West Village

hood

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

West Village is kind of far from the rest of downtown east lansing but it will still be nice since the louis street area is nicely developed, but i feel that east lansing's downtown is too narrow, consisting of just Grand River and its hard for ppl to walk that far down, if Albert gets more developed, it ll add density to the downtown area. Adding affordable apartments on top of the other buildings on Grand River and Albert would add so much more life and help the business on G.river a lot. West Village will be attract more business if there was higher density around it, maybe it'll increase once City Center II is builty, but overall, centralizing downtown east lansing by developing albert more where there are old danky houses and putting stores,office space, and apartments would add so much life and revenue for stores and the city. East Lansing Mayor Sam Singh seems dedicated on making downtown East Lansing larger, more urban, and successful for the city.

There are early plans to build a 4 story mixed use building on one of the downtown side streets, I can't remember which one though. It began as a six floor building but city council shot that down :angry: . I really think that both downtown Lansing and East Lansing are really going to take of over the next five or so years, there are big changes to come.

• 2 weeks later...

There was some news to me. I didn't know they were planning on starting within the next month. I remember reading just a month ago or so that the developer needed more money to relocate utilities.

Plus I hadn't seen the picture of the gray rowhouses:

west_village_rowhouses.jpg

It's sounding like this will be a very high end develeopment, especially the rowhouses. I just hope that they can finally get started on this thing, it was set for completion in mid 2006 and that was already delayed a lot.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

West Village has changed its 4 story condo project to a 5 story marriot residence inn with a restarant on the bottom floor. They are beginning their 2nd row of townhomes this month. Should be an interesting project for the area. The area filled with apartments and houses on the other side of Grand River has been getting upgraded and hopefully this will lead to better housing and commercial uses for this area.

Archived