Pictures of Little Rock

Mith242

Thanks for the comments, although I wouldn't say that they're that good. I wish the weather had been a bit better. Some of my pics didn't turn out so well in part because of the dark cloudy weather that day. But I guess I can't complain too much. At least it didn't rain.

The pictures are excellent, you certainly couldn't help the weather. I'll throw in a few things about some of the buildings.

The city library building with the names of various authors on a frieze at the upper level was one of those old warehouses I was talking about. It was the Fones Warehouse. built in 1895, and was abandoned my entire life with broken windows - it was the epitome of urban decay. It was redone around 2000, I think. The remodeling, really more of a gutting, took years.

I think everyone is waiting for the rebirth of the two railroad bridges you took pictures of. The one nearest the library is the Rock Island Bridge and is no longer used. The other newer one, the Junction Bridge, is functional but no longer needed. My hope is that the bridges will be lit impressively and this will add to the skyline, from everything I've heard this is the plan.

That ampitheatre is the state's second most popular concert venue and in the late spring to early fall hosts a number of concerts, including some impressive tours such as the Warped Tour. There are plans to significantly expand the permanent seating there. I think Fayetteville should pursue something similar, I see no reason it wouldn't work and it is less costly than a permanent arena.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

img49234kn.jpg

This picture shows the new construction that encloses the plaza where art and other wares are sold. I'm not sure if it's complete or not. It was added this year to allow vendors to sell things throughout the colder months and also on days with bad weather.

The city library building with the names of various authors on a frieze at the upper level was one of those old warehouses I was talking about. It was the Fones Warehouse. built in 1895, and was abandoned my entire life with broken windows - it was the epitome of urban decay. It was redone around 2000, I think. The remodeling, really more of a gutting, took years.

Believe it or not, Aporkalypse, the Main Library was completed in 1997. Time has really flown since the rebirth of the River Market area. In fact, the River Market will celebrate its tenth anniversary next year. It opened on July 5, 1996. I don't know if anyone could have seen such progress happening in a decade.

There was an article on KATV a few weeks ago that said Congress had approved $3 million for the Junction to be converted to a pedestrian bridge.

Here's a link to the story

I remember there was going to be some kind of trick to it - it couldn't be a flat walkway as the central part had to stay in the elevated position to allow boats and barges to pass. I think they were considering elevators vs some sort of spiral stairwells.

I hope they do it first class. It seems like a good paint job would use up that money quickly.

What about the Rock Island Bridge? I thought that was supposed to be done before the Clinton Library but it really seems to have stalled.

The pictures are excellent, you certainly couldn't help the weather. I'll throw in a few things about some of the buildings.

I think everyone is waiting for the rebirth of the two railroad bridges you took pictures of. The one nearest the library is the Rock Island Bridge and is no longer used. The other newer one, the Junction Bridge, is functional but no longer needed. My hope is that the bridges will be lit impressively and this will add to the skyline, from everything I've heard this is the plan.

That ampitheatre is the state's second most popular concert venue and in the late spring to early fall hosts a number of concerts, including some impressive tours such as the Warped Tour. There are plans to significantly expand the permanent seating there. I think Fayetteville should pursue something similar, I see no reason it wouldn't work and it is less costly than a permanent arena.

Thanks for the info. I knew the one railroad bridge wasn't used anymore didn't didn't know anything about the other one. Fayetteville has the AMP, but it's just a temporary structure they put up right before each weeekend during the summer time. They just started it this year and I got the impression it did very well. It would be nice to have a more permanent structure. I'd also like to more it away from the mall parking lot and be able to have it somewhere close to the downtown area.

img49234kn.jpg

This picture shows the new construction that encloses the plaza where art and other wares are sold. I'm not sure if it's complete or not. It was added this year to allow vendors to sell things throughout the colder months and also on days with bad weather.

Believe it or not, Aporkalypse, the Main Library was completed in 1997. Time has really flown since the rebirth of the River Market area. In fact, the River Market will celebrate its tenth anniversary next year. It opened on July 5, 1996. I don't know if anyone could have seen such progress happening in a decade.

It's been a long time since I was around here I can't remember what's new and what's not. It's probably been close to ten years since I was around the River Market. I remember it having started up and hearing about it. But at the time there wasn't a huge amount there at the time.

There was an article on KATV a few weeks ago that said Congress had approved $3 million for the Junction to be converted to a pedestrian bridge.

Here's a link to the story

I think Johnny posted some pics of it a long time ago. Hopefully they'll do something and get it going. As I said I think it would be great to be able to walk over to North Little Rock. I don't know what it's like in that area just across the river, but I would think it would be a great boost to that area to be easily connected to an area really booming.

I'll get back to posting a few pics. Here's some pics of the Arkansas Territorial Restoration area. I don't think I saw this area last time I was around walking in Little Rock years ago. It looked very interesting. I read something about it having the Hinderliter Tavern which was built in 1820. I'm not sure if I saw it or not because I didn't see it marked. It was very interesting to see such an old area next to some rather urban areas. I wish I could have stepped further away and take some pics but there was a pretty busy road right there. The last pic is a new structure that I think has been mentioned in another topic. I think it has the museum part. I really wish I had had more time to check things out. Although I don't know if many places were open when I was there anyway.

img49416ov.jpg

img49428bi.jpg

img49443vu.jpg

img49454pe.jpg

img49493vy.jpg

img49525wp.jpg

img49539xi.jpg

img49437dy.jpg

Here's a few more pics as I walk west towards the downtown area. Now for some more urban style pics. The Stephens Building is featured in a number of the shots. Anyone have any info on it, like how many stories it is and such?

img49542dj.jpg

img49573dv.jpg

img49584aa.jpg

img49593ub.jpg

img49609gx.jpg

img49618er.jpg

img49623pu.jpg

img49638xo.jpg

More pics a little later after I get something to eat.

The oldest of those territorial restoration buildings, the Hinderliter Grog Shop, dates to 1820 (it's the only two story structure). The block was all pre-1840. It's worth taking a look inside the buildings as well.

Apparently that area was in significant decay and the buildings were slated to be demolished sometime back in the 1940s or 50s. Fortunately, they have survived and have been refurbished. Having them all on one block like that with space for the main museum structure is really unique, I don't think I've visited another place with quite the same setup.

Here's some more shots around the downtown area. In the first pic I saw the word Gazette so I'm guessing it's where the Arkansas Democrat Gazette offices are located or were since it looked a little empty. In the third pic is the Pyramid Building I believe (maybe not, I think I see the name Pyramid on a different building in a pic I posted later). Seems like I remember it being mentioned before somewhere on the forum. Any info on it? I'm also wondering what the two buildings in the background of the next to last pic are. Names, stories, general info anyone? I'm hoping someone will eventually fill me in on some of what I saw whenever they get the chance.

img49647la.jpg

img49655pq.jpg

img49661mz.jpg

img49678eh.jpg

img49687ax.jpg

img49695fo.jpg

img49704gp.jpg

img49711ua.jpg

About a decade or so ago the Democrat's parent company bought the Gazette and before that Little Rock was like NWA is now, a two newspaper town. The Gazette was the oldest newspaper west of the Mississippi and the place it was originally printed is part of the Territorial Restoration tour. Essentially the Gazette just shut down and everything moved to the Democrat's old offices just south of the Clinton Library in a newer building. The old Gazette building was redone top to bottom a couple of years ago and a couple retail stores went in there but quickly relocated closer to the River Market. There were talks of a major restaurant going in there, I haven't heard anything in the last 6 mos since I moved to Dallas.

A lot of the more run-down areas along Main are kind of sitting in limbo waiting to be reborn. Stephens bought up the whole area, including the old theater, and supposedly a massive project is being planned to redo the whole corridor. There was a nice picture in there of the Boyle building, which is part of the massive condo development that will also redo the Lafayette and the surrounding block. The River Market area is nearly built out so that's the next direction for development to head.

About a decade or so ago the Democrat's parent company bought the Gazette and before that Little Rock was like NWA is now, a two newspaper town. The Gazette was the oldest newspaper west of the Mississippi and the place it was originally printed is part of the Territorial Restoration tour. Essentially the Gazette just shut down and everything moved to the Democrat's old offices just south of the Clinton Library in a newer building. The old Gazette building was redone top to bottom a couple of years ago and a couple retail stores went in there but quickly relocated closer to the River Market. There were talks of a major restaurant going in there, I haven't heard anything in the last 6 mos since I moved to Dallas.

A lot of the more run-down areas along Main are kind of sitting in limbo waiting to be reborn. Stephens bought up the whole area, including the old theater, and supposedly a massive project is being planned to redo the whole corridor. There was a nice picture in there of the Boyle building, which is part of the massive condo development that will also redo the Lafayette and the surrounding block. The River Market area is nearly built out so that's the next direction for development to head.

Cool, thanks for the info. I think I remember a couple of you talking about some of this area before. It's great now I've actually gotten to see it now. Just wished I knew what I was looking at beforehand. Hopefully I'll be much more informed by the time I go back to take some pics again.

The last two pics are of the annex to the Pulaski County courthouse, which dates to 1915. The original courthouse (1887) behind it is the unusual blue granite structure with a clock tower you often see. I just mentioned it because I saw the inside of the courthouse for the first time when I was married a few years ago and it has a gorgeous stained glass dome over the rotundaand is all marble on the inside.

Here's the old courthouse...

298.jpg

Here's the two buildings together...

PCCH_ext.jpg

Here's some pics of and around the Pulaski Courthouse. Is this building still used as the courthouse? I noticed a building behind it that looked attached to it. Perhaps a newer addition where much of today's courthouse activities now lie? This building is one of favorites. I don't know if I had seen it before till GSCullum posted a pic of it. I came across it by accident. Honestly I was mainly just looking around and trying to find some interesting areas to take pics. While I was taking shots around the Stephens Building I saw it peaking out and knew I had to head that direction. I just wish more of my pics had come out better. A number of them are pretty dark.

img49833qs.jpg

img49872zc.jpg

img49880sl.jpg

img49891af.jpg

img49936sk.jpg

img49957ak.jpg

img49976pp.jpg

img49985be.jpg

img49995vw.jpg

img50013el.jpg

img50023gi.jpg

img50030uy.jpg

Awesome pictures. Yeah, it' still being used - the 1st part dated t0 1887 and the second part (the white marble) was added on in 1915 when the old courthouse was too small. Both are still used. Sometime when you get a chance, go inside that courthouse and look around. The marble, statuary, and stained glass dome are beautiful.

The last two pics are of the annex to the Pulaski County courthouse, which dates to 1915. The original courthouse (1887) behind it is the unusual blue granite structure with a clock tower you often see. I just mentioned it because I saw the inside of the courthouse for the first time when I was married a few years ago and it has a gorgeous stained glass dome over the rotundaand is all marble on the inside.

Here's the old courthouse...

298.jpg

Here's the two buildings together...

PCCH_ext.jpg

You beat me to it before I had a chance to post my pics of it. :D Wish I had gotten a chance to go inside. I'll have to keep that in mind for next time. You also already answered some of my questions, thanks for the info.

After getting off course a bit to take pics of the Pulaski County Courthouse I start heading my way back to the tall buildings. I wish I had had more time to walk around and take more pics from different angles. But I had already spent a lot more time than I had intended. It was also getting a bit dark by the time I got back to my car anyway. I actually caught a few small breaks in the clouds in the reflection of the Regions Building. Once again if anyone has any info on any of these buildings feel free to post. I'd like to be able to name each building eventually and also know how tall or how many stories they are.

img50045na.jpg

img50052va.jpg

img50061ek.jpg

img50077kp.jpg

img50085qp.jpg

img50099kw.jpg

img50103cb.jpg

img50112dc.jpg

img50126cl.jpg

img50145og.jpg

img50130wf.jpg

img50163jl.jpg

img50181gq.jpg

Now some pics around the Bank of America Building. You can see the Capitol Building down the street in the first pic. Wish I had had time to go visit it. I also like that view I got through the foliage while I was crossing the street. It in many ways was a great time to explore the area. The whole area was dead with it being Thanksgiving weekend. I could walk out into the street if need be to get the shot I wanted with only an occasional car. Sorry for the somewhat similar shots around the Bank of America Building. I couldn't decide which views I liked best. I liked how the slightly different perspective gives you a rather different look. I was surprised at how much vegetaion I saw around this area.

img50172xf.jpg

img50199rd.jpg

img50200qd.jpg

img50210hq.jpg

img50229bm.jpg

img50232bo.jpg

img50245bl.jpg

img50258tt.jpg

img50267sy.jpg

img50267sy.jpg

img50287hx.jpg

The pics are starting to wind down now. I found the church rather interesting. Makes me think more of Europe than Little Rock. I'm not postive what the last couple of pics are. I think the building might have had something to do with a bus or maybe trolley terminal. I should have spent more time to look around but I was trying to speed things up. I still was wanting to head by the Axciom Building before I made it back to where I parked.

img50461es.jpg

img50480mq.jpg

img50490zt.jpg

img50509qe.jpg

img50510lc.jpg

img50524wb.jpg

img50531ed.jpg

img50551dw.jpg

img50541qs.jpg

img50562wy.jpg

img50579oa.jpg

Here's the last group of pics. A number of pics of and around the Axciom Building and then back to near the River Market. I was having a hard time getting good pics by this time. It was getting so dark I had to keep the shutter open longer to get them bright enough. But I didn't think I was going to be gone so long and didn't feel like dragging along my tripod. So I ended up having to try to hold my camera as still as possible by hand.

img50580pj.jpg

img50592bd.jpg

img50610xa.jpg

img50624yn.jpg

img50635xi.jpg

img50642eq.jpg

img50663wv.jpg

img50761zx.jpg

img50695cb.jpg

img50700du.jpg

img50711ff.jpg

img50734ri.jpg

img50721kn.jpg

img50747dc.jpg

Well hopefully I can get some more comments now that I'm finished posting pics. Hopefully Skirby doesn't feel like I've stolen his thunder. Please keep us updated wiht your pics Skirby. :D As I said before any info, comments, or questions are welcome. I'd really like to learn more about some of the buildings and areas of the city I took pics of. For that matter I'm open to suggestions for future pics when I go back down again. I'd like to explore the downtown area a little more thouroughly. I'd also like to get some pics around the Quapaw Quarter and also around MacArthur Park. If it's not too hard to get to maybe I could also try looking around Hillcrest and the Heights. I also wouldn't mind suggestions for North Little Rock. Not sure if I would have time for both Little Rock and North Little Rock, but I'd like to visit up there too.

Archived