CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Hubbell Lighting headquarters

gs3

Wow! That's going up fast!

As my 5 year old nephew calls his Nikes....."Super Fast"!

The steel going up at the moment is just for a small center core of the building. If you look at the renderings of this building, it will stretch out along 85 from both sides of this core. I think as a corporate headquarters, this will be more impressive than Michelin, even. And Michelin from 85 makes a really nice corporate headquarters statement.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! It is definitely making a super impact! The view from the Old Sulphur Springs Road Bridge is incredible...I had a car behind me, so I couldn't stop and get out to capture it, but it's definitely something that inspires a little awe as you cross the bridge and see that structure going up. I can't wait to see this park completed in a few years. :lol:

As my 5 year old nephew calls his Nikes....."Super Fast"!

The steel going up at the moment is just for a small center core of the building. If you look at the renderings of this building, it will stretch out along 85 from both sides of this core. I think as a corporate headquarters, this will be more impressive than Michelin, even. And Michelin from 85 makes a really nice corporate headquarters statement.

Everytime I pass the Michelin HQ building, I lament the fact that it wasn't built downtown.

Granted, it would be nice if some of these offices and HQ's were to locate downtown; however, the CBD is so far removed from I-85 that there'd not be any physical presence to passers-through. I have to say that I'm happy to see these big names along I-85. They at least entice people into perhaps wanting to get off of I-85 and look around a little more.

And, as Skyliner said, we now have Thornblade CC (and they're even on their 2nd clubhouse) :P ... although, I think Cliffs Communities has abandoned their plans for that development off of Garlington and Pelham.

This new one is HUGE! Also, Big names live there, including Jay Haas in the Enclaves.

One of the main reasons I think this location is right, is because travelers through Greenville on I-85 have seen its major presence here and now it can be combined with BMW to make the Upstate stand out more prominent than it had in the past. In the immediate decades to come we'll be able to combine several additional headquarters to the Upstate's travel scene. :shades:

Back to the Hubbell Lighting HQ. I noticed that there is a TON of parking around that building. Is it really all just for Hubbell or are there going to be other buildings in the immediate vacinity that will share the parking? I suppose I should look at the master plan from the http://www.millenniumcampus.com/ web site. :unsure:

OK...so much for that idea. :rolleyes:

Back to the Hubbell Lighting HQ. I noticed that there is a TON of parking around that building. Is it really all just for Hubbell or are there going to be other buildings in the immediate vacinity that will share the parking? I suppose I should look at the master plan from the http://www.millenniumcampus.com/ web site. :unsure:

OK...so much for that idea. :rolleyes:

The parking is for the 500+ employees planned for the facility and the guests for the training center.

Oh well, I just thought it would have been nice to see a nice Michelin HQ tower downtown, possibly a new tallest in SC. As I've mentioned before in an older thread, it's nice to have travelers that are passing through know that Greenville has some economic clout (or any of our other major cities, since no interstates cut through downtown in SC), but I'd rather see these developments contribute to the urban fabric of the city center.

But back to Hubbell. Just to let you guys know that you aren't being "silly boosters," when coming back from Atlanta this evening and passing through Greenville, at one point I thought I had already passed it (because it was dark and raining). But as I went on a little further, it appeared, and I noticed that it sits on a hill; it really does have a presence on the interstate. It seems to be more prominent coming through on I-85 northbound than vice versa.

Oh well, I just thought it would have been nice to see a nice Michelin HQ tower downtown, possibly a new tallest in SC. As I've mentioned before in an older thread, it's nice to have travelers that are passing through know that Greenville has some economic clout (or any of our other major cities, since no interstates cut through downtown in SC), but I'd rather see these developments contribute to the urban fabric of the city center.

But back to Hubbell. Just to let you guys know that you aren't being "silly boosters," when coming back from Atlanta this evening and passing through Greenville, at one point I thought I had already passed it (because it was dark and raining). But as I went on a little further, it appeared, and I noticed that it sits on a hill; it really does have a presence on the interstate. It seems to be more prominent coming through on I-85 northbound than vice versa.

I agree that it would be wonderful to have Michelin downtown. A tower that would be on postcards and a trademark of the city. yea that'd be nice. Also, with Greenville's downtown's "European" feel, in addition to Greenville's huge international investment, it'd be nice to have a lot of business men and women walking about to and from their place of work speaking a European language. It could speak volumes to visitors.

But then again, I also see the advantage of a suburban office for Michelin. Hopefully as more companies locate their headquarters here they'll do so downtown. I think it was a good step for the area for Michelin to locate where it did, but now I think that niche has been filled more so and therefore we can look forward to downtown's turn. Hopefully, the California company that is looking hard at Greenville will decide to move and build its own tower downtown. :)

Yeah, do tell, GvilleSC! And if you can't, have we all probably heard of this company before? Is it a recognizable name?

As for Michelin's headquarters, I am glad they are where they are. In addition being prominent on I-85, they totally changed Pelham by locating there. Besides, what if they had located downtown and instead of building a 25-story tower they build a huge six-story building that had too large of a footprint? That could've happened, if you think about when Michelin moved to Greenville and how downtown at that time was not nearly what it is now.

And hey, what's to say that Michelin and/or BMW couldn't keep their current locations and still be involved with new towers downtown? They don't have to occupy the whole building to have their name on a tower, after all.

Which company would that be?

Yeah, do tell, GvilleSC! And if you can't, have we all probably heard of this company before? Is it a recognizable name?

I could be wrong, but I think GvilleSC is referring to the article that was published recently which said that this (unidentified) company would relocate to Greenville ONLY if its employees were willing to move here and the same article mentioned that Greenville officials were going to California to give employees a presentation on why they should move to Greenville. I found it odd that some of the employees weren't coming here to visit, too.

Archived