USPRO Cycling Championship moves to Greenville

gs3

How much on the radar is this event in the mind of the average Greenvillian? Maybe I'm in a different circle, but I'm not hearing much "buzz" on this.

In regards to sports, I've heard lots of folks talk about the Clemson game Saturday afternoon, the Furman game, high school ball on Friday, etc, but I'm not hearing a lot of buzz on this. I'm not in the cycling community, so I admit to not be in the loop.

I hope this is just a tremendous event, with lots of restaurants and hotels, etc. filled with lots of folks having fun.

Maybe I'm missing something

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2006 USA Cycling Professional Championships

Volunteer Program and Overview

September 1-3, 2006

Event Overview

For the first time in 21 years, the top professional road cyclists from the United States, many of whom are currently racing in the Tour de France, will compete for the coveted Stars and Stripes jersey in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains over Labor Day weekend. The dual championship for road racing and individual time trial will be held in Greenville, S.C., and top Americans expected to compete are George Hincapie (Discovery Channel), Dave Zabriskie (Team CSC) and Levi Leipheimer (Gerolsteiner). In coordination with USA Cycling, Inc., Medalist Sports unveiled today a 131-mile/211 kilometer championship road race course that includes five passes over Paris Mountain. The course of the USA Cycling Professional Road Race Championship, powered by Charter Communications, will challenge over 150 professional male cyclists on Sunday, September 3 in Greenville, S.C. Additionally, this event marks the first time USA Cycling has hosted a national championship for professional cyclists in the individual time trial discipline. An estimated 100 professionals are expected to compete for the USA Cycling Professional Individual Time Trial Championship, presented by The Cliffs, on Friday, September 1. An undulating 19-mile/30.6 kilometer route will begin at the entrance of The Cliffs at Mountain Park, located just north of Greenville. The course will include a portion of the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway near the N. Saluda Reservoir and finish within the breathtaking community of The Cliffs Valley. For more information, please visit www.usacyclingchampionships.com

WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION

Thank you for your participation in the 2006 USA Cycling Pro Championships. Without the help of our Marshals/Volunteers, it would be impossible to run a successful event of this magnitude. Your hard work and enthusiasm during this event will have a tremendous impact on the success of the overall Event.

This Volunteer/Marshal Overview contains guidelines to help you to not only understand your role during the event, but also to enable you to enjoy your experience at this year

There will be a meeting downtown at the Hampton Inn & Suites at Riverplace on Saturday, September 2 (of course) at 3:00PM for all volunteers, especially course marshals. It is definitely not mandatory, however, the more that come, the better, simply from a safety perspective... the volunteers will meet with several of the Medalist Sports staff, a city &/or county officer, and Kimberly Morgan (local volunteer coordinator). I would allow about an hour for this meeting. After the meeting, be ready to celebrate and hang out downtown to enjoy the festivities of the concert and presentation of athletes and teams.

How much on the radar is this event in the mind of the average Greenvillian? Maybe I'm in a different circle, but I'm not hearing much "buzz" on this.

In regards to sports, I've heard lots of folks talk about the Clemson game Saturday afternoon, the Furman game, high school ball on Friday, etc, but I'm not hearing a lot of buzz on this. I'm not in the cycling community, so I admit to not be in the loop.

I hope this is just a tremendous event, with lots of restaurants and hotels, etc. filled with lots of folks having fun.

I think you are missing something because here is yet another news story about the championships: http://www.upstatelink.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../608290308/1123

-Here is a very interesting quote from the article: Will Lance show? First of all, you should know who Lance Armstrong is. (If not: He won the Tour de France seven times in a row.) He won't be competing in this race, but, because he's been to Greenville for cycling events before and because this has to do with his buddy Hincapie, there's a chance he might show. But no one knows. :whistling:

I'm in the same boat. It's a huge event for the city, but I don't hear it being discussed on the street. Yea, I've read the articles and seen the videos, but it makes me wonder too if the citizens really know what's coming... Certainly after this first year's traffic woes that are sure to come, and publicity more people will be excited and aware of the event next year. But maybe it's just me that doesn't see the hype that should exist in a much larger way.

I'm in the same boat. It's a huge event for the city, but I don't hear it being discussed on the street. Yea, I've read the articles and seen the videos, but it makes me wonder too if the citizens really know what's coming... Certainly after this first year's traffic woes that are sure to come, and publicity more people will be excited and aware of the event next year. But maybe it's just me that doesn't see the hype that should exist in a much larger way.

The reason your not hearing much about this event right now is because the press release isn't until this Thursday: http://www.usacyclingchampionships.com/prd...nfaudio827f.pdf

I would like to think that Greenville has enough going on, such that any event isn't on everyone's mind and lips. Do some of you expect to walk down Main Street and hear everyone talking about the race?!?

If you had walked down the streets of Philadelphia this time last year, do you think people would have been talking about the cycling championships non-stop? Of course not. Why not? Because it's not all that there is to do, and people have a ton of interests (some cycling-related, some not).

Archived