USPRO Cycling Championship moves to Greenville

gs3

Shuttle service?!? What on earth are you talking about? We have more than enough parking downtown, since our downtown is, after all, nothing but parking lots and wide open spaces. And for people that don't arrive early enough to get an actual paved parking space, they can park in the open fields that comprise the periphery of the CBD. You know, next to the barns where the cows roam. MOO!! :silly:

For those who don't know (since this will become a large tourist attraction), that was pure sarcasm relating to an earlier discussion in another thread. There isn't an actual cow field anywhere near downtown, and I can't think of any off hand close to the city. There are plenty of horse pastures just outside the city though, plus numerous golf courses scattered everywhere around the area. :D

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Shuttles...

We actually parked in the Richardson Street Garage (FREE) and rode the GTA Shuttle (FREE) to the G-Drive Game last night. It was awesome, but there weren't many taking advantage of the service. It seems to be one of those well-kept secrets, so spread the word! :thumbsup:

The GTA Baseball Shuttles:

Richardson Street Parking Garage Route Stops:

• North Laurens Street Parking Deck
  • Richardson Street Garage
  • River Street Parking Lot

Spring Street Parking Garaage Route Stops:

• Commons Garage / Brown Street Lot
  • South Spring Street Garage
  • Poinsett Plaza Garage
  • River Street Log

I picked up a couple of the new 2006 Downtown Greenville Maps at the Mast General Store today (I grab a couple of these and a couple of the city guides for my guest room every year). I fully expected the US Pro Cycling Championship to be mentioned on there among the events, but there was no mention of it at all. They somehow managed to put the new G-Drive logo on top of the "Greenville Drive Stadium" on the map, but no mention of this huge cycling event coming to Greenville this summer. Ugh. I suppose even the City of Greenville is entitled to one mistake, but this is a big one. Maybe they just assume that anyone who cares already knows about it? :rolleyes:

The Visitor Information Kiosk at the Entrance to Falls Park has them as well.

Mast General Store usually has a few at the front entrance or the counter near the back Piazza Bergamo/Coffee Green entrance.

The new 2006 Downtown Maps are out, but the new 2006 City Guides aren't yet available. They're still handing out the 2005 City Guide. Maybe there will be a mention of the Cycling Championship in the City Guide when it comes out, I hope. :unsure:

Unfortunately George Hincapie crashed yesterday in the Paris-Roubaix and injured his shoulder. He may have a broken collarbone, but the reports are sketchy. He should be flying home today or tomorrow and may need surgery. Hopefully this doesn't put an end to his Tour de France hopes. :(

Ouch! How did I miss this thread? I can just see George now, doing his best impersonation of Sergeant Martin Riggs from "Lethal Weapon" and relocating his own shoulder! :rofl: I'm very happy to see he won't need surgery, too ... and happy to see he'll be back to training for his next race in a week. Great news! :)

• 2 weeks later...

The latest issue of Bicycling magazine (I guess it the May issue) has a story on 5 different pro rider's favorite rides. As you can imagine, George Hincapie's is in Greenville, downtown to Caesar's Head specifically. The article shows a route map and everything. More great exposure for Greenville as a cycling town. I love to see it.

The latest issue of Bicycling magazine (I guess it the May issue) has a story on 5 different pro rider's favorite rides. As you can imagine, George Hincapie's is in Greenville, downtown to Caesar's Head specifically. The article shows a route map and everything. More great exposure for Greenville as a cycling town. I love to see it.

Thanks for tipping us to the article JCT! Read it this weekend. Definitely great exposure! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

In a way, that really is sad. Think of how many people will decide to go to the Clemson football game instead of the bike race on Saturday. Oh well, that's the sacrifice of a growing city and region. I'm sure there will be plenty of people out for the race anyway. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

The dates for the Palmetto Peloton Project, a ride that raises money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation, have been changed to coincide with the big pro race. It will now be the official community ride of the USA Cycling Pro Championships. You can chose to ride the same route as the pros or just do the 6 mile family ride. It should be a great event that adds to the big weekend in Greenville. I can

The dates for the Palmetto Peloton Project, a ride that raises money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation, have been changed to coincide with the big pro race. It will now be the official community ride of the USA Cycling Pro Championships. You can chose to ride the same route as the pros or just do the 6 mile family ride. It should be a great event that adds to the big weekend in Greenville. I can

• 2 weeks later...

The wife, son and me volunteered for Friday. :thumbsup: I am really looking forward to this event but I am surprised at the lack of hype sofar, what's up with that? The Hampton Inn was proud to inform me that they were the host hotel for the event when I stopped by yesterday. :thumbsup:

Archived