove a nice stand of oaks and pines and replace it with asphalt and two year old Crepe Myrtles.

Idiots, and yeah Sandra Moon you are included

you can't ruin the skyline if it sucks anyway. I seriously doubt any of these folks ever go downtown except to visit relatives in the city jail. Since shadows are cast on the parking deck that can't be a problem, the only thing that was removed were some pathetic shrubs which have been replaced by new trees, sidewalks

and lighting. So the ducks have a few less square ft to poop on, big woop. I've never seen a crowd of people

congregating on that tiny spot of grass. These nimrods should be more concerned with the destruction of

habitat throughout the county and half ass designed shopping centers for Another Dollar General store.

Lets' remove a nice stand of oaks and pines and replace it with asphalt and two year old Crepe Myrtles.

Idiots, and yeah Sandra Moon you are included

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

Despite the lack of a restaurant, the city council backs Triad's 2nd phase of the Summit/Ovation complex. I think this the right decision overall. Hopefully, Triad is seriously looking for a restaurant to fill their obligation but to me that is not a deal breaker. The investment in downtown is huge with this project and hopefully with further community interest in downtown, restaurants/shops will be found.

what's a bit disturbing, is the total lack of understanding by Councilwoman Moon. She is so concerned about saturation which doesn't exist anywhere in Huntsville unless it is the number of Walmarts.

Also Triad has done an awful job of presenting, promoting and selling this project from the very beginning.

Their lease prices are probably too high.

Archived