USPRO Cycling Championship moves to Greenville

gs3

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Greenville Journal had a blurb about this... It sounds like they are putting together a TOP NOTCH event weekend. Including Sister Hazel among local bands... This should really get the community involved in the big scheme of things. I can't wait to hear figures... people, revenue... etc.

I'm really hoping the City of Greenville pushes this event in other cities around the state. People not only need to be aware of it, but ought to consider participating as well. Since most people living around the state seem to be out of touch with what is happening in the Upstate, this would present the perfect opportunity to enlighten them and strengthen the relationship.

I'm really hoping the City of Greenville pushes this event in other cities around the state. People not only need to be aware of it, but ought to consider participating as well. Since most people living around the state seem to be out of touch with what is happening in the Upstate, this would present the perfect opportunity to enlighten them and strengthen the relationship.

I agree. Maybe Bilo could put it on their plastic bags like they do for the Cooper River Bridge Run. Maybe some billboards in Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Florence, Augusta, heck even Charlotte. This will be a big event and the opportunity is there to make it even larger. :thumbsup:

I agree. Maybe Bilo could put it on their plastic bags like they do for the Cooper River Bridge Run. Maybe some billboards in Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Florence, Augusta, heck even Charlotte. This will be a big event and the opportunity is there to make it even larger. :thumbsup:

Absolutely. The state really needs to back this 200% so that it becomes a permanent annual fixture on the events calendar. The possible benefits can't even be comprehended at this point.

Those courses are just what I was hoping for, a time trial at the Cliffs and a road race that includes dowtown and Paris Mountain. Trust me, this event will be big. I just hope Hincapie can get back to form in time to place in front of the hometown crowd.

I'm curious how the opening football weekend for Clemson and USC, both at home, will affect the coverage for this.

I thought the opening football weekend was the weekend before, I thought this weekend was an away game at FSU? Am I wrong?

This event is exactly what Gville and the upstate needs! We really need to figure out how to keep it here.

2 questions:

What kind of TV coverage can we expect; in other words how many people around the counryt will see this?

If this is expected to draw " hundreds of theousands", where will they all stay? Gville only has not even 10,000 hotel rooms.

This event is exactly what Gville and the upstate needs! We really need to figure out how to keep it here.

2 questions:

What kind of TV coverage can we expect; in other words how many people around the counryt will see this?

If this is expected to draw " hundreds of theousands", where will they all stay? Gville only has not even 10,000 hotel rooms.

As it stands now there will be a one hour coverage of it on CBS and OLN each, for one day I think. I could change though. The people don't have to stay just in Greenville, they can also stay in places like Asheville, Spartanburg, Columbia, Charlotte, Atlanta, and others.

2 questions:

My wondering about how the start of college football season plays into this. Local TV and print sports news will be focused on two cash cows: high school football Friday nights and then the Clemson and Carolina kickoff weekends, with perhaps 20+ thousand Greenville County folks heading to Clemson.

I guess this event might be on the Outdoor Life channel, was it last year?

I'm not sure if it was or not, but for people who haven't seen this graphic for the course plan, here it is: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/assets/gif/BS33862712.GIF

Awesome! Thanks, g-man! They must have just anncounced the course....I've been checking back frequently and the course anncouncement has been pending.

I strongly advise any Clemson football fans here to watch the game at your favorite bar or restaurant downtown instead of going to the stadium. With so many new faces in town, imagine the impact we can have on them, not to mention what you'd miss out on if you weren't in Greenville that day. Remember, it is an off-day from the races, but the City is planning a large festival to coordinate with the main events. I can hardly wait to experience the above-average crowds and the fun! :D

I strongly advise any Clemson football fans here to watch the game at your favorite bar or restaurant downtown instead of going to the stadium. With so many new faces in town, imagine the impact we can have on them, not to mention what you'd miss out on if you weren't in Greenville that day. Remember, it is an off-day from the races, but the City is planning a large festival to coordinate with the main events. I can hardly wait to experience the above-average crowds and the fun! :D

Rather than sit in a local bar on Saturday, dust off the bike, get out and raise money for cancer research, and join in the weekend's action. Ride the Palmetto Peloton Project.

I plan on riding the metric century, and unfortunately, I will be sacrificing the 10th anniversary BMW Homecoming which is also that weekend. :( I'm quite bummed, but I feel this is more important. I hope this doesn't break any rules :unsure: , but if you would like to contribute, and don't want to ride, PM me to make a donation.

Rather than sit in a local bar on Saturday, dust off the bike, get out and raise money for cancer research, and join in the weekend's action. Ride the Palmetto Peloton Project.

I plan on riding the metric century, and unfortunately, I will be sacrificing the 10th anniversary BMW Homecoming which is also that weekend. :( I'm quite bummed, but I feel this is more important. I hope this doesn't break any rules :unsure: , but if you would like to contribute, and don't want to ride, PM me to make a donation.

You are correct. I mentioned that for the many fans of Clemson football who will absolutely NOT miss the game at any cost. Riding to raise money for cancer research is always far better use of time than watching a football game. Thanks for reminding us! :D

As it stands now there will be a one hour coverage of it on CBS and OLN each, for one day I think. I could change though. The people don't have to stay just in Greenville, they can also stay in places like Asheville, Spartanburg, Columbia, Charlotte, Atlanta, and others.

SO not as much TV coverage as was hoping, but maybe it will give us a little exposure :P

That's true about the hotels, but we need to at least keep them in the upstate if possible!

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the schedule of Events for the US Pro race weekend as it stands now. Saturday night should be a good time for everyone.

Friday, Sept 1- USA Cycling Professional Individual Time Trial presented by The Cliffs

Archived