Richmond in Pictures II

wrldcoupe4

Comments on Eric's un-numbered pictures:

Berry Burk's exterior looks clean and great. As you can see from the cleared interior, about 31 condo units will be carved out of the space. And parking will be in the basement. It's wonderful to see this building revived. I hope the same happens to the shops between B/B at 6th all the way along Grace Street to 5th. The Millan/Rhoads Hilton is (will be) directly across Grace between 6th and 5th.

Good view from near 6th and Broad, across the VAPAF hole, of the new Fed Court House on Broad between 7th and 8th.

Phillip Morris obviously will not rise curb-side along Leigh Street. It appears to be set back.

The RIC new terminal is going to be first class.

And here are our two handsome wandering photographers - Wrldcoupe4 on the left and Eric (eandslee) on the right.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only problem here is what I fear with RCW and why I haven't posted all of my pics there. Too many pics on one page take forever to load. It's worse here that each post seems to load after each other.

I do realize there are tons of places I haven't gotten yet. I don't know if I should post mine of the same places. I don't particularly like repeating (even though sometimes I think I over do some views).

thanks downtowner :thumbsup:.... I'm always glad to see young people like ourselves interested in helping to make Richmond a better place.

Cadeho.... 15 posts per page over here, so it isn't as bad as RCW. I stuck a LOT of pics on this page because I was leaving to go out of town and wanted to have them up before I left.

I always enjoy seeing your pictures. I guess posting pics that are almost identical would be kind of redundant (though it doesn't really matter at all to me), but I'd like to see pictures you've taken that don't cover what we've seen.... I know you've got a TON of them! :)

I have never been to Richmond (drove through it a few times at night). Anyway, thank you for posting so many pictures! It looks like a very pretty city. Does it have a southern feel to it or has that gone by the wayside, much as it has in Atlanta?

monticello-1827. It's a CITY - probably more Northern than Southern (I hear you rebels screaming, but let's get real!). And it's getting more liberal and northern thinking by the hour, Thank GOD!!!

It's still one of the most attractive cities in the NATION and it will retain that distinction whatever political turns it takes because it has a base of stability and, oddly, regional gentility.

VIVA RICHMOND!!!

I am seriously impressed with Richmond. Wow. I always loved the skyline when I drove up I-95 to DC, but I never realized the density and the incredible architecture and the amazing reuse of historic buildings there.

I'm definately making a weekend trip to Richmond in the near future. Can anyone tell me what the more artsy, progressive, gayish areas are in town?

lol I'm not sure that Richmond really has 'gay' areas persay, and I probably wouldn't be much help there. BUT, the area around VCU and in the Fan is pretty artsy/progressive.

Also, just south of the river in Manchester, there is a wonderful emerging arts scene, surrounding a development known as Plant Zero.

Let us know when you want to make a weekend trip and perhaps we can give you better suggestions! :thumbsup:

I have never been to Richmond (drove through it a few times at night). Anyway, thank you for posting so many pictures! It looks like a very pretty city. Does it have a southern feel to it or has that gone by the wayside, much as it has in Atlanta?

Thanks! IMO, I think Richmond still has a southern feel. A quick drive along Monument Avenue would have you in agreement :).....

Richmond IMO isn't much like Atlanta. Richmond has a big city feel, but it also has a small town feel. The pace of life is slower than in many other cities.

okay.... I headed out to West Creek today to take those pics of the CarMax HQ... here's the pics from CarMax (It's near impossible to get a good shot of the building because it is literally in the middle of a forest. There's maybe 20 ft between the building and the woods. So I did the best I could :) Hope it's okay Sandlapper:

HQ through the woods:

Richmond1-15-2006006.jpg

Parking deck:

Richmond1-15-2006007.jpg

the HQ building

Richmond1-15-2006008.jpg

Richmond1-15-2006009.jpg

Richmond1-15-2006010.jpg

Richmond1-15-2006011.jpg

Richmond1-15-2006012.jpg

Richmond1-15-2006013.jpg

deck again

Richmond1-15-2006014.jpg

and the sign

Richmond1-15-2006015.jpg

And a bonus pic! The first ever CarMax :thumbsup:

Richmond1-15-2006019.jpg

While I was out at West Creek (which btw is a massive 1700 acre corporate campus), I decided to take a few pics of some other HQ's out there....

PFG Food Group HQ (Fortune 500 Company)

Richmond1-15-2006003.jpg

Richmond1-15-2006004.jpg

Virginia Farm Bureau HQ

Richmond1-15-2006005.jpg

I wanted to take a pic or two of the CapitalOne corporate campus out there, but it seemed to be protected like a fortress...

A couple other pics I took

On rt 288:

Richmond1-15-2006001.jpg

Richmond1-15-2006002.jpg

Tom Leonard's Farmer's Market

Richmond1-15-2006018.jpg

I am seriously impressed with Richmond. Wow. I always loved the skyline when I drove up I-95 to DC, but I never realized the density and the incredible architecture and the amazing reuse of historic buildings there.

I'm definately making a weekend trip to Richmond in the near future. Can anyone tell me what the more artsy, progressive, gayish areas are in town?

Richmond has always been a closeted enclave, but there is and has always been a lot of gay activity - probably more gay bars than most Richmonders are aware of. Check out BARCODE and GODFREY'S both on Grace street within blocks of one another in the downtown area. But don't strain your eyes looking for the multi-colored gay banner because you won't find many.

Burt Tom Leonards is out in short pump. I've been to Tom Leonards a few times pretty neat place. Man we need to get some more pictures of short pump theirs alot of neat retail out their Pruitt and Wilton does the majority of it in short pump but its mainly the Pruitt Family that doess the development of Short Pump if i'm not mistaking pruitt developed Short Pump Towne Center. But theirs alot more neat retail out their than just Short Pump Townecenter you have the Promenade Shops and The Shops at Westgate two really neat Shopping Centers.

Well looks like I've been beaten! To take pictures of the heart of the beast I call Short Pump. Never even if it was designated a historical landmark. Now, I'd do the farm if that's left. I love farms.

When I went to apply at the West Creek Cap One, I .. wait.. I didn't have a camera then to take... never mind.

Burt Tom Leonards is out in short pump. I've been to Tom Leonards a few times pretty neat place. Man we need to get some more pictures of short pump theirs alot of neat retail out their Pruitt and Wilton does the majority of it in short pump but its mainly the Pruitt Family that doess the development of Short Pump if i'm not mistaking pruitt developed Short Pump Towne Center. But theirs alot more neat retail out their than just Short Pump Townecenter you have the Promenade Shops and The Shops at Westgate two really neat Shopping Centers.

As far as suburbs go, it is attractive. Forest City developed Short Pump TC, but maybe this pruitt family was involved as well? Tom Leonards is unique, but it wasn't very busy at all...Since I was already at West Creek, I decided to drive a little farther to eat at Five Guys...first time and the burgers are awesome! Since I was already out in Short Pump, I thought I'd check out Tom Leonard's farmer's market (I was curious given my "experience" in the grocery industry :shades: ).

There are a couple farms left out there, and the contrast is simply amazing... seeing a farm across the street from a regional mall! I'm sure the owners can't hold out forever, but it's nice to see.

Burt.. didn't take a pic of the Fed Reserve office out there, because just like Capital One, it had significant security (including unmarked cars at every entrance!)...It looks pretty nice though.

Here's one I found:

9604.jpg

as an aside, the architect for the old Heilig Meyers HQ, the PFG HQ, the Media General HQ downtown, Dominion's riverside energy exchange and trading floor... etc... is baskervill.

Baskervill is also the architect for Centennial Towers. I like most of their designs, so I hope I'll be pleased with centennial as well!

I guess I'll get started over here now. I'm rested now from unleashing over at RCW. I'll start with what people liked from the other day.

RiverSkyline.jpg

01/12/06

I hope it looks ok... and the seams aren't too visible. I wish I had taken one more pic to the right.

Well looks like I've been beaten! To take pictures of the heart of the beast I call Short Pump. Never even if it was designated a historical landmark. Now, I'd do the farm if that's left. I love farms.

When I went to apply at the West Creek Cap One, I .. wait.. I didn't have a camera then to take... never mind.

Hahahahaha, Cadeho. You're weakening in your antipathy for thr burbs, but here's one guy who admires your tenacity, your love of Richmond history, your photography, etc. etc. etc. Keep on trucking! :lol:

Archived