Downtown Westin (Memphis)

memphismike

Riverbend Crossing in DeSoto County, Mississippi. There's a thread about it here as well. A very ambitious development.

Ahhh... Any pics? Will there be any sort of urbanized developments (as opposed to the strip malls and subdivisions that predominate)? I heard that's around the area where Elvis's former ranch is being sold... I could see a lot of potential in turning something like that into a spa resort/golf course.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 5000+ acre development is mostly houses, but there will be a commercial/entertaimment core with at least three hotels and a golf course is certain to be a component. No pictures yet. The details of what has been released so far are in the Riverbend Crossing thread.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18005

The 5000+ acre development is mostly houses, but there will be a commercial/entertaimment core with at least three hotels and a golf course is certain to be a component. No pictures yet. The details of what has been released so far are in the Riverbend Crossing thread.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18005

Thanks for the link. I guess what I meant was with the name recognition behind the ranch, that could be leveraged into an Arizona-caliber resort retreat, encompassing golf for dudes, spas for chicks, and other recreation for both, that could draw from around the country. I don't know if the development has that kind of ambition, or if Riverbend does either. It sounds like it could go either way. It could just be run of the mill, except the size is bigger (kind of like what Wolfchase has become); or it could be unique (especially residential-wise, particularly if it's new urbanist), distinguishing Desoto Cty from Germantown, Wolfchase, Collierville.

• 2 weeks later...

I just drove pass the site where the Westin will soon stand and work has already began! There is a big hole, and concrete is being poured somewhere (not in the hole). Work on the adjacent parking garage hasn't started yet though.

On a side note... While driving down Front Street directly across from the Pyramid I noticed that work on the first floor of the 5 story Harbor Lights condos has started also! The building will be extremely close to the Turning Point condo building. I had a discussion with a co-worker the other day about the Turning Point building. He thinks its horrible, but I love how the building doesn't have 90 degree angles. Check out these 2 web pages....

http://www.bluffcitygroup.com/files/tp.asp

http://www.harborlightscondos.com/

Here are a few pics from the website....

53595139.point1.jpg

53595140.point2.jpg

53595143.point4.jpg

53595145.point5.jpg

I just drove pass the site where the Westin will soon stand and work has already began! There is a big hole, and concrete is being poured somewhere (not in the hole). Work on the adjacent parking garage hasn't started yet though.

On a side note... While driving down Front Street directly across from the Pyramid I noticed that work on the first floor of the 5 story Harbor Lights condos has started also! The building will be extremely close to the Turning Point condo building. I had a discussion with a co-worker the other day about the Turning Point building. He thinks its horrible, but I love how the building doesn't have 90 degree angles. Check out these 2 web pages....

Those pics are impressive. I saw that building last summer---and really had my doubts about it. Then again, I only viewed it from the Riverfront trolley line.

But next time I'm down there, I'll certainly give it another look. I'd be interested to know what the rooms like inside.

It's also good to know that there's activity in the North Main area.

EDIT--Let me ask some Memphians about this. Would you feel comfortable living there and, for example, waiting for a streetcar at 10 PM? There's not a whole lot of activity around there since the Pyramid closed--I guess-- and I just wonder about crime.

Those pics are impressive. I saw that building last summer---and really had my doubts about it. Then again, I only viewed it from the Riverfront trolley line.

But next time I'm down there, I'll certainly give it another look. I'd be interested to know what the rooms like inside.

It's also good to know that there's activity in the North Main area.

EDIT--Let me ask some Memphians about this. Would you feel comfortable living there and, for example, waiting for a streetcar at 10 PM? There's not a whole lot of activity around there since the Pyramid closed--I guess-- and I just wonder about crime.

I would feel perfectly comfortable and safe. You still have St. Jude, the bars and restaurants in the Pinch and Uptown. Once something is announced for the Pyramid, you're going to see a lot of development down there. Just think of all those undeveloped, old buildings as well as all of the empty parking lots that could be developed! Plus, the master plan for Uptown calls for it to eventually connect with Harbor Town.

Just like anywhere Downtown, if you get in now I have a feeling it's going to pay off big time in a few years!

I'm a St. Jude employee and you'd actually be surprised as to how much activity goes on in the Pinch/North Main area. The MATA terminal and the new MPD substation are directly across the street from a new strip center that has a gas station, Subway, Kraus Cleaners, a florist, and a karate class underneath apartments! There is also the First Alliance bank on the corner and a number of other planned developments. The Pyramid is always packed with visitors to the Wonders exhibits even though the arena floor isn't used any longer. The Marriott is always bustling and all of the expansion going on at the hospital keeps people and shuttle buses in the area 24/7. The mayor uses downtown stats all the time because by the numbers its the safest area of the city. Many times when I attend Grizzlies games I park at work and catch the trolley so I won't have to pay a million dollars to park and I do feel pretty safe.

I'd be interested to know what the rooms like inside.

BTW, you can get a peek at the rooms on the website. Just click on the "photos" link.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived