USPRO Cycling Championship moves to Greenville

gs3

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone previously post the official championship weekend website? :)

I just finished reading through this link. Thanks Skyliner! :thumbsup: The link talks about the economic impact of this event, and it's going to be big!! Georgia has a professional cycling event, "Tour de Georgia", and the Georgia governor listed it as one of the top 12 economic developments in Georgia for 2005. :thumbsup: The US Pro is a similar event, but I would think larger....imagine the dollars this is going to generate for Greenville, Upstate, and all of SC!

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool site, JCT! :shades: I see you are quite a big player in the local cycling community. Hope to see Greenville live up to the hype come September! :D

Thanks Skyliner. I am not a big player, but there really are many big players in the local cycling community. I have no doubt that Greenville will impress everyone when this race comes to town in September. I know I can

Thanks Skyliner. I am not a big player, but there really are many big players in the local cycling community. I have no doubt that Greenville will impress everyone when this race comes to town in September. I know I can

Has anyone heard what the predicted numbers of people will be? I looked up some info when this event was in Philadelphia, and the numbers were huge! Will Greenville (Upstate) have enough hotel rooms or will people have to get rooms in Asheville, Columbia, Charlotte, etc? If so, this could be good economic news not only for Greenville but for other cities that receive overflow.

I've not seen any actual predictions, but I had read somewhere (on one of the sites posted above, I think) "Hundreds of Thousands" for the description of how many people this event would bring to town.

I've not seen any actual predictions, but I had read somewhere (on one of the sites posted above, I think) "Hundreds of Thousands" for the description of how many people this event would bring to town.

Can you imagine the revenue if the city charged the "event fee" at parking garages that take precedence over the rate posted (probably free)...? We certainly have the parking facilities :) . I think a shuttle service from Haywood or even Greenville Mall would be great. GTA could probably make some good money...??? And that way, they can take in the city as they ride and not focus on the traffic chaos...

Can you imagine the revenue if the city charged the "event fee" at parking garages that take precedence over the rate posted (probably free)...? We certainly have the parking facilities :) . I think a shuttle service from Haywood or even Greenville Mall would be great. GTA could probably make some good money...??? And that way, they can take in the city as they ride and not focus on the traffic chaos...

Shuttle service?!? What on earth are you talking about? We have more than enough parking downtown, since our downtown is, after all, nothing but parking lots and wide open spaces. And for people that don't arrive early enough to get an actual paved parking space, they can park in the open fields that comprise the periphery of the CBD. You know, next to the barns where the cows roam. MOO!! :silly:

Okay, seriously, I am excited about the USPRO Cycling Championship and think it will bring a great deal of revenue to the city. I would also like to hear an estimate as to how many hotel rooms will be needed.

Archived