DSCF3162.jpg

DSCF3164.jpg

DSCF3165.jpg

DSCF3168.jpg

DSCF3169.jpg

DSCF3170.jpg

DSCF3171.jpg

DSCF3172.jpg

I wish I had more to share... but weather didn't permit me to take many good pictures...

This is my mom's hometown, she recently moved back, my grandmother still lives here with a number of my aunts and one uncle.

This is also the Home of the Univeristy of Southern Mississippi. :lol:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Hattiesburg and I am pleased to see pictures here of our city. We were hit pretty hard by Katrina but certainly nothing on the scale of what the coast experienced. We are making great progress on getting things cleaned up and commerce restored to normal levels. There has been some discussion about the creation of a regional redevelopment plan but nothing concrete in place yet.

The old high school was heavily damaged but IMO it was not worth renovating pre-Katrina. The building had significant structural issues that have made renovation/rehabilitation options too costly to be justifiable.

We have a serious problem with commercial trucks coming through downtown. It seems to be an ongoing debate that may not be settled for sometime now. Alternate truck routes need to be established to preserve not only our downtown streets but also our buildings. There are times when I can literally feel my building shake when a truck comes through.

nice to see you here on UP jcestes. My grandmother and mother, both live in Hattiesburg and I'm often there when I have a few days off of work/school. I'll be back this month. I grew up thinking Hattiesburg was a small town because we (my siblings and I) were confined to my grandmother's 4th street home. Now with a car, I've been able to get around to see Hattieburg has alot more to offer than many people know. It's a very nice community, and is growing quite rapidly.

^Brett Favre was born about 70 miles south of Hattiesburg, in Kiln,MS, which is outside of Bay Saint Louis. He went to college at Southern Miss in Hattiesburg though.

Actually Brett does currently have a home (estate) in West Hattiesburg in the Oak Grove Community. But you are correct NCB, he grew up in The Kiln.

• 2 months later...

For those who don't remember, Hattiesburg was one of the communities hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina. The city is in the process of rebuilding itself.

Looking at the trees in some of the photos I was wondering if it took a hit from Katrina. When we got hit by Hurricane Bob in 1991 we had a false spring. The storm hit in August and all the leaves came off the trees (mostly killed by salt spray), then they re-leafed and there was fear that they'd be damaged come winter. Luckily we had a late winter so the trees did OK when real spring came.

Did people outside the cities find that you had a lot of bees around after the Hurricane? Up here bees nest in the base of trees, so when trees fell, the hives were destroyed and there were bees all over the place for weeks.

I want that house in the 2nd pic. :)

That is the McLeod House located in downtown Hattiesburg just a block or so away from the county courthouse. The first floor houses a law office with the principle of the firm living in the upper floors. You have good reason to be envious as it is a beautiful home.

For those who don't remember, Hattiesburg was one of the communities hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina. The city is in the process of rebuilding itself.

As I mentioned earlier, Hattiesburg did get hit pretty hard by Katrina, although not nearly to the extent that the coast did. Here are pictures of my own home the day before and the day after Katrina. What a difference 48 hours can make:

111769457_12da56f85e.jpg

111769461_55d17db4dc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As I mentioned earlier, Hattiesburg did get hit pretty hard by Katrina, although not nearly to the extent that the coast did. Here are pictures of my own home the day before and the day after Katrina. What a difference 48 hours can make:

111769457_12da56f85e.jpg

111769461_55d17db4dc.jpg

Have you been able to get you house fixed?

I coming down to work in Miss. for 5 days the first of May.

Archived