Riverfront Development (Nashville)

linclink

Hey guys,

The Nashville City paper has a great article on the redevelopment of the river!

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=46175

I thought the little island was really interesting... we have a very small island off of Deerfield Beach (a little town here), and what the city did was they made it into a park. They got a small ferry type boat (its more like a refurbished tug boat, with a flat bottom, low sides, and a little motor), and they can ferry about 30 people standing from the dock to the island. There they picnic tables, and rangers who teach people about the critters that inhabit the island, and about their eco-system, etc... at $3 per person (including the ferry ride), its a great little thing to do on the weeked with the kids. Theres another island off the coast that a local boat ride company uses. They take you on a tour, and they go to the small island where they keep birds and monkeys. Several different species of flowers and fauna. And a small train for the kids to go around the island on. Of course they also have the obligatory alligator, and the indian who wrestles it... but thats not very nashville.. hehehehehe All this to say, I think it would be alot of fun to do something (other than artwork, as the article highlighted) with the island, they can be alot of fun for kids and families.

I am sure that once Nashville really develops its riverfront its going to be an extremely vibrant, fun part of town. I can't wait to see what they come up with!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I read the article, the little island was interesting to me as well. I am not real sure where it is. I need to take a ride on the General Jackson sometime to get a perspective of the riverbank. The only problem with the island is that it probably gets submerged when the river is up. Riverfront Park goes under as well and they have had to cancel events when the river is really high. I am looking forward to all the development that is about to start down there.

I'm trying to find some studies done on this tiny island, but am having no luck. It wasn't long ago that a story appeared on one of the new channels about it. It does get completely submerged in the spring rains. I would guess that this island will forever be just what it is.

Paula, this island is a little bitty thing.

hehehehe...

Yeah Dave, so is ours (in deerfield beach)... you can walk all around it in about 10 minutes... hehheehe.. but the kids still think its awesome to be on an "Island!!!" AND the fact that you have to go by boat.. hehehehehe it makes for a cool experience...

I googled downtown Nashville to search the river for an island and the only one I could find was a few twists and turns east of downtown. Here's a screen shot I took of it.

island.jpg

It looks to be a decent size. Compared to the size of the houses near it. Some parts of the river I can't really examine to see if there is an island because the pictures aren't detailed enough so for now I'll just assume this is what they are talking about.

I can't tell if this is it or not, but I was thinking the one they were talking about was just above the Jefferson St bridge... it looks to me a lot smaller than this one ("little bitty", like Dave said)... this one looks like it could be pretty good size and an actual destination!

I believe the article suggested having an artist do something interesting and, well, artistic, with it.. whatever exactly that means :)

Archived