Greensboro marketing strategies

krazeeboi

I will say, I believe that Greensboro does a pretty good job of marketing itself, especially considering its size. I say that because when browsing the CVB website, there are also links to other website, such as the Chamber of Commerce, Action Greensboro, Greensboro Connects, Downtown Greensboro, Inc., South Elm Redevelopment, Greensboro magazine online, etc. I think that it is things like these that give off the impression that Greensboro is really attempting to distinguish itself as the dominant city in the Triad.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you can look at dominance in a number of ways. For example, High Point is the dominant city when it comes to furniture. Winston-Salem is the dominant city when it comes to financial institutions and research but there is a perception that Greensboro is the "overall" dominant city in Triad and usually there is truth behind perception. But all three Triad cities are different and have their stregnths and weakness.

uhhh...whats so profound about that? all three triad cities market themselves in that way.

As an outsider, I don't see it like that at all. Greensboro puts itself "out there" a LOT more than the other two cities, IMO (especially High Point).

Greensboro may try to market itself as the dominant city, but its not. its the largest. thats a big difference.
But that's my point: marketing influences perception and can make a signifcant difference in the grand scheme of things.

I think you can look at dominance in a number of ways. For example, High Point is the dominant city when it comes to furniture. Winston-Salem is the dominant city when it comes to financial institutions and research but there is a perception that Greensboro is the "overall" dominant city in Triad and usually there is truth behind perception. But all three Triad cities are different and have their stregnths and weakness.

When looking at how a city presents and markets itself overall and in its entirety, it seems that Greensboro does a better job than the other two Triad cities, or even better than cities its size in the South in general.

i agree with the fact that people who know very little about the Triad may think that Greensboro is the dominant city. however, I still disagree with Greensboro is puttingg itself out there more than the other two. Greensboro's name is on the airport, which is another issue, and the coliseum. those two things and maybe the ACC are what made Greensboro the city it is today..as far as being recognized.

here are some W-S city links that o the same job as the GSO ones:

cityofws.org

winstonsalem.com

dwsp.org

wscvb.com

wsbi.net

intothearts.org

dadaws.org

i agree with the fact that people who know very little about the Triad may think that Greensboro is the dominant city. however, I still disagree with Greensboro is puttingg itself out there more than the other two. Greensboro's name is on the airport, which is another issue, and the coliseum. those two things and maybe the ACC are what made Greensboro the city it is today..as far as being recognized.

here are some W-S city links that o the same job as the GSO ones:

cityofws.org

winstonsalem.com

dwsp.org

wscvb.com

wsbi.net

intothearts.org

dadaws.org

I would argue that Greensboro does not derive notoriety from the ACC, but rather the hometowns of the ACC schools - Chapel Hill, Charlottesville, Winston-Salem, College Park, Durham, Atlanta, etc. - are what people think of whenever the ACC is brought up and not Greensboro.

Outside of NC, in New York, for example, Winston-Salem tends to be the better known and presumably dominant (however that term is defined) cityin the Triad because of the North Carolina School of the Arts (a lot of drama, music, design/production, film, etc alums come to NY), Wake Forest University (a top 25 national university in 2005 US News & World Report and competitive college basketball team), the arts community in general (SECCA, the National Black Repertory Festival, Riverrun Film Festival, the Moravian Music Foundation, the first chair french horn in the NY Philharmonic is from W-S, the co-founder of the Mostly Mozart Festival at Lincoln Center lives 3/4 of the year in W-S, Rosemary Harris and Jennifer Ealy, the first mother and daughter to be nominated for Best Actress Tony in the same year are from/live in W-S, etc - Greensboro does get props for the excellent EMF), RJ Reynolds, the financial institutions - Wachovia (which was well known before merging w/ First Union) & BB&T, Hanes, Krispy Kreme, Old Salem, Moravian cookies and sugar cake, the emerging wine region of the Yadkin Valley, etc. The only mention of Greensboro in NYC tends to be on the departures/arrivals board at the airports.

Also, another good, well-designed and arguably more market savy site is:

http://www.visitwinston-salem.com

Additionally, High Point is reasonably well-known, and quite possibly better known than GSO, in NYC because of the furniture industry and its associated furniture market.

I certainly know of Winston-Salem's history and importance to NC and would argue that Winston-Salem and Greensboro are pretty much on equal footing. One thing that I think really helps Greensboro out though is the coliseum, historically having been the largest arena in NC until the Charlotte Coliseum was built, and now that that has been demolished, Greensboro once again has bragging rights to that. Greensboro seems to get pretty significant conventions/meetings for a city its size.

I would argue that Greensboro does not derive notoriety from the ACC, but rather the hometowns of the ACC schools - Chapel Hill, Charlottesville, Winston-Salem, College Park, Durham, Atlanta, etc. - are what people think of whenever the ACC is brought up and not Greensboro.

Outside of NC, in New York, for example, Winston-Salem tends to be the better known and presumably dominant (however that term is defined) cityin the Triad because of the North Carolina School of the Arts (a lot of drama, music, design/production, film, etc alums come to NY), Wake Forest University (a top 25 national university in 2005 US News & World Report and competitive college basketball team), the arts community in general (SECCA, the National Black Repertory Festival, Riverrun Film Festival, the Moravian Music Foundation, the first chair french horn in the NY Philharmonic is from W-S, the co-founder of the Mostly Mozart Festival at Lincoln Center lives 3/4 of the year in W-S, Rosemary Harris and Jennifer Ealy, the first mother and daughter to be nominated for Best Actress Tony in the same year are from/live in W-S, etc - Greensboro does get props for the excellent EMF), RJ Reynolds, the financial institutions - Wachovia (which was well known before merging w/ First Union) & BB&T, Hanes, Krispy Kreme, Old Salem, Moravian cookies and sugar cake, the emerging wine region of the Yadkin Valley, etc. The only mention of Greensboro in NYC tends to be on the departures/arrivals board at the airports.

Also, another good, well-designed and arguably more market savy site is:

http://www.visitwinston-salem.com

Additionally, High Point is reasonably well-known, and quite possibly better known than GSO, in NYC because of the furniture industry and its associated furniture market.

Whoa.......

I graduated from NCSA a while back and keep up with orchestra news...especially brass.

The Principal horn in the NYPhil is Phil Meyers and I believe he was originally from Indiana.

That given, there are a few players in the NYPhil as well as other orchestras that either attended or graduated from NCSA. Joe Robinson (a Lenoir, NC native) has just recently retired as Principal oboe of more than 25 years in the NY Phil......that may be who you are thinking about.

Whoa.......

I graduated from NCSA a while back and keep up with orchestra news...especially brass.

The Principal horn in the NYPhil is Phil Meyers and I believe he was originally from Indiana.

That given, there are a few players in the NYPhil as well as other orchestras that either attended or graduated from NCSA. Joe Robinson (a Lenoir, NC native) has just recently retired as Principal oboe of more than 25 years in the NY Phil......that may be who you are thinking about.

You're correct. I confused the two - I was thinking of Joe Robinson, who used to be at NCSA. My parents knew him through the school and the Winston-Salem Symphony.

You're correct. I confused the two - I was thinking of Joe Robinson, who used to be at NCSA. My parents knew him through the school and the Winston-Salem Symphony.

Yup, I thought you were thinking of him. Mr. Robinson taught at NCSA and was principal in the Atlanta Symphony for a number of years before he got the principal oboe spot in 1978 in the NYPhil. Wonderful player!

=====================================================================

I think Greensboro is probably more marketed simply because it is the largest city in the triad. On a national level, I think it is pretty even between G-boro and W-S as far as marketing themselves. They should work together more than compete with each other.

Archived