What is Columbia known for?

Spartan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To thousands of women around the world, Columbia is known as the home base for The Firm. The studio is in Five Points on Hardin St. The Firm actually originated in Charleston which is where the first studio was opened. The first video was also filmed in Charleston. After the owners solf The Firm, the Charleston studio closed. Now, only Cola remains.

FWIW, The Firm's founders have a new company called Women's Health and Fitness Network also based in Columbia. The former Charleston instructors now work at a club called, V. If you've never been there, try it. It's an upscale health club. Very nice. They make videos, too! Tracie Long Training

You'd be amazed, but there truly are women from all over the world who have heard of Columbia (some even visit) because of the The Firm studio and videos. SC in general has quite the reputation for fitness videos!

Hey, not only women go to the Firm, men go there too. I went for about 6 months before I got bored with the routine.

And to think, Cola used to be only known for its oppressive heat....

The last time I was in Greenville was to visit a friend who had just moved there. It was summer and during a walk he was the one to finally mention the miserable humidity and heat. I said, "Just my luck - every time I go to Charleston in the summer and now to Greenville, it just happens to be on a day when the heat and humidity make Columbia's feel mild - must just be the wind currents."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Pope's visit in the 1980's & the NCAA sanctions a few years back I think have been the biggest Columbia oriented news stories, besides the SC primaries. Otherwise, I don't think anyone nationally has a solid image of what Columbia is like - people know about Charleston & people equate Greenville with Atlanta & Charlotte due to high tech growth, sprawl & I-85. But Columbia unfortunately sits in a no-man's land of people's city knowledge.

• 1 month later...

If we are talking in terms of around the country, then I would say it is known for very little. When I lived in Colorado, only some people even knew that Columbia was the capital of SC (much the same way most people here don't know many capitals out West). Likewise, Greenville was known to only a few (yet still more than I would have thought). More people had heard of Charleston, but overwhelmingly, MYB was the big winner from SC (unfortunately in my opinion), and even Hilton Head (to my surprise).

• 2 weeks later...

Soon we should have a better idea of what Columbia is known for. The former president/CEO of the Austin, TX convention center, now president/CEO of Columbia's Convention and Visitors' Bureau, says that in general Columbia has more going for it than Austin did before Austin got to be known, and under his charge the bureau is going to come up with a new slogan within about 12 weeks to attract convention planners, according to the attached article from The State newspaper. Maybe they'll discover my Urbanplanet. org slogan and ask if they may adopt it.

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/414441.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived