Franklin expecting growth boom around Nissan site

smeagolsfree

A lot of inquiries for land purchaces are already in the works for the area around Nissans new HQ's. Franklin is getting inquiries into land adjacent to the site. This will add to the already tremedous growth there and continue to hurt the downtown area of Nashville. I envision more office buildings going here and a lot more retail growth. But ofcourse we already knew this would happen and can't be too upset. Its better than Nissan going to another State or staying in CA.

Heres the story:

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...ESS01/511290326

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's absolutely no doubt that Nissan will accelerate the already fast growth in the Cool Springs area. Had Nashville aggressively courted and landed this development, a similar acceleration of growth would have happened there. Oh, well. As you said, it still beats Nissan moving to another Metro area.

Wow, the board is active tonight!

It looks very possible that Franklin and Murfreesboro both will have populations over 100,000 by 2020. Clarksville is already beyond that. So in 15 years or so, you'll have at least 3 cities in the vicinity over 100,000 (plus Nash).

It will be interesting to see if there are creative ways to develop the land in between all three (Nash/Frnkln/Mboro). When you think of all that beautiful land, it's downright staggering (and a quite sad) to think how it will be transformed in the next few years. Having seen how poorly ATL has dealt with growth north of the perimeter, I hope TN can learn from our mistakes. I think the jury is still out on New (sub)Urbanism.

I personally see the land going the way of Atlanta between the three cities. The city of Franklin is fine with a deteriorating way of life just like Murfreesboro is. They convince themselves that this IS the way to do it and carry it out. At some point on would hope that common sense prevails, but to many of these people, this IS their common sense. I am not negative on growth, just the type that requires more traffic lights and less pedestrian/smart growth type developments. Those that you find in Franklin adn Murfreesboro make me sick, but there is nothing I can do about it right now. Murfreesboro as well.

My wife and I are looking to move back into Nashville in the near future. I have had all that I can take out here in the 'burbs.

I personally see the land going the way of Atlanta between the three cities. The city of Franklin is fine with a deteriorating way of life just like Murfreesboro is. They convince themselves that this IS the way to do it and carry it out. At some point on would hope that common sense prevails, but to many of these people, this IS their common sense. I am not negative on growth, just the type that requires more traffic lights and less pedestrian/smart growth type developments. Those that you find in Franklin adn Murfreesboro make me sick, but there is nothing I can do about it right now. Murfreesboro as well.

My wife and I are looking to move back into Nashville in the near future. I have had all that I can take out here in the 'burbs.

You and I really do think alike. I bet you like living in Nashville a lot better. I'm really worried where all this surburban development in the ring counties around Nashville is headed. As you said, let's "hope common sense prevails."

^Hank, we actually moved from Antioch to here in Murfreesboro. I loved Antioch cause I was 15 minutes from downtown and close to everything I needed. We may move back there or some place in "Brentioch". Downtown and West End isn't out of the question either.

Also, there is this apartment complex in Nashville called Belle Wood Park in East Nashville. I tell ya, it has the BEST view bar none of Nashville. Shows the entire city from up there. I take a bunch of pics from the knob that it sits on. Some of which are in the 3rd part of my picture threads. That place is a possibility as well.

Franklin is a strange city in my opinion, they don't want to ruin the historic look of downtown, so that rules out any highrises, but they want "smarter" growth. The traffic in that town is horrendous, it shouldn't take 15 minutes to go from Mack Hatcher to Mack Hatcher through a city of 40,000+ at 10 in the morning. I hope they reach a comprimise on the no highrise thing. To bad Nissan didn't go to downtown, but I wouldn't like it anywhere else.

Greed and politics my freinds, thats what it is. I don't think they (ring counties) will learn anything from Atlanta style growth patterns because they all want a bigger tax base and will do almost anything to get it. They will leave the mess to someone else to clean up and it will be too late. I hope I am wrong. The problem is the area leaders just look at their own situation and don't take into account the problems of their neighbors. They say they don't want that kind of growth but it is happening anyway. Everyone want their share of the pie.

^ Thank you for saying that. All the ring counties south of Nashville are just worried about their little corner of this world. They haven't figured out that we, as citizens, have to travel between other places in the metro and outside of their respective county to get stuff done. They refuse to think that regional planning is important and quite honestly, neccessary. I think its up to Nashville, as the core city, to take these other places to task with their growth patterns. Maybe the state of Tennessee itself should step in at some point with something. I don't know, but something has GOT to be done and fast.

When I moved out of Nashville to Chattanooga, I moved from Antioch as well. I think Antioch is great, but I wouldn't want to live any further out than that. People who live farther out in the ring counties will one day, I fear, think the hassle of driving into downtown Nashville so great that they rarely ever do it.

Lexy, I hope you find a really awesome place when you make the move.

I don't think you are ATL. The statement was in the article posted that Franklin's mayor already considers Nashville an afterthought when it comes to amenities for his citizens. Nashville is just a "place to go see the symopphony" to these people. He has essentially denounced the fact that Nashville has in fact been the very reason his city has what it has.

I seriously doubt that if Nashville ceased to exsist, that Franklin on its own could have attracted Nissan here.

HA! Try telling his stuck up arse that! He would laugh at you with a cup of tea in the other hand my friend. I think they have brain washed themselves over there. That is why they are whinning about Tiffany's and Louie Vuitton coming to NASHVILLE not Cool Springs. Hence the recent discussion of a Nordies in Franklin. See how it all comes full circle?

I don't think you are ATL. The statement was in the article posted that Franklin's mayor already considers Nashville an afterthought when it comes to amenities for his citizens. Nashville is just a "place to go see the symopphony" to these people. He has essentially denounced the fact that Nashville has in fact been the very reason his city has what it has.

I seriously doubt that if Nashville ceased to exsist, that Franklin on its own could have attracted Nissan here.

I think that we have already decided that our mayor is a complete idiot and will not be voted for again. Trust me. We don't like him either.

He buys out a golf course, then can't afford to keep it up, so it will just turn into ugly weeds. Funny thing though, is that his house is overlooking the golf course! Whenever he leaves his house in the morning, he gets to see his mistake. Every day.

Also, he buys land for a public park, but the problem with this parcel of land is that in order for people to be able to walk around the "park," there can be no more than ten parking spots.

As you can tell, he is all about preserving land, especially the battlefields. So, as he buys the golf course, which wasn't on the battlefield, he approves a Target and a Kroger right where the Battle of Franklin took place...

He is for preserving the land, but allows the developments on the north and east ends of town to happen the way they do? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Sounds like the man has some issues. Last time I checked, most of the beautiful countryside of Franklin now looks like rooftops. Interesting.

He is for preserving the land, but allows the developments on the north and east ends of town to happen the way they do? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Sounds like the man has some issues. Last time I checked, most of the beautiful countryside of Franklin now looks like rooftops. Interesting.

Let's face it. He's not for preserving the land. He's for a bigger and bigger tax base and for more and more tax revenues. His policies will ultimately ruin the quality of life in Franklin that was originally it's main selling point. Oh, how I remember when Franklin was a sleepy, lovely town of about 7,000.

Archived