Richmond in Pictures II

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has when compared to some cities, though it should have done a better job in the past.... Church Hill is a great neighborhood that is experiencing gentrification. It's pretty evident that it was shown a lot of neglect in years passed. You could very well find a beautifully restored $400k home sitting next to a run down condemned slum. Some parts are absolutely fantastic... others are, well, they could use some fixin' up. It's seen steady gentrification though for several years now, and this trend will only continue.

Church Hill will always be an important Richmond neighborhood.... St. John's Church (home of Patrick Henry's "liberty or death" speech) sits in Church Hill....

btw..Buddy Gadams is doing a great condo conversion of the former Nolde Bakery in Church Hill.

Here we go - Numbered pics only:

1. Ironfronts and post Civil War buildings stretch on Main from near 10th street all the way to 14th street (except for Bank of America at 12th). Does everyone know that almost all of these buildings have, or soon will have, apartments and or condos above street level? It's this kind of reclamation that is pushing Richmond's population above the 201,000 mark.

2. This great old building with the scaffoldings is just west of Bank of America.

3. Nice detail work on ground level of buidling above.

4. View of the Main Street canyon looking west. But no humanity! Not a person in sight. That always depresses me about downtown pictures of Richmond - Fountains are dry, flag poles are mostly naked and there are rarely any people on the streets. But, I do believe Coupe took these pictures on a quiet Sunday.

5. The old First & Merchants National Bank at 9th and Main. It's a handsome structure (one of, if not the first, skyscraper in Richmond). The C&O Railway used to occupy the upper floors.

6. New Fed Court House under construction as seen from 7th and Grace.

7. Another view from 6th and Broad. That's the VAPAF hole in the ground between 6th and 7th in the foreground.

8. Great detail on Berry Burk. Note the 3 small windows on top level center.

9. Miller & Rhoads. Let's hope work really gets underway very soon on conversion to a Hilton Hotel.

10. VAPAF hole at old Thalhimer site on Broad between 6th and 7th in foreground. Beyond are The National, Theatre Row, new State Library, City Hall and VCU Medical which, fortutiously, had its blue trim removed.

11. Marshall street entrance to City Hall. All the scaffolding is gone, so repairs must have been completed.

12. Nice view of City Hall's newly reclad tower.

13. These well-preserved houses are on Marshall near 11th. The one on the right has beautiful wrought iron balconies on the 11th street side. They are owned and maintained by VCU Medical.

14. Part of the busy VCU Medical Campus. This is Marshall street looking east from 11th. The new Gateway Building is background left. It essentially closes off 12th street north from Marshall to Clay street.

15. This is the old Eye Hospital glass-clad building. It will be demolished and the entire block bounded by Broad/10th/Marshall/11th will be the site of a new 8-story Children's Hospital and a large parking garage. Too bad the Hospital will face on Marshall rather than on Broad. It will be directly across Broad from the ornate old City Hall.

16. A VDOT building showing recent bus crash damage. This was built years ago as Richmond Memorial Hospital and is at the corner of Broad and Governor Street (12th street, if it were numbered).

17. The old State Library and Virginia Supreme Court Building. The former is now in new digs on Broad between 8th and 9th and the latter (Supreme Court) is in the former Federal Reserve on 9th street across from Capitol Square. The building pictured is now called The Patrick Henry Building and has been fitted up to house this year's session of The General Assembly while the old Capitol is being restored. It will contain temporary Senate and House Chambers. Parts of a number of films and TV series were shot in this building after the State Library moved and before work began on refitting it as a temporary Capitol. Among them were THE CONTENDER and LINE OF FIRE.

18. VDOT's classically handsome headquarters on Broad across from College street (13th street, if it were numbered).

19. VDOT again. It could easily pass for a D. C. Government building.

20. Monumental Church on Broad between 12th and College streets, was recently restored by Historic Richmond Foundation. Incidentally, it's just east of the old Nursing building that will soon be demolished.

21. Nice contrasts in the view of Broad street looking west from VCU Medical area. One can see the old Memorial Hospital (now part of VDOT); The newly named Patrick Henry Building (temporary State Capitol); Old City Hall; General Assembly Office Building (formerly the Life of Virginia Headquarters); old Murphy's Hotel, and in the distance the former Central National Bank tower now undergoing modernization.

22. New VCU Medical Bed Hospital site on College street north of Marshall. If it's going to look anything like the most recent rendering, it will be a pretty sad looking structure, IMO.

23. Another view of the Bed Hospital construction site. Note the White House of the Confederacy on top of the hill.

24. The Philp Morris Research & Development Center now under construction in the blocks bounded by Jackson/5th/Leigh/7th as seen from 5th and Leigh streets.

25. Remarkable progress on the new P/M site.

26. Midtown Richmond showing high rises along Franklin from Jefferson street west to Laurel street. From right to left, you will see a corner of the Jefferson Hotel; The Berkshire Apts; The Raddison Hotel; Franklin Tower Apts (tho I think it is known now, unfortunately, as Trolley Square West); Monroe Park Apts; the elegant Prestwould condo; VCU's Rhoads Hall; Brandt Hall, and Johnson Hall.

27. This picture is not numbered but shows The Prestwould, Rhoades Hall and Brandt Hall facing Monroe Park on West Franklin street (between Belvidere and Laurel streets).

28. Ethyl Headquarters atop Gambles Hill (foot of 3rd and 4th streets). Somewhere in the foreground of the shot, tho not visible, is the old canal bed. For some unknown reason Ethyl does not want it restored.

29, 30, 31 and 32. If you know how, you can connect these fotos and make a sweeping pano. The new Centennial tower will fit somewhere in Pic. #32 when completed. Any photshop artists watching? LOL

33. These are the new Overlook condos in Oregon Hill. They look like something on a Hollywood back lot, IMO.

34. Good view from the Overlook.

35. This was an old streetcar barn on the north side of Main at about Vine street. It is being rebuilt into residential units.

36. Work progresses on the car barn.

37. Nice view of the James. That's Dominion Power Headquarters at the bottom of the shot. When are they going to build the tower they promised?

That's it, Coupe. Great pictures as usual.

Wrldcoupe4, i really enjoyed viewing all of those pics that you have tooken thus far, i havent had a chance to look at the previous pics that's on the previous page, but that gives me something to look at some other time, i love richmond also even though i only drove through there a couple of times, its a really historic and beautiful place of the mid-atlantic region. Driving through Richmond always give me a similar feeling as driving through DC or Baltimore.

Thanks locos...I appreciate that. Richmond is a great place, unfortunately, I don't think many residents and outsiders alike give it the credit it deserves. Hopefully, as it is reborn, it will gain more respect. If you ever decide to stop in Richmond, let the richmond forumers know... We'd be glad to reccommend a few places to check out!

burt... I took the pics on a cold saturday morning. Stopped in Carytown for lunch and there was a good amount of people there. Until more of these downtown residential projects are complete, Richmond will still look pretty sleepy after work and on weekends. There's certainly a bustle during the workday though...

In regards to #37... I've heard that 10-story tower is on hold indefinitely. I have heard though, that Dominion may move most of their innsbrook operations back downtown at some point in the not so far off future. The Dominion Riverside complex includes their Energy Exchange, Dominion Resources HQ offices, and perhaps other divisions. Much of the Dominion Power operations are carried out in the Dominion tower. There isn't any vacancy in that tower, so as to where the Innsbrook employees will relocate is beyond me...

Joey.. I'll definitely be getting out to take pics while I'm home.

Burt.. unfortunately I didn't go chaperone for my brother. As for why I broke up the pictures, I just felt it was a good point to transistion to a new thread. I did want someone to have to flip through 40 pages of discussion and pictures, that.

Joey.. I'll definitely be getting out to take pics while I'm home.

Burt.. unfortunately I didn't go chaperone for my brother. As for why I broke up the pictures, I just felt it was a good point to transistion to a new thread. I did want someone to have to flip through 40 pages of discussion and pictures, that.

Would you repeat that, please? :rolleyes:

how about any requests from our new mod?

Oh, that would be me I guess :blush: . Well, I don't really have a request persay. I don't know Richmond that well so I will leave that up to you. You always take some great pics and I always look forward to seeing them. :D

Excellent photos!

One thing though; everytime I see a photo of the Monroe Building I can't help but think, "What the hell were they thinking?!?" That is one ugly building and it's currently our stat'e tallest. :cry: I don't have a preference as to what city ends up with tallest building since I know Roanoke will never be in the running I just want it to be a nice looking structure.

how about any requests from our new mod?

Yes, if you can, snap a few of the Triangle Building on Adams/Brook Rd/Marshall/Broad. In my youth it was the Emerick Chevrolet headquarters. There's a report today in the business section, but I'm too ill to talk about it (and it's not a hangover!)

Everybody have a great holiday.

burt... pretty overcast day so I probably won't be taking many pictures. But, I do hope you get better soon! It's been lonely around here with just the crickets :)

monk... I'll agree that Monroe is ..well.. not the most attractive building. but I think it could be made to look better.Hopefully, centennial towers will be the tallest in Virginia or at least the tallest in Richmond.

Archived