Nashville Mystery

blokey

Well this is all going to be very vague because I have minimal details, but anyway here goes. So over the Thanksgiving Break I was visiting family in Atlanta. We ate at my uncle's house in Buckhead, and he also had over a couple that is good friends with my aunt and uncle. Anyway when asking what he did for a living, he replied that he is in the realestate business. Knowing I was from Nashville he told me that he owns the company that did Fountain Square. He told me that he lost about $22 million on that project, but it shows that whatever company it is, it is a big one. After having told me this, he went on to say that they are building a new apartment building in downtown Nashville to be 30-35 floors on 2nd Ave!!! He said that it has not been announced yet but will be when all is finalized! So I was wondering if anyone has any string they can pull to find out the validity of this new building. I'll be angry if he just got my hopes up for nothing!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there is a parking lot that would be big enough for such a building on 2nd Avenue. It is right across from the Beer Sellar and in plain view from the Coliseum. I haven't heard of anything, but theat means absolutely nothing. I am not Dave, so the inside is out with me. LOL!!!!

Dave, you heard anything my man???

Unless it is on another location off of 2nd Avenue, I'd presume the lot that such a project would be located (as the rest of us seem to believe), the empty parking lot bounded between 2nd, Church & Bank Streets. However, a high-rise had been proposed for that lot in the late '80s and was shot down for a number of reasons (nevermind the real estate bust), although the most popular reason was that such a structure on that lot would be dramatically out-of-step with the rest of the street. I'd be highly surprised if that proposal were resurrected, as that aforementioned reason for denying its construction would still hold true. Now, if it's for below Broadway, then that's a whole other ball of wax.

Wow, this is a very interesting piece of information. If that is the location (I hope it is because I've always been bothered by that parking lot), the tower would look even taller considering the hill. Thirty floors might be about right for that location. Anything taller and it would look out of place. Let me ask this question since I brought it up. I've always felt that something ten to twenty would fit right for the location. Does anyone else feel that thirty might be too tall for the location? I'm not complaining, just asking a question. It is exciting news, and hope to see it happen!

Let me ask this question since I brought it up. I've always felt that something ten to twenty would fit right for the location. Does anyone else feel that thirty might be too tall for the location? I'm not complaining, just asking a question. It is exciting news, and hope to see it happen!

It's a very valid question. I love 'em tall, but given the rest of the street from Union to Broadway, 30 stories on the lot in question would be ludicrous. 10 stories, though hardly very tall, might even be "too much." If it is to be built, it ought to be something in a neo-Victorian style to compliment its neighbors. Anything modernist would be grotesquely out-of-place.

Build it tall. This is downtown, not a suburb. We keep talking about "critical mass" and "pedestrian traffic" so we're going to need a place to house it all. Many cities are able to blend old, short buildings with newer, taller buildings. I can see walking up 2nd Avenue and looking up to an awesome tower. The Bellsouth Tower might as well be on 2nd because of its dominance of the area. I will agree that a Novare-esque style building would look a little funny there. In this case I think a cleaner design would be best (Think Millenium Hilton in NYC across from Ground Zero) http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.j...ctyhocn=NYCMLHH

Don't forget about the big lot between 2nd and 3rd at the base of the SHelby street bridge. That is where there is a large Central parking lot is located. They have been looking to develop that property for a while and it would be diaganal from the Encore and right next to the Symphony Hall.

However if it goes there then two of the four sides of the Hall will be blocked. That is such a great building and I hate to see it overshadowed by several 20 story buildings.

Hey has anyone thought to go to the Signature Tower websight and ask Tony G.? I know that this is not his project or at least I think it's not but anyways, he seems to know about so much developement going on in Nashville. Like I have said in the past you can actually go to the websight and when you contact the sight Tony G. actually answers back. I would be nice to see some highrise developement in the area. I know that it may seem a little out of place but perhaps it could spur other developement. Maybe he would also have some updates about Signature Tower.

A few months back, there were Zoning Hearing signs on the large lot at the base of the bridge at 2nd and Demonbreun. It was to change zoning from whatever it was to MU-somthing, Mixed Use. There has been talk of a large project there for a while now. I know no details, but I'm guessing this is the parcel under discussion.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Symphony Hall adjacent to that. That's the side where they're building a wall and the loading docks. The visibility of the building is well documented and with the large public setbacks, it'll be no problem as long as anything built nearby doesn't insult the hall in anyway. I believe we're good on this.

I checked Southern Lands web site yesterday for a hint of a development there, and there was nothing I could find. I will keep my eyes open and snoop around. William and Doorman have friends around town who may be informed about this.. HINT HINT!! I didn't metion it to the Doorman yesterday, but I will.

What we really need in this forum is an insider in the city planning dept., a realestate insider, and someone from the construction and architectural industry. We could really be on top of the rumor mill then.

Does anyone remember a 21 Story project that was proposed for the parking lot adjacent to the Beer Cellar about 10 or 15 years ago? If my memory serves me, that project was rejected because it was so out of character with the other structures on 2nd Avenue...in other words, too tall. Maybe people would look at a high rise there differently today. My guess is that if this is a real development proposal, that it would be down closer to Demonbreum. Anyway, if it is real all I can say is WOW! Things are happening so fast that it's almost unbelievable!

OMG... I do remember that. It was proposed during my freshman year at Vandy (1988). I believe the opposition to it stemmed more from its design than its height. It was an all glass structure that had a huge atrium on the top. It also didn't have a tenant lined up either.

Does anyone remember a 21 Story project that was proposed for the parking lot adjacent to the Beer Cellar about 10 or 15 years ago? If my memory serves me, that project was rejected because it was so out of character with the other structures on 2nd Avenue...in other words, too tall. Maybe people would look at a high rise there differently today.

I believe that's what I was referencing. It didn't help matters that the proposal came after the real estate bust was in full swing. Unless they're proposing a classic design, the initial arguments against it (aside from the bust) would still hold true. I wonder if anyone has a rendering of the original project ? I don't believe I ever saw it.

I might have a little more insight into this. There is a 3 stroy building ont he SW corner of 2nd and Demonbreun that has a fence all the way around the building and looks as if itis going to be demolished. Just was it this morning. Yhis may be the sight of the mytery building. there is a parking lot right next to it as well, so there is a lot of room here.

Smeagol

I will try to take a look but there is a three story building on the Southeast corner of 2nd and Demonbreun that announced this fall they would start renovations to convert to office space. This may be the building in question but I think they will keep it at three levels.

Edit

Just saw where you mentioned SW and not SE corner if that is the case I am not sure of it's status.

I posted very quickly this morning and had to go. realized afterward I posted SW and meant the SE corner. I got up at 3 am this morning and had been working. I was hardly even awake as you can tell by the post. I posted at a downtown hotel so I wouldnt forget to post it.

I must have missed the article about that building.

The lot across from the beer seller was to ba a glass tower and MDHA rejected it because of the design. It was to be 15 stories. The rumor mill is that the lot will eventually be 3 to 5 story loft condos with the same architecture as Washington Square. The same is true on the two empty lots on third and Church. In regards to this tower, a height variance will have to be allowed and a tower of that size is reaching the 80 to 100 million dollar mark. I would have to see something offical on this to believe it.

Archived