Old Salem Could be Expanding

twincity

Following the devloping trend of south main/marshall streets, Old Salem is looking at rezoning about 6 acres of land for future use. Residential/commercial use are the initial guesses for the rezoning, but nothing is set in stone yet. All that is known right now is that the area is to be zoned for more pedestrian activity and the old coca-cola building could be converted to residential. if correctly planned, this area could really compliment the gateway and maybe help boost Old salem attendance.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645509137

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was some talk a couple of years ago that Old Salem might be expanding its role to include more tourist type activities, and was eyeing this area for expansion. This was at the same time a new director was being hired (recently resigned), but there was no further mention of it. Perhaps it is being revised although indications are for the housing business, but a brewery was mentioned as well. I still say the loss or lack of achieving the large, three-story Barnes & Noble for Gateway was a big blow.

There was some talk a couple of years ago that Old Salem might be expanding its role to include more tourist type activities, and was eyeing this area for expansion. This was at the same time a new director was being hired (recently resigned), but there was no further mention of it. Perhaps it is being revised although indications are for the housing business, but a brewery was mentioned as well. I still say the loss or lack of achieving the large, three-story Barnes & Noble for Gateway was a big blow.

I'm not sure what the story behind the former Old Salem director's exodus was, but they've named Bud Baker (the CEO of Wachovia until they merged with First Union) the interim director.

i didnt know that Barnes and Noble was proposed as 3 stories. i hate that deal fell though. It seems to be needed for the 3 universities.

im hoping they go for residentail over retail just like the rest of WS's dt projects. whatever they decide it would be a big improvement. that area is severely unorganized.

• 2 years later...

Archived