Pictures of Little Rock

Mith242

Well hopefully I can get some more comments now that I'm finished posting pics. Hopefully Skirby doesn't feel like I've stolen his thunder. Please keep us updated wiht your pics Skirby. :D As I said before any info, comments, or questions are welcome. I'd really like to learn more about some of the buildings and areas of the city I took pics of. For that matter I'm open to suggestions for future pics when I go back down again. I'd like to explore the downtown area a little more thouroughly. I'd also like to get some pics around the Quapaw Quarter and also around MacArthur Park. If it's not too hard to get to maybe I could also try looking around Hillcrest and the Heights. I also wouldn't mind suggestions for North Little Rock. Not sure if I would have time for both Little Rock and North Little Rock, but I'd like to visit up there too.

Great shots of LR. I didn't respond before because of computer issues. I had a service plan with Best Buy and it took them 45 days to figure out they could not fix my hardware problems. They had to replace it. Some information about the Gazette Building. Is was used by Clinton as his election headquarters. Also, you have some pictures of a building with URQUHART above it's door. If you would have gone to the next building to the East you would be at the Arkansas Democrat building. This is where the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette offices were. The printing presses are located across the street from the Clinton Library. Also, you have a picture of an Eagle statue with the Acxiom building in the background. I have taken shots of this area and I like the views looking under the highway ramps. I wish they would remove the parking and turn the area under the ramps into public spaces.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great shots of LR. I didn't respond before because of computer issues. I had a service plan with Best Buy and it took them 45 days to figure out they could not fix my hardware problems. They had to replace it. Some information about the Gazette Building. Is was used by Clinton as his election headquarters. Also, you have some pictures of a building with URQUHART above it's door. If you would have gone to the next building to the East you would be at the Arkansas Democrat building. This is where the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette offices were. The printing presses are located across the street from the Clinton Library. Also, you have a picture of an Eagle statue with the Acxiom building in the background. I have taken shots of this area and I like the views looking under the highway ramps. I wish they would remove the parking and turn the area under the ramps into public spaces.

Nice hearing from you Skirby. :D I guess I probably saw the Arkansas Democrat Gazette offices and didn't even notice then if I was that close. Speaking of the ramps I didn't notice if it was the same now but in the Google Earth photo of Little Rock there looks like there's a weird circular parking area in the center of one of the ramps. Any idea why it's there? Just seems like an odd place for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Is that the curvature of the earth, or are those pieces just a little off?

Good panorama :-)

:lol: Yeah I noticed that too. I guess my tripod wasn't sitting on totally flat ground or something. I don't really care for the program that I have to merge photos. But it works well enough for night shots where it's a lot hard to see the seams. Provided of course the pics are a little more level. I'm thinking of making another trip down sometime in February. Can't wait to try out my new camera down in Little Rock. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I'm not going to guarantee anything but I think I'm going to have a little time to stop and take a few pics in Little Rock this weekend. I'll be down around Pine Bluff visiting family. Not sure if I'll be able to get them up to Little Rock while I'm there but I figured I'd try to stop and take a few pics on my way back if I don't stop by anytime this weekend. If anyone has any particular spots they'd like to recommend I'll see what I can do. :D

Well I'm not going to guarantee anything but I think I'm going to have a little time to stop and take a few pics in Little Rock this weekend. I'll be down around Pine Bluff visiting family. Not sure if I'll be able to get them up to Little Rock while I'm there but I figured I'd try to stop and take a few pics on my way back if I don't stop by anytime this weekend. If anyone has any particular spots they'd like to recommend I'll see what I can do. :D

Very cool. I'll be checking back incase you're able to get any photos.

I was planning on making a day trip to Little Rock when I'm up in Hot Springs in 2 weeks, but it's looking like we'll have guests with us from Texarkana, and I doubt they'll want to tag along Little Rock while I goof off. I'm still holding out hope, but I just don't see it happening this year.

Very cool. I'll be checking back incase you're able to get any photos.

I was planning on making a day trip to Little Rock when I'm up in Hot Springs in 2 weeks, but it's looking like we'll have guests with us from Texarkana, and I doubt they'll want to tag along Little Rock while I goof off. I'm still holding out hope, but I just don't see it happening this year.

I'm hoping I get some better weather this time. The other times I stopped by it was cloudy and dark.

If you get the chance you might want to try the Hillcrest area from Stiff Station to St. Mary's. If you have a good telephoto lense then while your are there try to get some pictures of downtown LR from the water works.

Or if you are in NLR and wants some interesting buildings to look at go up to Fort Roots.

If you get the chance you might want to try the Hillcrest area from Stiff Station to St. Mary's. If you have a good telephoto lense then while your are there try to get some pictures of downtown LR from the water works.

Or if you are in NLR and wants some interesting buildings to look at go up to Fort Roots.

Thanks for the info. I'm not real familiar with the area. I do remember Aporkalypse mentioning the Hillcrest area. I can't say I know what the water works. Then again some of this is going to deal with how much time I have as well.

Thanks for the info. I'm not real familiar with the area. I do remember Aporkalypse mentioning the Hillcrest area. I can't say I know what the water works. Then again some of this is going to deal with how much time I have as well.

Hillcrest is to the NW of the state Capitol along Kavanaugh Blvd. The water works is located off of Ozark which intersects with Kavanaugh. At the east end of the water works is an overlook of DT Little Rock. This is Knoop Park which was a WPA project. At one time Hillcrest was part of Puliski Heights, a seperate town from LR. It could not provide fire protection so it merged with LR. Kavanaugh was the street where the old streetcar line ran up to the Heights. The streetcar line was extended into the Heights starting in 1903. There were two stations, one at Stifft's Station and the other at Kavanaugh and Beechwood. Allsopp Park is a larger park in Hillcrest and in it's south ravine are the concrete piers of an old bridge that provided the residents a shortcut to the streetcar line.

Hillcrest is to the NW of the state Capitol along Kavanaugh Blvd. The water works is located off of Ozark which intersects with Kavanaugh. At the east end of the water works is an overlook of DT Little Rock. This is Knoop Park which was a WPA project. At one time Hillcrest was part of Puliski Heights, a seperate town from LR. It could not provide fire protection so it merged with LR. Kavanaugh was the street where the old streetcar line ran up to the Heights. The streetcar line was extended into the Heights starting in 1903. There were two stations, one at Stifft's Station and the other at Kavanaugh and Beechwood. Allsopp Park is a larger park in Hillcrest and in it's south ravine are the concrete piers of an old bridge that provided the residents a shortcut to the streetcar line.

Thanks, I'll take a look on Google Earth and try to learn the layout in case I am able to make it over to that area.

The Heights and Hillcrest are both worth seeing. Take 3rd street West from downtown and it will become West Markham.. At Stifft's Station Kavanaugh will branch off of Markham to the right at a decidedly odd angle. Drive down Kavanaugh as it winds through Hillcrest and it will eventually curve up a hill to the left and you enter the Heights. It will cross Cantrell and curve to the right through the Heights' retail district and when you get to University you can take a left and it will take you back to Cantrell where a left will take you back downtown.

That will give you plenty to see, in fact the best parts of LR outside of downtown are all there.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Some cool pictures of Little Rock I found on encyclopediaofarkansas.com, which is just an awesome website...

Downtown circa 1910, note the Capitol Hotel and across the street the Marion. This was imploded around 1980 and what is now the Peabody was built there...

LR_panorama_f.jpg

Aerial view of Little Rock, 1918

LittleRockAerial_f.jpg

Little Rock Travelers, 1902

ArkTravs_f.jpg

Old Mill, 1931

OldMill_f.jpg

Old Statehouse 1963-4 under Union Occupation

OSH_Union_f.jpg

State Capitol, 1914

StateCapitol_f.jpg

United Confederate Veterans' Parade - 1914

UConfederate2_f.jpg

Some cool pictures of Little Rock I found on encyclopediaofarkansas.com, which is just an awesome website...

Downtown circa 1910, note the Capitol Hotel and across the street the Marion. This was imploded around 1980 and what is now the Peabody was built there...

Aerial view of Little Rock, 1918

Little Rock Travelers, 1902

Old Mill, 1931

Old Statehouse 1963-4 under Union Occupation

State Capitol, 1914

United Confederate Veterans' Parade - 1914

Archived