Ovation Condo

HSVTiger

I don't know about the commercial real estate, but the $/sqft of the condos seemed high to me. I believe it was in the $200-300/sqft range. It would be nice to see a condo complex built downtown not in the "luxury" range to bring some younger people downtown. However, I do feel the ones overlooking Big Spring Park should be high end being that it is the most desirable real estate in town.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As soon as more developments are announced, condo prices will go down. Right now, with 301 East and the Terry-Hutchins Building, there are less than 50 condos downtown. So as soon as they become less exclusive, downtown condos will become cheaper.

what's a bit disturbing, is the total lack of understanding by Councilwoman Moon. She is so concerned about saturation which doesn't exist anywhere in Huntsville unless it is the number of Walmarts.

From the Times article:

"City Councilwoman Sandra Moon said Thursday a letter of intent won't change her opposition to letting the second phase move forward.

"Where's the beef?" she said.

Moon said she has the same concerns from the day the Summit was first proposed beside Big Spring International Park lagoon. "What's in it for the public?" she asked of the office and condo tower. "

What is in it for the public??? Let me see, maybe tens of millions of dollars of investment in downtown Huntsville. Places to go out, shop, eat downtown so that the public has a reason to come downtown. More desirable office space so that businesses locate downtown instead of in the burbs, providing jobs. I dislike this woman more every article I read about this project. Some people are just scared to death of change, no matter how promising it seems.

Additionally, this other resident, Guy McAllister, says, "It's being sliced and diced and decimated for development. This is our only park. Please, I implore you. Don't keep chipping away at it." Do people not realize that this commercial development is increasing the size of the park? Look at the extension of the canal next to the Embassy Suites and the landscaping and rehab of the creek. None of this would be happening if not for commercial development downtown.

• 1 month later...

Oh boy, the sun really has to do some tricks to cast shadows on the park..

The building sits NORTH of the park. The fine being discussed is in regard to the developer

not living up to the agreement.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

summit.jpg

"Councilman Bill Kling, a critic of the lagoon-side buildings since the beginning, called the $5,000 payment demand peanuts. He suggested a $1 million fine or liquidated damages for $1,000 per day in violation.

"I think it's unconscionable for the city to reward him by letting him go ahead with the second phase with the hope he might live up to the agreement," Kling said. "It's a nice building and all. I just wish it was located across the street and not casting shadows on the park."

You should and contact the councilmen in particular (Mr. Kling) and explain to him why his argument is baseless and so uninformed. This is unacceptable for a city as large and progressive as Huntsville to have such an ignoramous on its council ranting about absolutely nothing. This is the type of mess that continuous hold Alabama back because their so many idiots that are politician that have as much common sense as the common housefly.

Public to get say on Big Spring Summit

Council to discuss plans for condos, lack of restaurant Wednesday, January 31, 2007By JOHN PECKTimes Staff Writer [email protected]

The public will have a chance Thursday night to weigh in on a proposed second phase of the Big Spring Summit building downtown.

The City Council has scheduled a work session for 6 p.m. to discuss development plans by Triad Properties of Huntsville for a condominium tower next to its Big Spring Summit overlooking Big Spring International Park.

Councilwoman Sandra Moon asked for the work session after questions were raised about the company's failure to meet a restaurant requirement in the first building. The restaurant was a condition in the development deal for Triad to proceed with the second building without additional council approval.

January is always a slow month in development announcements (at least around here). Hopefully it will pick up soon.

Triad wants to add a third building to the Summit/Ovation project. The 3-story building would go next to the proposed Ovation, and would have loft apartments. Huntsville Times article (the article mainly talks about the continued debate over the continuation of the project)

Meeting tonight, it will probably pass, but it shouldn't. Not because of the points mentioned in the article but because

Huntsville deserves better than this boring look alike building. And it's not "IN" the park, but adjacent to the park. It would sit on top of an existing

parking garage which could be mistaken for a bomb shelter.

Triad may really want out, because they have painted themselves in a corner with a project that is architecturally boring, too expensive to market,

and negative public opinion.

By JOHN PECK

Times Staff Writer [email protected]

With two members for, two against, Russell is key vote

The fate of a proposed eight-story condominium tower in Big Spring International Park could be decided tonight.

The development plan by Triad Properties is on tonight's City Council agenda. The meeting starts at 6 p.m.

Meeting tonight, it will probably pass, but it shouldn't. Not because of the points mentioned in the article but because

Huntsville deserves better than this boring look alike building. And it's not "IN" the park, but adjacent to the park. It would sit on top of an existing

parking garage which could be mistaken for a bomb shelter.

Triad may really want out, because they have painted themselves in a corner with a project that is architecturally boring, too expensive to market,

and negative public opinion.

By JOHN PECK

Times Staff Writer [email protected]

With two members for, two against, Russell is key vote

The fate of a proposed eight-story condominium tower in Big Spring International Park could be decided tonight.

The development plan by Triad Properties is on tonight's City Council agenda. The meeting starts at 6 p.m.

Personally, I think it is a great announcement. If this was shot down by the city council, what would be the chance of attracting more development downtown in the near future? Why would a developer want to come to Huntsville if they have to battle a close-minded city council and a public that frets over a looming, shadow casting 8 story building downtown.

I'm glad it passed, especially considering some of the complaints people had against it were stupid, like the shadows, the loss of their "precious parkland", "too many condos" downtown, etc. Now I do agree something needs to be done about the design of the building, especially looking from the north. From what I can tell, it will look like a painted concrete slab. And the developers should be forced to find a restaurant for the Summit building before they proceed on the Ovation. That might have been part of the resolution passed last night, I don't remember.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ate lunch at the park this past weekend and was noticing how much frontage that parking deck still has along the park. If this project were done correctly, it could really boost the downtown area.

I would love to see a two level commercial area with condos above that. The lower level shops would have limited outdoor seating perfect for family friendly stuff (ice cream and gift shops), but the 2nd tier would have plenty of room for patio/balcony areas for bars/resturants. That could give it a slight "river-walk" feel to it while keeping the park "family friendly". I think a sports bar/wings/joe's crab shack would do well closest to the VBC and a Rosies overlooking the park would be packed year round as well.

Something strong needs to be put in here to be a "middle ground" between the VBC and the Washington Square area. Something for the people at conventions and sporting events to eat dinner at, and then decide if they want to walk back to thier room/go home or walk further into downtown and party the rest of the night. Maybe it is just that I am lazy but I doubt that I would walk all the way to Washington Square from the Embassy Suites if I was attending a convention here.

I ate lunch at the park this past weekend and was noticing how much frontage that parking deck still has along the park. If this project were done correctly, it could really boost the downtown area.

I would love to see a two level commercial area with condos above that. The lower level shops would have limited outdoor seating perfect for family friendly stuff (ice cream and gift shops), but the 2nd tier would have plenty of room for patio/balcony areas for bars/resturants. That could give it a slight "river-walk" feel to it while keeping the park "family friendly". I think a sports bar/wings/joe's crab shack would do well closest to the VBC and a Rosies overlooking the park would be packed year round as well.

Something strong needs to be put in here to be a "middle ground" between the VBC and the Washington Square area. Something for the people at conventions and sporting events to eat dinner at, and then decide if they want to walk back to thier room/go home or walk further into downtown and party the rest of the night. Maybe it is just that I am lazy but I doubt that I would walk all the way to Washington Square from the Embassy Suites if I was attending a convention here.

Every time we're in the park I explain what you described almost verbatim to my wife as my "vision" for the park. She rolls her eyes and listens, then makes fun of me because it is the 100th time she's heard it. I think most people here would love an atmosphere like that. It would also make a fairly continuous entertainment district from Constellation, the VBC, Ovation, Art Museum, Courthouse Square to Washington Square.

• 1 month later...

keep an eye on this as Triad will probably try to squirm out some sort of deal .

Who are they showing this thing to? Has anybody seen any details other than a non descript rendering?

This project is less appealing than any of the others which also gives it little chance of working.

With other condo project coming online and in the planning stage , this project has little chance of happening.

They have supposedly been working on it for 3 years so it should be very well planned ..or not planned at all.

from the Huntsville Times back in July 2007

The proposed Ovation Condominiums with as many as 40 units next to the Big Spring Summit office tower in Big Spring Park. William Stroud with Triad Properties said Friday that the firm is still analyzing several development models before deciding how many condos to offer and at what price.

Stroud, principal with Triad Properties, which has the option to build Ovation Condominiums overlooking Big Spring, said land prices make it difficult to offer any downtown condo for less than $250,000.

Stroud has until January to begin construction on the condo tower beside the Big Spring Summit office building or risk losing the option at that site. Nothing has happened on the second phase since the project was announced in December 2005.

Stroud continues to scout for prospects to meet a requirement for a restaurant in the Summit before building the condo/retail/office building. Stroud said Triad has three floor configurations for the condo building and is looking for a pricing model that will meet its construction budget.

Asked how confident he is the condo tower will be built, he said, "We're progressing as if it is going to happen."

keep an eye on this as Triad will probably try to squirm out some sort of deal .

Who are they showing this thing to? Has anybody seen any details other than a non descript rendering?

This project is less appealing than any of the others which also gives it little chance of working.

With other condo project coming online and in the planning stage , this project has little chance of happening.

They have supposedly been working on it for 3 years so it should be very well planned ..or not planned at all.

from the Huntsville Times back in July 2007

The proposed Ovation Condominiums with as many as 40 units next to the Big Spring Summit office tower in Big Spring Park. William Stroud with Triad Properties said Friday that the firm is still analyzing several development models before deciding how many condos to offer and at what price.

Stroud, principal with Triad Properties, which has the option to build Ovation Condominiums overlooking Big Spring, said land prices make it difficult to offer any downtown condo for less than $250,000.

Stroud has until January to begin construction on the condo tower beside the Big Spring Summit office building or risk losing the option at that site. Nothing has happened on the second phase since the project was announced in December 2005.

Stroud continues to scout for prospects to meet a requirement for a restaurant in the Summit before building the condo/retail/office building. Stroud said Triad has three floor configurations for the condo building and is looking for a pricing model that will meet its construction budget.

Asked how confident he is the condo tower will be built, he said, "We're progressing as if it is going to happen."

• 4 weeks later...

The Mayors state of the city address had some hints

"In a question and answer session, Spencer told the crowd to expect an announcement soon on a new downtown restaurant and movement on a new parking garage at Holmes Avenue and Green Street. She revealed a dog park is in the works near the skateboard park below Interstate 565 downtown."

HSV Times

The restaurant will probably be the Summit location which has to happen before January if this thing will happen.

Announced or open I'm not sure, one thing for sure is Triad has twisted and stretched this deal evry which way possible.

The spin machine is getting ready to start.

Archived