Korean software firm to land in Pittsburgh

tooluther

Biz Journal Article

Korean software developer 3Ksoft Co. will put its U.S. headquarters and a research and development center in Pittsburgh.

Founded in 1999, 3Ksoft develops software solutions for e-business and e-government.

By March, the company, which will be called 3Ksoftware LLC in the United States, plans to have a 20-person work force, with 15 jobs in software development, systems integration, sales and marketing.

It will retain its Seoul, Korea, office to focus on its Asian clients.

"Relocating to Pittsburgh is ideal because of the superior, technological expertise that is available throughout the region's business and university communities," said 3Ksoft CEO Young Kun Kim.

Initially, the company's office will be located at Carnegie Mellon University's Collaborative Innovation Center in Oakland. The company did not say where its permanent headquarters will be located.

I don't think I broke any posting rules...Obviously very good news. Would they maybe end up in the new Asian Buisness Center on the South Side that we've talked about before?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^that is excellent news . . . it adds to the area's prestige luring Guru.com's global headquarters from Silicon Valley, being the main east coast center for both Seagate and Ariba as well as a regional center for Sony and Intel, not to mention being the home of the world's third oldest ISP Telerama and the Vivisimo portal (what some experts claim to be greater than Google). The development with the sale of the former FORE group to Ericsson looks promising to make Pittsburgh a major player in their industry.

Great news, though none have yet to hit it as huge as Yahoo! or Microsoft, still very promising, getting that "critical mass" circling!

Oh and on the point of board rules, I would shorten up the quote somewhat. I don't envy being the quote cop but I don't want copyright issues distracting us :)

The Trib has an article about it today.

Success in luring 3ksoftware to Pittsburgh is part of a growing effort to attract Asian-based companies here, said Ronald Maloney, staff member of the Pittsburgh Regional Alliance. Maloney said he has been working with state officials in hopes of landing the company since April 2004.

According to the Regional Alliance, 33 Asian companies already have a presence in the Pittsburgh region, operating 46 facilities and employing abut 5,800 people.

I doubt that they would take space at the proposed Asian business center on the south side. I think that space will be used more as a transition space. If it existed today, I imagine that this company would be heading there until it found a permanent home.

Good point PB,

Also I think the "center" they are alluding to (I might be wrong on this) is the one Pitt runs on Baum Blvd. that has the Global HQ for Vivisimo and Guru.com in it, if so that would be a great tech density going on there.

blue . . . for as much as I think I know about computers you amaze me.

You ever consider getting a job at CERC over by CMU, from what I hear they are the "CSI" of the technology and internet world--something about them being the goto guys for the Department of Defense on protecting national interests in the virtual world.

I have often wondered why old Hollander (producer from Guardian fame) or Bellisarious (sp) (producer from Quantum Leap and JAG fame) didn't showcase CERC and what they do there . . . talk about CSI or "24" or "alias" etc. all the spook stories I hear concerning that place (it had a role in the 1991 and 2003 invasions of Iraq knocking out all internet and computer dependent infrastructure hours before the tanks rolled?) it would make for great TV drama.

Archived