Univ. of Memphis basketball

sleepy

They lost to no. 1 Duke last week in a 3 point nailbiter, but still rose up in the polls from 11 to 9.

Here's hoping they can eventually get out of that loser of a conference--CUSA--particularly since their rivals Louisville and Cincy fled this year to the Big East.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, BCS money did help with the changes to C-USA, but any league that is not an all-sports league with all schools participating in all sports is the problem. As far as the Big East, they will still have to deal with the issue. The Conference is bound to break into two conferences eventually.

As far as the C-USA and its preceeding Conferences, Louisville was the main problem. The Metro Conference would have been a premier all-sports conference in its time, had it not been for Louisville. The Conference had at one time Florida State, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Memphis, Louisville, Cincy, and Tulane. Made for a good conference, except that Louisville was not willing to share revenue form NCAA Basketball even through FSU was willing to share football bowl revenue. You cannot have a conference in which you do not have full revenue sharing and have it work in the long run. Again this is another problem that the Big East still has to deal with.

Louisville was the main cause for the breakup of the Great Midwest, as well Do we need to mention the Missouri Valley? Louisville has been a thorn in everyone's side for a long time. Count your blessings that they are in the Big East giving them problems now. Of course, they were supposed to play Memphis as part of their agreement to leave the C-USA. They have already said that they will not. Of course, it always seems to be in the cards that Memphis and Louisville (I could add Cincy) end up in the same conferences. So given that, Memphis will most likely end up in whatever is the follow up to the football side of the Big East. :sick:

Memphis whipped the Webels 72-49 down in Oxford today. No. 4 Louisville lost to Kentucky, so it looks like Memphis will be ranked no. 4 this week.

UT-Knoxville beat No. 7 Texas in Austin, and is 6-0, and ought to be ranked somewhere fairly high. Memphis and UT-Knoxville play later on this season, which should set up a good, bruising, intrastate game with national implications.

The Tigers moved up yesterday to no. 4 in the polls.

"Bracketology" (or something like that) has them at a no. 1 seed in the Midwest at Minneapolis and going to the Final Four.

Gee, Minny is only 100 miles north--maybe I'll get a ticket!

The Tigers moved up yesterday to no. 4 in the polls.

"Bracketology" (or something like that) has them at a no. 1 seed in the Midwest at Minneapolis and going to the Final Four.

Gee, Minny is only 100 miles north--maybe I'll get a ticket!

Dick Vitale also pronounced Memphis as a Final Four team this year!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Texas game went horribly, but we did take out our frustration nicely against MTSU. I think we'll stay in the top 10. Texas had some issues with Duke and didn't seem to have recovered from the Duke thrashing during that Tennessee game. But they will be back in the Top 10 before long and will likely win the Big 12. They have 2 excellent guards (Paulino and Gibson) and two of the top forwards in the country (Aldridge and Tucker) and Buckman, the center, is pretty good too even though he helped the Tigers more than he hurt them on Monday.

I'm glad this football is finally getting out of the way of a real sport...basketball :whistling:

Well, the Texas game went horribly, but we did take out our frustration nicely against MTSU. I think we'll stay in the top 10. Texas had some issues with Duke and didn't seem to have recovered from the Duke thrashing during that Tennessee game. But they will be back in the Top 10 before long and will likely win the Big 12. They have 2 excellent guards (Paulino and Gibson) and two of the top forwards in the country (Aldridge and Tucker) and Buckman, the center, is pretty good too even though he helped the Tigers more than he hurt them on Monday.

I'm glad this football is finally getting out of the way of a real sport...basketball :whistling:

The UConn loss helps, but Villy beating Louisville hurts.

i went to both those games.... but had to root for purdue. (i go to school there). my positive Boilermaker "chi" was not enough though. :angry:

The Gonzaga game was AMAZING.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Memphis still listed as a projected no. 1 seed, along with Duke, UConn, and Texas.

Memphis' only two losses have been to Duke and Texas.

Memphis has beaten no. 2 seed Gonzaga, no. 3 seed Tennessee, and no. 4 seed UCLA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/powerranking?week=15&pollId=1

Well the thrashings of Southern Miss and Tulane this week should help us move up in the rankings. But since Villanova (#4) beat UConn (#1) this week, we may get leapfrogged. Villanova beat ranked Georgetown this weekend to solidify their success. And UConn beat #11 West Virginia to bounce back this weekend. So, it may be Duke, Nova, UConn, then Memphis at #4. But here's hoping we move up to #2 or at least stay at #3.

Oh, and the latest ESPN Bracketology lists Memphis as the top 2 seed. But Texas lost this weekend bad to OK St., so I feel Memphis will be back as 1 seed.

Wednesday night, the Tigers play the first good team since UAB 7 games ago--UTEP. Good thing that 3 of our final 4 games are against good competition (Houston and UAB being the other 2 with Tulsa being the odd one out). This will prepare us better for the conference tourney and then the NCAA tourney.

• 3 weeks later...

Beat UAB to win the Conference-USA Tournament, which we were supposed to do anyways. But still very exciting times for the team, university, and the city.

Most experts feel Memphis will be a #1 seed, though there is an outside chance that Texas or Ohio St. will take the spot if either win their respective conferences.

Biggest question though is, "Can Memphis win it all?"--I think they can if they keep it together. Here's hoping.

Go Tigers!

I think the odds are we'll be a no. 1 as well. Yesterday was the first time I'd seen them since the championship was on CBS, and they certainly upheld their reputation for athleticism, even though it wasn't a great game. They can certainly wear the other team down. The only downfall in the Dance might be their youth. Can you imagine if this team stayed together for four years?

Btw--FedExForum and the crowd looked great.

Archived