CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Hubbell Lighting headquarters

gs3

I could be wrong, but I think GvilleSC is referring to the article that was published recently which said that this (unidentified) company would relocate to Greenville ONLY if its employees were willing to move here and the same article mentioned that Greenville officials were going to California to give employees a presentation on why they should move to Greenville. I found it odd that some of the employees weren't coming here to visit, too.

You got it. :thumbsup:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article didn't specify a number, but it said it would be a "major" addition to Greenville's business community if they decided to relocate here. :thumbsup:

I guess the biggest concern I have would be if the majority of the company's employees relocated here, how much good would that do the community in terms of supplying jobs? I mean it's great for a city to expand its business portfolio, but we need as many jobs as possible to go to those who are already residents of the area. I don't mean to "rain on the parade" or anything, but that's a concern I have, especially living in York County where many companies that have relocated from Charlotte to York and Lancaster counties employ a great deal of Mecklenburg residents.

I guess the biggest concern I have would be if the majority of the company's employees relocated here, how much good would that do the community in terms of supplying jobs? I mean it's great for a city to expand its business portfolio, but we need as many jobs as possible to go to those who are already residents of the area. I don't mean to "rain on the parade" or anything, but that's a concern I have, especially living in York County where many companies that have relocated from Charlotte to York and Lancaster counties employ a great deal of Mecklenburg residents.

That's a valid concern, krazeeboi. I considered that as well when I first read the article. My hope is this: if they relocate to Greenville, it's with the hope (as most companies have) of expanding. They'll bring as many of their current employees with them as they can and then continue to hire from the local work force as they expand their business (whatever that may be).

Another concern I have is, depending on how many employees they'd bring with them, what it will do to the median home price. I've learned from speaking to colleagues in Colorado that the influx of people relocating to Boulder, Denver, and Colorado Springs from California resulted in a steep increase in home prices because the transplanted Californians thought nothing of paying $350K for a $250K home because it was still far less than the $500-$600K they had been paying in California. This is an example and an exaggeration perhaps, but it's still another valid concern.

I suppose only time will tell who this company is and how many people they'd be bringing with them. :unsure:

I totally agree with GvilleSC and RestedTraveler on this. Ideally, new jobs would be filled by local residents. But if that isn't an option, I would certainly prefer to have a new company relocate to Greenville than to not have the new presence at all. And besides, having people from a different area with new ideas and different perspectives is never a bad thing.

Never turn down an opportunity to grow positively. With Greenville's very strong job growth rate and low unemployment rate, it will all work out for the best in the end. Bring new intelligence and perspective into our city and we may even learn a thing or two that will help us grow stronger. Greenville is always in the business of making newcomers feel like long-time family. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, at one point driving down 85 it appears that you are heading straight for the HL Headquarters... Harper has another building going up behind this property on the Millinium Campus that can be seen from the right side now. Although I don't remember what this one was called (something strange) - they are definately making a great visual impact along this corridor.

Archived